Battery life on Windows Phone 8.1- Any improvements?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Paolo Cardelli

Jan 22, 2014
Visit site
Immediately after the Upgrade from 8.0, I Hard Reset the phone WITHOUT restoring my old backup, and started as new.
Then, after two full discharge and recharge, my Battery lasts even LONGER than 8.0 (on Nokia Lumia 920 here).

That's what I also tweaked:

1) Turned OFF: Bluetooth, NFC, Wi-Fi Sense, Data Sense, Touch High Sensitivity, Find my Phone (save position), Announce ID, Microsoft Feedback Reporting (on IE, Keyboard, Wi-Fi and Bing) AND Battery Saver (both the main switch AND Background Setting);
2) Background Tasks: Disabled most of them, and kept only the essential ones (Whatsapp, Facebook, Store, Skype etc);
3) Mail Sync: every 1 Hour;
4) Settings Sync: all Disabled;
5) Lockscreen image: Static, from Photo;
6) IE: set Webpage compression to Standard, Find location Disabled;
7) Bing: find location Disabled;
8) Integration Hub: only 1 Microsoft Account (Outlook mail check included inside this) + Twitter Account + LinkedIn Account.

My phone last all day under heavy usage, and drops 1% every 2-3 Hours.
Very satisfied, and I already know that after Cyan it will be even better :smile:

Pawlee

May 2, 2013
Visit site
My battery would probably last longer with all those settings because a lot of them are turned off whereas they're turned on for 8.0 and having no problems, we shouldn't have to restrict everything that we used fine on 8.0

Couldn't deal with 8.1 on 1020, I was out at the pub on Friday and just sitting in my pocket it dropped from 85% to 55% over the course of 3 hours, and I wasn't doing anything with it.

I've gone back to 8.0 for now and going to wait for Cyan I think.

Although 8.1 was definitely fun to play with, and I'm excited for it, for someone like me who only uses a 1020 8.1 isn't ready.

Paolo Cardelli

Jan 22, 2014
Visit site
My battery would probably last longer with all those settings because a lot of them are turned off whereas they're turned on for 8.0 and having no problems, we shouldn't have to restrict everything that we used fine on 8.0

Couldn't deal with 8.1 on 1020, I was out at the pub on Friday and just sitting in my pocket it dropped from 85% to 55% over the course of 3 hours, and I wasn't doing anything with it.

I've gone back to 8.0 for now and going to wait for Cyan I think.

Although 8.1 was definitely fun to play with, and I'm excited for it, for someone like me who only uses a 1020 8.1 isn't ready.
Those are the same settings I was using with 8.0

Pawlee

May 2, 2013
Visit site
I see… well maybe 8.1 just isn't ready for my connectivity requirements. Or I may just have to dial it back a bit on 8.1 on a 1020… I'm hoping that the cyan optimisations just do the job properly, fingers crossed.

juskteez

Jan 13, 2014
Visit site
Few days after get 8.1 my 920's battery was great, even better than before and no LAG but now it's awful and very LAG! I use WIFI then check facebook in about 30m then play game (Cloud Raiders & Royal Revolt 2) in about 2h, battery goes from 100% to ~35%. the phone also very hot while I just use WIFI and check Facebook. No battery app, weather app & social app bg task all disabled. And the charge time seems faster! Guys, is that my battery problem? Should I reset my phone? I owned it for 5 months :(

MikeSo

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
I went back to 8.0 on my Lumia Icon (using Nokia Software Recovery tool) in order to get the Verizon firmware fix for WiFi issues, and I gotta say the battery life isn't any better in 8.0, at least not so far (installed 8.0 yesterday). I wonder how much of the battery issue is perception and increased use/checking out new functions.

Will6371

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site
I went back to 8.0 on my Lumia Icon (using Nokia Software Recovery tool) in order to get the Verizon firmware fix for WiFi issues, and I gotta say the battery life isn't any better in 8.0, at least not so far (installed 8.0 yesterday). I wonder how much of the battery issue is perception and increased use/checking out new functions.

I have tested a few different things on my 1520 and in IE I was getting a drop of 13% per hour on 8.0 and in 8.1 it is down to 8% per hour on 8.1, in standby I was getting 0.7 but now it is 0.2

I also tried a few test on my 925 and 1020 and the 925 is around 25% better and the 1020 is around 20% better. I haven't used my 520 that much but the standby time is a lot better and my other 925 I reset it to 8.0 to test going to 8.1 without doing a hard reset but I need a few more days to test that but at the minute it is having all sorts of problems. My next test with it is going to be a hard reset and restore it then from a backup made when it was in 8.0

ajayden

Feb 26, 2012
Visit site
Below is battery performance of my Lumia 1020 today

qehy5ume.png

Posted from Lumia 1020 using Tapatalk

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
As Himanshu mentioned, please use this thread:

http://forums.windowscentral.com/windows-phone-8-1-preview-developers/275740-16.htm

@ajayden
Although the idea sounds good, I'm not merging these two threads, because that would shuffle posts from both threads into each other (based on the time they were posted). This tends to make for very confusing reading. Merging only works well with threads that contain very few posts (ideally just one), but this one went on for too long for that to be viable.

Thread closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bevitalglucopre