draconianchaos

Feb 6, 2014
Visit site
I don't mean to appear as an Android ****** but why couldn't Microsoft have handled accounts/services like Google. On Windows phone you have to sign into everything individually whereas on Android (and I factory reset an old one I had lying around before writing this just to be sure) you sign in to your Google account once at setup and then you are logged into every Google app on the device. Don't get me wrong I'm very much enjoying WP8 looking forward to 8.1 (hello notification shade) but this is too much. Sign in to skype, sign in to bing weather, sign in to bing news. Enough is enough already.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
The only apps I've had to sign in to authorize were 3rd party apps, such as Weave or Nextgen, if I wanted to save articles to OneNote.

neo158

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
I know what the OP means, if you have an app that can us a Facebook login then why can't it pick up that information via email+accounts instead of having to enter it again?

Apr 11, 2011
Visit site
I know what the OP means, if you have an app that can us a Facebook login then why can't it pick up that information via email+accounts instead of having to enter it again?

That's actually not what the OP was saying. They were saying that when they add their Google Account to their Android device all of their Google specific apps sign in, but that this doesn't happen with MS specific apps when they sign in on a Windows Phone with a Microsoft account.

This wasn't about 3rd party apps from what I can see at all.

Also the problem with doing this with 3rd party apps is that it would involve passing off the login details. So then, how do you decide what process to use for that? How do you decide which vendors are trustworthy or not with that data?

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Also the problem with doing this with 3rd party apps is that it would involve passing off the login details. So then, how do you decide what process to use for that? How do you decide which vendors are trustworthy or not with that data?
This is the reason why I prefer the current method wrt 3rd party apps. I don't want security issues due to any and all 3rd party apps getting login details.

draconianchaos

Feb 6, 2014
Visit site
Third party apps make total sense. It's why I don't have any third party Google services on my windows phone not worth the risk. First party apps should really be single sign on from setup in my opinion. More people will use and recommend said service if there are less barriers to its use.

Apr 11, 2011
Visit site
Third party apps make total sense. It's why I don't have any third party Google services on my windows phone not worth the risk. First party apps should really be single sign on from setup in my opinion. More people will use and recommend said service if there are less barriers to its use.

That's where I get confused. First party apps sign in by default for me. What apps are making you sign in separately?

draconianchaos

Feb 6, 2014
Visit site
If I remember correctly on first use Skype, bing news, and I think bing weather. (off topic I really like that app a lot simple but somehow elegant design wish there was an android version). I know MSFT owns Skype but I see why it might have been kept separate but bing services just boggles my mind.

Apr 11, 2011
Visit site
If I remember correctly on first use Skype, bing news, and I think bing weather. (off topic I really like that app a lot simple but somehow elegant design wish there was an android version). I know MSFT owns Skype but I see why it might have been kept separate but bing services just boggles my mind.
Yeah for now they've kept Skype separate. I get that one as well.

The Bing apps I just noticed you are correct on. They've always just worked for me and I didn't realize there are some additional sync features that are enabled by signing in with a Microsoft Account.

I think the logic there is because those apps aren't part of the core OS they wanted to make sign-in optional.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kuyhaa