Battery life on Windows Phone 8.1- Any improvements?

Status
Not open for further replies.

LillWicke

Oct 11, 2013
Visit site
Everyone downloading such a big update as DP8.1 "must" do a soft reset aftervards.
If you havent done one do that now.

The next day you can open the "Battery Save app" and check what apps are draining you. Disable background on the worse ones or uninstall them.
My battery life now is very much better after the uppdate than it was before, mainly because the control I now have on the apps.

:smile:

KKRLessey

Aug 23, 2012
Visit site
Well I did a soft reset twice but I still have battery drain. Instagram and Whatsapp are my the main causes. Only battery saver seems to stop the excessive drain.

LillWicke

Oct 11, 2013
Visit site
Well I did a soft reset twice but I still have battery drain. Instagram and Whatsapp are my the main causes. Only battery saver seems to stop the excessive drain.
Yes, those apps are well known as excessive battey drainers on all OS.
It must feel good now when you have the evidence and can stop it doesn't it?

:wink:

KKRLessey

Aug 23, 2012
Visit site
Yes, those apps are well known as excessive battey drainers on all OS.
It must feel good now when you have the evidence and can stop it doesn't it?

:wink:

Lol, guess so, guess we wait on the developers to optimize the apps! I'll keep doing full battery discharge and use battery saver as a last resort. But I love the features of 8.1!!

Moiz Mian

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
If you are having battery drain, just wait a few days!! This happens with every update. I think what happens is that the operating system flushes the battery management files when you do any software update, so for a couple days you have high heat and terrible battery life. Yesterday after the update, my phone dropped 40% in 3 hours. Today it's dropped 10% in 5 hours. It has to relearn how to manage battery. I think after about a week the battery drain will be gone. Hopefully for good! :D

edit: This is unrelated to the random drain that we experience sometimes, hopefully that is fixed now.

Helder Costa1

Mar 14, 2014
Visit site
in my case seems i have worse battery life... but like someone said we are just in second day and i'm always playng with the phone so... i just put the most of apps turned offin the background since they were all on with the update and hope things get better here. before i was charging my 920 two in two days...

archimess

Dec 12, 2013
Visit site
You are playing too much with the new features and the battery also needs to settle for a few days. Wait and judge on normal use through out the day.

JimiDiGriz

Feb 23, 2012
Visit site
L820 in the UK so no Cortana. Battery after update is a lot worse. At first I put it down to playing with the new features but Sense showed Skype as off the charts in battery drain (background, I hadn't even opened the app). Uninstalled and reinstalled the app and soft reset the phone. Allowed the battery to drain fully and then charged. It's a little better but nothing like as good as before. I'm getting around 15-18 hours predicted on a charge compared to a day and a half before update. As a note, my phone is on charge all day at work and comes off at 4pm so the 15-18 hours includes a good 8 hours not being actively used while I sleep. Currently going to go through another drain/charge cycle to see if that helps. Interestingly there are no obvious culprits in Sense now.

Angry_Mushroom

Jan 18, 2013
Visit site
Can't say I'm seeing any improvements, but I'm still getting a solid day's worth for now. I'm not seeing any massive increase in battery usage. I expect to know more tomorrow after a full day away from home... hopefully my duplicate song issue will be fixed.

AML1

Aug 10, 2013
Visit site
Windows phone 8.1has much faster refresh cycles( every minute rather than every 30 mins ) this automatically drains battery much faster irrespective of what apps actually run or not

Aswin Rajan

Feb 18, 2014
Visit site
Hey me too!.. ever since i moved to 8.1 DP, the battery life has taken a turn for the worse moving from 14-18 hours to hardly 6-7 hours :(
Battery sense shows Cortana as the main suspect suspect.. I have skype installed (but it comes in the bottom 4 of battery usage apps)
i hope she quickly finishes absorbing the internet or whatever it is that she's doing! :|

The battery life is better now.. in fact, today it seemed to be better than it used to be before the update! (think the battery saver is more efficient now) Cortana also has moved down to no 4 on the power hungry apps list... Hopefully things should further optimize with time.

anon(5562316)

Jan 8, 2013
Visit site
Well after a second day my battery seems to be worse! I'll give it til the weekend before I try a hard reset. I tried making my mail sync only once an hour as has been suggested and that didn't make any difference. I do have 6 email accounts setup though. I'll try disabling location service tomorrow and see if that's works.

Angry_Mushroom

Jan 18, 2013
Visit site
Seeing a slight decrease in battery life now. Gives me an entire day still, so I can't really complain too much. 11 hours since I charged, and I'm at 45% remaining. Nothing stellar honestly. FB Messenger is my top battery eater followed by Cortana and phone.

Saeed1133

Oct 11, 2013
Visit site
I have same problem with my Lumia 820. before installing WP 8.1 i would be charge my phone once in 3 days but after installing WP 8.1 i charge it every days. i have closed every programs that eat battery even cortana and soft reset my phone but nothing change yet. hope microsoft solve this problem and give an os update.

Samm Neiland

Oct 11, 2013
Visit site
I've found the battery is still a bit wonky on my 925 at least. For a while, WP8 was actually spot on with conserving my battery. Like I could go for a whole day and still have like 60% battery with mild use (listening to music in the car, checking twitter/skype/sms every now and again, make a short call) but I've found 8.1 isn't quite as efficient... or at least, its reporting the battery stats its just a bit weird?

So as I was headed home, my phone was reporting it had about 40% battery. Then I restarted my phone it because it was doing a weird thing where the audio was only outputting to the left channel with headphones (its a glitch that had back in WP8 as well and goes away when I restart the phone), but when I turned the phone back on, it was down to about 25%? Kinda just... I dunno, sorta a weird and sudden change. Perhaps its because the OS is still figuring out the battery data? I dunno, but other than that, I wouldn't really say general battery use is all that different than before.

I AM however glad that they've made it so you can see what apps are draining the battery most which, as I've always known and suspected, goes to Skype. Such a darn battery hog...

MaXi32

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site
mybattery.jpg

My usage. Playing angry bird for half an hour + listening to podcast for about 1 hour + check email + using facebook + whatsapp and other things that I don't remember....

Just discharge your battery until it's completely off and recharge back (don't use USB, use normal adapter). I turned off location, bluetooth, and email syncing is set to manual.

Attachments

• mybatt.jpg
    mybatt.jpg
    98.5 KB · Views: 3
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss