Concerned about Xbox Music

mozman68

Dec 29, 2013
Visit site
Re: Xbox music on 8.1

Trying mine now...hoping this is just an initial update. Was scared for a second when there was no music in there!

thelostsoul

Jan 1, 2013
Visit site

It is absolutely atrocious! I have about 200 songs on my phone, and about 4000 in the cloud. The damn app takes forever to initially build the database, then when it's finally done, I go to "Artists" and it shows nothing. I figure maybe it's because it needs to restart. I exit and go back, same deal! It takes less time on the loading new music message, but still doesn't show me anything! I really hope they fix this!

gapost

Dec 1, 2004
Visit site

Yeah, hopefully they will fix it. Isn't this 8.1 update considered kind of like beta and things found by "developers" will be fixed in a final release?

thelostsoul

Jan 1, 2013
Visit site

Yeah, hopefully they will fix it. Isn't this 8.1 update considered kind of like beta and things found by "developers" will be fixed in a final release?
Yes, but usually these are pretty close to final bits.

Also, I turned off streaming music (in the settings), let it resync my music, then turned it back on and let it resync my music. It seems slightly better now. It also seems to help if you don't go straight to artists. Instead, go to radio then swipe to artists.

tk-093

Aug 30, 2010
Visit site

I'm downloading all my songs again, but I don't see any real slowness at all. Now, I'm using an 928 with all internal storage? Is your music on a SD card? Could that be a bottleneck?

techygeek82

Sep 16, 2011
Visit site

The 'good' news is, this is now STORE updatable. So they could still be working on the final build of Xbox Music yet.

Boggy79

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site

700+ songs on the phone, only took 2-3 minutes to be usable. Hell, it could take 2 minutes to launch everytime I want to use it now and I wouldn't care, we can finally create and edit playlists on the phone now without needing to have an Xbox music pass!!!! WOO HOO!

Connor Poole1

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site

I for one think this is a big upgrade. Sure the initial use may take 10 minutes to sync (thats how long it took to add my 8000 songs, and yes, it was VERY unusable during that period). But after sync is complete we get:
  • editable playlists
  • cortana's music search takes you to THE song, not the album
  • Artists and songs are playable by Cortana
  • separately updatable app

thelostsoul

Jan 1, 2013
Visit site

I for one think this is a big upgrade. Sure the initial use may take 10 minutes to sync (thats how long it took to add my 8000 songs, and yes, it was VERY unusable during that period). But after sync is complete we get:
  • editable playlists
  • cortana's music search takes you to THE song, not the album
  • Artists and songs are playable by Cortana
  • separately updatable app
Is that 8000 songs on your device or in the cloud?

My problem is with the cloud music - even after it took 10+ minutes to sync, whenever I reopen it, if I go straight to artists, it will take a while to load the names. Anyone else having this problem? I'm considering just giving it a hard reset ...

squire777

Feb 21, 2012
Visit site

Not having any issues here.

Took about 3 minutes on the initial launch to get all the information for artists and albums and then it's all smooth sailing now

MoggSquad

Jun 21, 2012
Visit site
Xbox Video / Xbox Music does not support SD Card Move

Both Xbox Music & Video do not have the option to move to SD Card. I am assuming it's baked into the OS as the reason.

On 8.0, all videos were stored on internal storage. Has anyone tried on 8.1 yet?

It would be a pity of video and music, 2 of the biggest space hogs couldn't be moved to the SD.

dnmartin98

Nov 9, 2010
Visit site

I have about 4000 in the cloud. Each time I open the app I get "updating collection..." and it starts from the beginning again. It does this every single time. It eventually gets to the end of my collection. Then if I go and do anything else and restart XBOX Music we go through the same thing again. It takes it about 5-10 minutes each time to do this and the phone heats up while doing it. This is on WiFi as well. It would be unusable on cellular at this rate. I'm really disappointed in this. Everything else seems fine but this is awful....

FFugue

Dec 19, 2011
Visit site

I have about 4000 in the cloud. Each time I open the app I get "updating collection..." and it starts from the beginning again. It does this every single time. It eventually gets to the end of my collection. Then if I go and do anything else and restart XBOX Music we go through the same thing again. It takes it about 5-10 minutes each time to do this and the phone heats up while doing it. This is on WiFi as well. It would be unusable on cellular at this rate. I'm really disappointed in this. Everything else seems fine but this is awful....

I don't think it will change anything on cellular. It load your collection from the cloud only the first time. Then it simply load the list of artists from your phone. But it's really slow to load even from the phone. I hope thy will fix that. At least if you jump to another letter it loads from that letter so you don't have to wait for it to get from A to R to load artists that start with R.

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site

I really miss being able to swipe through songs to skip...
Now I have to try hitting those even smaller buttons...

It feels a lot slower, where I prefer the previous one. At least its updateable.
The cloud thing is welcome, but i dont use it

bear_lx

Jun 28, 2011
Visit site

I've noticed that podcasts are removed and is a stand alone app now... furthermore, one thing i don't like, is it took away the history, and recent tabs. one thing i hated about windows phones was the lack of features in terms of managing music. when i download songs from xbox music , i would like them to be available in a playlist of recent music. for some reason nothing i download shows up in that playlist. so i always used the recent and history tabs to find my stuff.

garak0410

Jan 8, 2009
Visit site

It found my cloud collection but the Artist list is not populating...it will say LOOKING FOR MUSIC and ALL MUSIC is selected but nothing shows up...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ailanamargarett