Is there any videos about OTG in Windows Phone 8.1

Artanik

Apr 9, 2014
Visit site
Hi
I have googled about OTG on Windows Phone 8.1 and most results have this twitte
attachment.php

is there any additional information about OTG on windows phone 8.1?
Any videos about this feature on Lumia 930 or Lumia 630?

Attachments

• wp81-usb-otg.jpg
    wp81-usb-otg.jpg
    45.8 KB · Views: 110

foxbat121

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
It is not a feature announced by either Microsoft or Nokia during WP8.1 announcement. So, I assume this feature didn't make it to WP8.1 or any of the upcoming Nokia phones like 630/635/930.

Poirots Progeny

Dec 22, 2013
Visit site
That's a shame - would be a useful feature, especially for a connected future. Not everyone wants to use the cloud, and i know it could see enterprise use.

foxbat121

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
I don't see why it is useful for enterprise use. Most enterprise ITs want to disable SD card and any external USB storage usage or at least make encryption on them mandatory. None of the Google Nexus devices have official USB OTG support without 3rd party hacks or software either.

Poirots Progeny

Dec 22, 2013
Visit site
Suppose it depends on where you work then.

As for nexus devices - for the finance sector, in the uk, and in my particular field ( think I've covered all the caveats here lol) - people only pick up Sammy products. And there are a heck of a lot of them. Way more than apple could dream. All with respective locked out roms; so no google services but, as you say, encrypted sd cards and usb otg.

Different use case, i guess. Either way, just because you don't want it doesn't mean it wouldn't be useful for someone else. Choice is good, right? ;)

Ezhik

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
I don't see why it is useful for enterprise use. Most enterprise ITs want to disable SD card and any external USB storage usage or at least make encryption on them mandatory. None of the Google Nexus devices have official USB OTG support without 3rd party hacks or software either.

Depends on the enterprise. And Microsoft is not Google.

Poirots Progeny

Dec 22, 2013
Visit site
Precisely - MS is not google.

Even with android devices companies are still fielding MS back end servers. Surely this would be q good place for MS to pick up traction. I know the 625 has been tested in three companies, but the connectivity, spartan email attachment and poor file manipulation options have rendered the platform moot. MS is well aware of this conundrum - they will address these issues, all comes down to time!

foxbat121

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
Don't get me wrong. I like USB OTG but I just have a hard time to imagine why this is important for enterprise. You still have no file manager and apps are still quite limited as to where to read/write data. One example MS demonstrated in Build 2014 is the enterprise MDM where they showed how to easily disable write to SD card functionality on WP :)

As for Google Nexus, it's just to demonstrate how the most popular mobile platform out there doesn't support OTG out of box either although Samsung always supports it on its phones.

And this probably is why the feature didn't make the cut for WP8.1 (not definitive but we will know for sure when Dev preview releases).

Personally, I like to see Miracast more than USB OTG. And it is still unclear which phone will definitely get Miracast support in 8.1 (there are mentions of 1520 but no definitive answer).

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nathanboro12