I have to be honest-love Nokia and Windows but considering LG G3

BlackZeppelin

Mar 24, 2014
Visit site
Hi all. Well, I have made a number of threads regarding Windows OS and Nokia phones. I have just the lowly Lumia 520, but no other manufacturer gives you so much and does so well for the price. So I decide to upgrade. This is where some of my doubts started.

I absolutely loved the idea of the Lumia 1020. But I tried 2 from the same store and had major battery issues. Very reluctantly, I returned both of them. When I look at Nokia's upper end phones, I realize a major flaw compared to other manufacturers, (and I have posted a thread on this). That Nokia do not have a true flagship, with one phone having all the best features. Not only that, but lagging behind the other manufacturers. So whilst everyone else is making flagships with the Snapdragon 801, Nokia's latest high end L930 does with an 800. And whilst everyone else is making flagships with at least 2800mAh batteries, Nokia makes with 2400mAh. If I buy a high end Nokia, I have to pick and choose what I want and pick what I have to live without. Not in my opinion the way forward. So I cannot have a 3000mAh battery with the 41mp camera, removable micro SD storage and the latest processor, (for Nokia anyway). If I want the best camera, I make do with a smaller battery and lesser processor. If I want micro SD storage, I settle for the 20mp camera. If I want the Snapdragon 800, I live both without SD and the 41mp camera. And to be totally honest, I am finding this very disconcerting and looking around. I honestly believe that Nokia do low end phones far better than high end phones.

I very nearly settled on the HTC M8. Everything I want except for that damn 4mp camera. Deal breaker straight away. I don't want a Samsung and I despise iphone. I have been reading all the rumored specs of the upcoming LG G3 and I am very, very interested. If the specs turn out to be true, I will seriously consider buying it. I kind of feel really bad. I really do love Windows OS and I was really looking forward to W8.1. But whilst I considered the L930, I know that the stunning processor in the upcoming LG G3, if true, plus the much larger battery will just run rings round it. I read reviews on the LG G2 and the reviews are awesome, particularly battery life. I promised myself never to get another phone, I don't care how great, unless it has good battery life. A few days with the L1020 drove me nuts, despite all the lovely features on it. Simply because of that heavy battery drain.

Part of me is still holding out for the rumoured Nokia Goldfinger, 1030, 1820 or whatever it is. That could be still a long time off. And of course no guarantee that it has all the features of a flagship phone in one package. Maybe it will be a stunning phone with the best camera and again, poor battery life. It's either wait for a vaguely rumored device with no details about it, or get something in a couple of months with stunning specs and great battery life.

Sigh...............I would appreciate some words of wisdom and honest unbiased advice. As I say, if the HTC M8 had say at least a 13mp camera, I would have gotten it. Now I see something coming up with even better specs but am torn about leaving Windows and Nokia. And please understand one thing. I am not some spoilt teenage airhead who just wants all the latest and greatest. I was really disappointed when I finally decided not to upgrade to the L930. I am not convinced about it's battery size and performance, but if it had a larger battery, I would have definately have gotten it. Despite other high end phones having better specs still.

It's just that whilst I contemplate not getting another Nokia Windows phone, then in that case only do I look at all the specs in detail and go for the phone with all the latest and greatest. I was fully aware of some of the dated specs of the L1020 when I bought it. Because I feel an emotional attachment to Nokia and Windows, I don't look for all the latest specs when considering a flagship. I just wanted all their best features in one phone, even when theirs was still lagging behind other manufacturers. When considering an Android phone, in that case I look for all the latest features.

If you can understand that.

So again, thoughts, advice and opinions please.

Last edited:

jobinthomas

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
I can tell you that the LG phones are pretty good. My wife has the g2 and it is a breeze to use and feels very slick and snappy. She's in love with it and the kitkat update made it even better. I'd assume the g3 to keep those and only add more features so I think that'd be a good choice.

Yea I love the m8 too but the 4mp camera is such a turn off especially since we've all been spoiled by Nokia. It's a shame really since the m8 is one of the most gorgeous phones in a while

BlackZeppelin

Mar 24, 2014
Visit site
I can tell you that the LG phones are pretty good. My wife has the g2 and it is a breeze to use and feels very slick and snappy. She's in love with it and the kitkat update made it even better. I'd assume the g3 to keep those and only add more features so I think that'd be a good choice.

Yea I love the m8 too but the 4mp camera is such a turn off especially since we've all been spoiled by Nokia. It's a shame really since the m8 is one of the most gorgeous phones in a while

Thanks for the reply. The final clincher for me on that HTC was that dot matrix case. One of the best features I've seen. But sadly, the camera was a let down. No OIS even!!! No way HTC. But still really sad to leave Nokia and Windows. Haven't decided yet.

freestaterocker

Nov 19, 2011
Visit site
As much as I like the idea of a Lumia "with everything", throwing a 3000mah battery, Qi wireless charging, all other top end specs, AND that monster 41mp sensor onto the same device would result in the world's fattest, most prohibitively expensive smart device, and only the 10 richest, most diehard Nokia fanboys would buy it. Nokia isn't going to do a run of 10 phones that might not even all sell. For that matter, neither will MS when they take over Nokia D&S.

It would be a hard enough sell for an Android flagship. OEMs have to balance a healthy dose of features people want as a price people will pay, and when you're talking about an OS that, let's face it, has niche appeal at best, it's a very distant pipe dream.

Maybe now that MS has removed licensing fees for devices under 9" and loosened hardware requirements, you'll get lucky and LG will drop WP8.1 into the G3 and come back to the fold as a Windows Phone OEM partner... For me personally, I've known too many unhappy LG phone owners to ever give them my money. The same with HTC, who I was personally burned by.

