Pebble Support - Windows Phone 8.1

kyriacou48

Aug 20, 2012
Visit site
Hi All,

So this is a pretty big deal for me, and maybe many others. But regardless, I'm curious about whether or not any First Party (or incredibly well developed third-party) support for Pebble in Windows Phone 8.1 is going to eventuate.

About a month ago, I purchased a Pebble at a really good price. I really like the idea of being able to see notifications, feeds, statuses and lots of other important information on my wrist - it's very good.

However, I have only really worn the watch once or twice, and to this point, there is no Pebble Support except the third party efforts which have been incredibly limited due to OS constraints.

So - my question is - has anyone heard or can find out about Pebble Support in WP 8.1? Daniel mentioned that Pebble support is coming, but I suppose my question is how long.

I knew that buying a Pebble would be useless with WP8 in its current state, but bought purely for the fact that I had read that Pebble support is finally coming.

If anyone could shed some light on this, it'd be greatly appreciated.

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
According to what I heard, the APIs where opened up a little in 8.1 for smart device/watch use. There was limits on how the data could be accessed on WP8, and that is why you dont see a full fleged Smartphone with 100% compatablity with Windows Phone. This was rumored to be addressed in 8.1... I hope so, I think I would enjoy using a smartwatch as soon as they are not as bulky and look good (with QI charging too).

I posted this on Twitter to Joe, but, of course never got a reply.

badplanet

Oct 28, 2013
Visit site
I developed Pebble Watch Pro and Pebble Watch Lite for WP8. I can tell you that right now, what I am hearing is that only Wireless Carriers and Device Manufacturers will get permission to access info from incoming phone calls, SMS and incoming emails on WP8.1.

I may try to develop a new Pebble app for WP8.1 but I am not hopefull I will get access to these features....

Gregory Ryan

Jul 24, 2014
Visit site
I developed Pebble Watch Pro and Pebble Watch Lite for WP8. I can tell you that right now, what I am hearing is that only Wireless Carriers and Device Manufacturers will get permission to access info from incoming phone calls, SMS and incoming emails on WP8.1.

I may try to develop a new Pebble app for WP8.1 but I am not hopefull I will get access to these features....

Is there a possibility of sideloading apps that aren't approved on windows phone? Or could you not even use those APIs without being approved? Just wanting to know the scope of this situation

PabsTheGeek

Jul 13, 2014
Visit site
This! Its the only disappointment I have coming to WP8.1 Coming from Android and iOS, I've used my Pebble on all of these devices with no problem. I knew that my Pebble wouldn't work right away, but hoping support will come.

bulls96

Jun 25, 2007
Visit site
Hopefully MSFT can release their own smartwatch so all our problems are solved!

Sent from my Surface Pro 3 using Tapatalk

Alex Rodriguez Jr.

Feb 16, 2011
Visit site

Rules have been known to have been bent in the past.

badplanet

Oct 28, 2013
Visit site
Rules have been known to have been bent in the past.

I agree and I did get an OK from MS in Feburary of this year to get access but they wanted Pebble to be included in the conversation. So they added Pebble to the distribution list and then I got an email from the MS Engineer I was working with. He wanted to talk on the phone. When I spoke to him he said he was sorry but they could not get me the access I wanted specifically for the Pebble. He said some lines got crossed and now he said he could not help.

My guess is when Pebble found out MS was going to provide the access I needed to Phone calls, SMS and emails for my Pebble apps they requested that no 3rd party developers be given that access. My guess is that either Pebble is working on an official app or MS is working with Pebble on an official app.

bulls96

Jun 25, 2007
Visit site
I agree and I did get an OK from MS in Feburary of this year to get access but they wanted Pebble to be included in the conversation. So they added Pebble to the distribution list and then I got an email from the MS Engineer I was working with. He wanted to talk on the phone. When I spoke to him he said he was sorry but they could not get me the access I wanted specifically for the Pebble. He said some lines got crossed and now he said he could not help.

My guess is when Pebble found out MS was going to provide the access I needed to Phone calls, SMS and emails for my Pebble apps they requested that no 3rd party developers be given that access. My guess is that either Pebble is working on an official app or MS is working with Pebble on an official app.

Any updates on this front?

Pebble watches including Pebble Steel has come down in price to a poi t I am actually considering buying one.

Thanks for your efforts in making a Pebble app!

badplanet

Oct 28, 2013
Visit site
Here is the latest:

Only device manufacturers and wireless carriers are supposed to have access but a Pebble user put a request on the MS Uservoice site specifically to get access for me to be able to use those type of APIs and it might have worked. I received a mostly cryptic message from MS that they might have approved the request. I need to put in a support ticket after I have a WinRT Pebble app written for WP8.1 that can run in the background. Apparently these calls have hooks for WinRT background processes and it doesn't look like I will be able to upgrade the existing Pebble Watch Pro app directly. This will not be a fast project.

Here is the thread about the app:
Windows Phone 8 - Pebble App - Pebble Forums

Here is the link to the issue on the Microsoft User Voice site:
https://windowsphone.uservoice.com/...e-allow-greg-banta-of-bad-planet-software-ful

Last edited:

richv77

Mar 20, 2012
Visit site
I just installed the Lite version and I cannot receive SMS messages on my Lumia 930 running 8.1.
The test message works from within the app but it's very slow to work.

Thanks for any comments.

​-Rich

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rhiannonbarion