Should Nokia consider naming their flagship by a NAME (not a #)?

ShreyansShah

Aug 12, 2013
Visit site
Names work better than numbers. What is the Lumia 2520? iPad Air = so much simpler.

its really not that simple. u r not considering and comparing the whole thing.
try iPad Air 8 GB, 16 GB, 32 GB, 64 GB
then iPad 1st gen 16 GB, 32 GB,
then iPad 2nd Gen 16 GB, 32 GB, 64 GB
then iPad 3rd gen 16 GB, 32 GB, 64 GB

where is it simple?

anyway, Nokia has a tradition to use numbers since long. there is no reason to break the tradition.

MARKjotep

Mar 31, 2014
Visit site
hopefully they continue using names just like the ICON. ;)

new flagship line .. let say.
NOKIA XD
LUMIA N series. haha.
LUMIA C
LUMIA X
LUMIA one(haha)
LUMIA S (Lol)
Lumia I (familiar)
LUMIA.... cant think ov anything else. hahaha.

anyway. true blood nokia fan wont be confused with the naming system nokia currently has.

But it will benefit other people IMHO..

smoledman

Banned
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
there have been eight models of iPhone, all with different number /letter suffixes.

No Apple only sells 3 generations of iPhone at any one time. Sure there are a lot of SKUs once you account for storage & color, but it's still far fewer then Samsung.

TLRtheory

Nov 16, 2013
Visit site
Regardless of their status as a mass producer, they should really consider that a name has to be recognizable before it can sell.

I quite seriously despise Apple, but their marketing ploy is dead on. You never have to play the guessing game of what it is when you see someone with an Apple product. I came across another WP owner in the wild recently and he didn't even know what phone he had. Took us a couple minutes of googling obscure codes under the battery to discover what it was (some Huawei phone I've already forgotten... emphasizing my point further).

While the numbers system isn't hard to decipher, it doesn't have the kind of appeal that'd make it catch on. Something like; say: the Lumia 520 could be called the Lumia Essence for offering essentials, or Lumia Optic instead of Lumia 1020 since it focuses so much on abnormally superb camera experience.

While I'm sure better monikers could be created, the point is that they work more effectively than numbers. When I had my Samsung Ativ XE500-T1A US, I'd get asked all the time what it is and just answering that was complicated. Now that I have a Surface Pro, my answer to which tablet I'm using can simply be Surface Pro.

Associating a device with a name allows it to at least have a chance at getting it's name in circulation. Think the iPad would be as successful if Apple came on stage and announced it as the Apple A1432? Hell ****ing no.

While it may seem like it's not a big deal, the lack of recognizable names do a lot more damage to the entire Windows Phone platform than you'd think. Lumia Icon was a step in the right direction, and for doing so it's already displaying that the WP platform has some class instead of everyone just defaulting to the Lumia 520 because it's cheap.

If Nokia decides to wisen up, the naming of Lumia 630/635/930 won't make it to the public.

Last edited:

ShreyansShah

Aug 12, 2013
Visit site
i suggest if they are doing it, they should use the codenames they had already used belonging to the James Bond series, Bond movie names, characters, some gadgets, places and other stuff such as Martini.

Vodka Martini, Shaken, not stired.

bionicgt

Mar 23, 2014
Visit site
That's my point bro! there you go !
Regardless of their status as a mass producer, they should really consider that a name has to be recognizable before it can sell.

I quite seriously despise Apple, but their marketing ploy is dead on. You never have to play the guessing game of what it is when you see someone with an Apple product. I came across another WP owner in the wild recently and he didn't even know what phone he had. Took us a couple minutes of googling obscure codes under the battery to discover what it was (some Huawei phone I've already forgotten... emphasizing my point further).

While the numbers system isn't hard to decipher, it doesn't have the kind of appeal that'd make it catch on. Something like; say: the Lumia 520 could be called the Lumia Essence for offering essentials, or Lumia Optic instead of Lumia 1020 since it focuses so much on abnormally superb camera experience.

While I'm sure better monikers could be created, the point is that they work more effectively than numbers. When I had my Samsung Ativ XE500-T1A US, I'd get asked all the time what it is and just answering that was complicated. Now that I have a Surface Pro, my answer to which tablet I'm using can simply be Surface Pro.

Associating a device with a name allows it to at least have a chance at getting it's name in circulation. Think the iPad would be as successful if Apple came on stage and announced it as the Apple A1432? Hell ****ing no.

While it may seem like it's not a big deal, the lack of recognizable names do a lot more damage to the entire Windows Phone platform than you'd think. Lumia Icon was a step in the right direction, and for doing so it's already displaying that the WP platform has some class instead of everyone just defaulting to the Lumia 520 because it's cheap.

If Nokia decides to wisen up, the naming of Lumia 630/635/930 won't make it to the public.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
killshot4077