BlackZeppelin

Mar 24, 2014
Visit site
As much as I like the idea of a Lumia "with everything", throwing a 3000mah battery, Qi wireless charging, all other top end specs, AND that monster 41mp sensor onto the same device would result in the world's fattest, most prohibitively expensive smart device, and only the 10 richest, most diehard Nokia fanboys would buy it. Nokia isn't going to do a run of 10 phones that might not even all sell. For that matter, neither will MS when they take over Nokia D&S.

It would be a hard enough sell for an Android flagship. OEMs have to balance a healthy dose of features people want as a price people will pay, and when you're talking about an OS that, let's face it, has niche appeal at best, it's a very distant pipe dream.

Maybe now that MS has removed licensing fees for devices under 9" and loosened hardware requirements, you'll get lucky and LG will drop WP8.1 into the G3 and come back to the fold as a Windows Phone OEM partner... For me personally, I've known too many unhappy LG phone owners to ever give them my money. The same with HTC, who I was personally burned by.

Well buddy, I think a Lumia "with everything" as you say is very possible. Other phone makers can do it, why not Nokia? I have just posted in the "upcoming and rumoured devices" section about a possible Lumia 1820 with absolutely top specs. I believe it will happen now as the case for it is advertised on a French manufacturer's website. Here is a link:

nokia 1820 | Noreve - Haute Couture for Mobile Devices

The same rumours that state positively a Lumia 1820 also state a Samsung Galaxy S5 Zoom and the same French case manufacturer states "Avaliable soon" when you type that into its search field. So I am holding off on buying anything and eagerly anticipating a Lumia 1820.

freestaterocker

Nov 19, 2011
Visit site
Well buddy, I think a Lumia "with everything" as you say is very possible. Other phone makers can do it, why not Nokia? I have just posted in the "upcoming and rumoured devices" section about a possible Lumia 1820 with absolutely top specs. I believe it will happen now as the case for it is advertised on a French manufacturer's website. Here is a link:

nokia 1820 | Noreve - Haute Couture for Mobile Devices

The same rumours that state positively a Lumia 1820 also state a Samsung Galaxy S5 Zoom and the same French case manufacturer states "Avaliable soon" when you type that into its search field. So I am holding off on buying anything and eagerly anticipating a Lumia 1820.

Yeah... While I genuinely hope I'm wrong, I stand by my previous statement. And as far as the 1820 goes: http://www.windowscentral.com/no-there-no-nokia-lumia-1820

Again; I hope I'm wrong, as I'd buy it, but...

MrGoodSmith

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
The closest phone to a flagship Nokia has built is the 1520. I can easily live with 20MP instead of 41 (no hump in the back, image quality is still very good compared to Lumia 1020), and I didn't mind the 6" screen. If you are ok with these 2 issues, you will love everything else about the Lumia 1520, which is the phone I'm using now, and the one I've been waiting for since my Nokia N95 !

freestaterocker

Nov 19, 2011
Visit site
The closest phone to a flagship Nokia has built is the 1520. I can easily live with 20MP instead of 41 (no hump in the back, image quality is still very good compared to Lumia 1020), and I didn't mind the 6" screen. If you are ok with these 2 issues, you will love everything else about the Lumia 1520, which is the phone I'm using now, and the one I've been waiting for since my Nokia N95 !

The Icon/upcoming 930 is a 5" 1520...

unstoppablekem

Sep 23, 2011
Visit site
The LG android phones are really good, but I suggest waiting for the Nexus 6, as that will be better, cheaper, and receive update before it, as LG sucks with updates. I don't think the G2 has KitKat officially yet...

DaT Franchise

Mar 2, 2014
Visit site
The G3 will be an absolute monster if it comes with the 64bit 805, I have a g2 and it is the best android phone money can buy period but I can tell you my 1520 is significantly faster and much better battery life and the 1520 camera is a little bit better. So you really need to ask yourself android or windows as the G3 will be very good, how much better is yet to be seen as it will still run the same camera and kitkat, the only thing that would make it worth it is if the 805 is all its touted (most likely will be) up to be and if LG does a 2k or 4k screen.

freestaterocker

Nov 19, 2011
Visit site
The G3 will be an absolute monster if it comes with the 64bit 805, I have a g2 and it is the best android phone money can buy period but I can tell you my 1520 is significantly faster and much better battery life and the 1520 camera is a little bit better. So you really need to ask yourself android or windows as the G3 will be very good, how much better is yet to be seen as it will still run the same camera and kitkat, the only thing that would make it worth it is if the 805 is all its touted (most likely will be) up to be and if LG does a 2k or 4k screen.

Is a 2k or higher screen resolution really a thing that people want? Maybe for tablets and the larger end of the "phablet" market (6.25"+) it'll be noticeable, but c'mon... The 6" 1080p screens out there are razor-sharp as it is. I don't think the hit to battery life will be worth it.

Michael Alan Goff

Jan 15, 2012
Visit site
The 801 is just a slightly higher clocked 800. You're not likely to see a huge performance difference, especially considering the fact that Android is just less efficient.

bijak_riyandi

Apr 4, 2014
Visit site
well, you've been using the 520, right?
how come you're blinded by specs?
you have experienced that Windows Phone is built on efficiency by yourself...

as for 1020, I've never had major battery problems with it...
even if it's small in terms of capacity, it can still withstand a day of moderate use...
and I don't give a damn about it being a dual core device as long as it can handle almost all its stuff seamlessly!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs