Battery life on Windows Phone 8.1- Any improvements?

Status
Not open for further replies.

neogodless

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
Huge decline in battery life. At first, I credited it to playing around more, but it's at 63% less than 4 hours after unplugging it from a full charge, and all I've done so far this morning is about 8 total text messages (both directions, no pictures) and fire up Instagram BETA for a couple minutes. I have just about everything "not allowed" for background tasks.

wp_ss_20140417_0001.jpgwp_ss_20140417_0002.jpg

neo158

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
I does lower battery life somewhat for me but not drastically, we need to get new firmware from manufacturers to see if battery drain is increased or not.

reded23

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
I've always had issues with the odd occasion when my phone (920) would suddenly heat up and the battery would drain in an hour but never got to the bottom of it. Well now I have a 1520 as well both running 8.1. and for the first week everything was fine....but just now the 1520 got really hot and the battery drained. Looking in battery sense Skype was at the top of the list. Quit it and the phone cooled down straight away.

I can't believe these fast drain battery issues that have plagued Windows phone for years are still happening in the latest OS and phone models.....come on MS sort it out !!! :devil:

reded23

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
I've always had issues with the odd occasion when my phone (920) would suddenly heat up and the battery would drain in an hour but never got to the bottom of it. Well now I have a 1520 as well both running 8.1. and for the first week everything was fine....but just now the 1520 got really hot and the battery drained. Looking in battery sense Skype was at the top of the list. Quit it and the phone cooled down straight away.

I can't believe these fast drain battery issues that have plagued Windows phone for years are still happening in the latest OS and phone models.....come on MS sort it out !!! :devil:

So I think the Skype theory was a red herring, yes it was Skype draining the battery but since then this has happened to a number of other apps too. I suspect its the OS not handling things very well. Overall when the fast drain issue isn't happening battery life is as good as v8, its just the quick drain issue that has plagued WP forever has got massively worse.

faalil

Oct 22, 2013
Visit site
My Lumia 920 is back to normal after two weeks, I disabled Cortana as I not use her much and removed start background image.. Now I can notice serious battery improvements.. But battery is dying so fast when I browsing internet using data connection as usual in Lumia 920

reded23

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
So I think the Skype theory was a red herring, yes it was Skype draining the battery but since then this has happened to a number of other apps too. I suspect its the OS not handling things very well. Overall when the fast drain issue isn't happening battery life is as good as v8, its just the quick drain issue that has plagued WP forever has got massively worse.

I found a solution to my problem, disabling location service has got my battery back to normal. I saw somewhere else that this could be to do with the new Geofencing GPS that runs in the background.

fahad kazi

Apr 11, 2013
Visit site
I have installed 8.1 a few days ago on my new replaced phone and yes it was completely empty. Then I restored my apps and settings. I have been using 8.1 in offline mode without whatsapp and it did perform really well but I will have to see how the battery performs with whatsapp. Also when I used cortana the battery drain was quick. Now I am not using cortana and I will update when I use the phone with normal use.

Vishal Kaushal

Sep 27, 2013
Visit site
The battery life on Lumina 620 has become horrible since the WP 8.1 update...waiting for the cyan update from Nokia which may bring some improvements..

reded23

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
I found a solution to my problem, disabling location service has got my battery back to normal. I saw somewhere else that this could be to do with the new Geofencing GPS that runs in the background.

I have since tried something else after seeing another post. I turned Location on but WiFi sense off. It fixed my sudden (1hr) battery drain issue !

fahad kazi

Apr 11, 2013
Visit site
Day one of my trial and the battery drained very quickly and that might be due to my WiFi turned on with no WiFi connected. On day two I had turned off WiFi and also data connection and it was from 95% to 85% from 9.30 to 19.45. After that when I turned the data connection on the battery drain was quick. I will again test tomorrow and share the results. Btw I am loving the swipe keyboard.

reded23

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
Day one of my trial and the battery drained very quickly and that might be due to my WiFi turned on with no WiFi connected. On day two I had turned off WiFi and also data connection and it was from 95% to 85% from 9.30 to 19.45. After that when I turned the data connection on the battery drain was quick. I will again test tomorrow and share the results. Btw I am loving the swipe keyboard.

You can turn wifi on, but turn off wifi sense. This is the culprit.

agd87

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
Changing the options in your email settings to not deliver items they arrive but to either check manually or every hour or so should also help.

ajayden

Feb 26, 2012
Visit site
My Lumia 1020 battery life has been consistent until now. I had initial drains and I did the following :
1) Let the phone battery drain completely and then recharge
2) After 100% recharge, I soft reset the phone.

Until now, below is the battery performance. The battery life is consistently at 15 hours per day
ge4upu7y.png

Posted from Lumia 1020 using Tapatalk

Attachments

• wp_ss_20140507_0002.jpg
    wp_ss_20140507_0002.jpg
    103.8 KB · Views: 6

bkeran

Apr 16, 2014
Visit site
That's a crap load of battery time, what phone are you using?
I'm going to take your tip and use the adapter to charge my phone after a complete discharge...We'll see if it works

ajayden

Feb 26, 2012
Visit site
That's a crap load of battery time, what phone are you using?

I'm going to take your tip and use the adapter to charge my phone after a complete discharge...We'll see if it works

I am using Lumia 1020 as my main phone.

The other phones are Lumia 920 and 625. Will post screenshots of both phones soon.

spizzlee

Jan 28, 2013
Visit site
My Lumia 920 started off with bad battery life but it was only because I was using it a lot to set up features and what not after 8.1. Right now it's at 87% with 17 hours remaining and last charge an hour ago. Granted it's just sitting at my desk but still.

That being said, my L925....Horrible. I set it up and stopped using it, but decided to take use it again during a date I went on and it drained QUICK. Just being idle. After Nokia releases the Blue update I think things should be normal.

ajayden

Feb 26, 2012
Visit site
Earlier I posted screenshot of my phone. Below is screenshot of my wife's Lumia 920
upepa7a3.png

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb