No HERE Drive on WP8.1 developer preview?

PxuLL

Aug 23, 2013
Visit site
Its available in the official release of 8.1 just not the final build of it hence the developer preview. They are also most likely going to use that time to improve their apps for 8.1.

rockstarzzz

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
You are failing to read between the lines and also the lines. You won't get those upgraded HERE Drive features with the WP8.1 DP, which is understandable. With official release however, you will get 8.1 compatible HERE Drive. This is update of HERE Drive to HERE Drive+

HERE Drive+ is now free with all WP8.1 devices. So you won't get "+" on preview, but you will still have what you have.

Foma Kiniaev

Apr 2, 2014
Visit site
You are failing to read between the lines and also the lines. You won't get those upgraded HERE Drive features with the WP8.1 DP, which is understandable. With official release however, you will get 8.1 compatible HERE Drive. This is update of HERE Drive to HERE Drive+

HERE Drive+ is now free with all WP8.1 devices. So you won't get "+" on preview, but you will still have what you have.

This is what they say. Question is straightforward, answer also

I am planning to upgrade to Windows Phone 8.1 developer preview. Would my pre-installed Here Drive + app work after the preview update? My phone is the only GPS device I have...

Pino at HERE > FraggerFox 21 hours ago

Hi, I mentioned below http://360.here.com/2014/04/02... that you won't be able to use HERE Drive in the Windows Phone 8.1 developer preview. If your phone is the only GPS device you have, you might reconsider installing Windows Phone 8.1 developer preview and wait for the official release.

SAM 77

Jan 17, 2014
Visit site
Will be interesting to see what happens after the update.

I dont use Drive+ at the moment so its not a drama for me now.
A couple of months ago I was using it as a replacement for a TomTom and I was pleasantly surprised at how well it performed.
This info would certainly make me think twice if I was affected.

Guess you can always wait a day or two after release and ask the question.

There will be plenty here that wont hesistate to install the 8.1 and report.

Zaki Smile

Apr 12, 2013
Visit site
Will answer this later on. As you can see in the thread I asked Pino some new questions about these limitations. It's not a big deal if the "old app" will run on developer preview, then you can still use Drive. I also asked when they consider the official Wp 8.1 is released, is it when the Lumia 630 is launched or is it when your specific model get's the official release, I makes a differance.

The best would be if the old app will work until the new app is release, and the new is released when the Lumia 630 is released, and this app will be avaliable for us with the developer preview.

Kacey Green

Apr 13, 2012
Visit site
Probably when 630 comes out because if someone uninstalls it they need to be able to redownload not hard reset, and why choose any other test than just OS version if it's coming to every phone with 8.1?

They can't even tie it to cyan unless they do that to keep it Nokia only until they consider 8.1 to be released

Last edited:

etad putta

Oct 1, 2013
Visit site

Thanks for the info, not having HERE Drive+ would be a major problem for me. I think maybe i will stand on the sideline for a day or 2 after the release just to see how this all shakes out. TIA to all the front line installers.

IlkkaV

Nov 8, 2013
Visit site
I'll check what happens to HERE Drive+ once the developer preview is out. For after all, in addition to the Lumia 925 I also have a 620, so if it turns out that there are issues with the dev preview, I'll just skip updating the 620 and use that one as a navigator,

IlkkaV

Nov 8, 2013
Visit site
At least Here Drive+ starts OK and functions seem to work (gets GPS fix etc). I can't test it in a car just yet as I'm temporarily unable to drive with my other arm in a sling and my car having manual transmission.

SpaceyO

Feb 23, 2014
Visit site
When I updated, both HERE Maps and Drive+ were greyed out on the start screen with an exclamation point over them. When I tapped the HERE Maps app, it said "This app is no longer available for your phone."

After a hard reset, I added them to the list of apps that were being downloaded and they work just fine...

Maytag87

Apr 15, 2014
Visit site
I can confirm that Here Drive+ works fine navigating to places on the WP8.1 Developer Preview. There is one behavior change that I am not a fan of:

Original behavior:
Click search button, type in a location, and view results. See a map with the location, and below that, on the left is a button to call, and on the right is a button to "Drive". Touch Drive, and you are presented with a list of GPS apps to select from, such as VZ Navigator, Waze, Here Drive+ etc. Pick Here Drive+ and you are on your way.

New Behavior:
Click search button, type in a location, and view results. See a map with the location, and below that, on the left is a button to call, and on the right is a button that says "Directions". Touch Directions, and you are presented with what looks like a Bing maps view. Touch "Start Voice Nav" on the lower left, and now you will see the list of GPS apps to select from. From here you can pick Here Drive+.

The new behavior caught me by surprise, and on my first try of trying to navigate, I gave up on the search button. I manually started the Here Drive+ app, and searched for my destination from there. I had to take a few minutes to try to figure out how to get to the GPS apps from the Bing Maps view. I am not a fan of the extra step of having to go through the Bing Maps to get to the Here Drive+ app (or other GPS apps) when using Search. Anyone know of a way to change this in an option or setting?

Thanks!

Joe Sivulka

Apr 9, 2014
Visit site
After the 8.1 DP install, Here+ Drive works on my 920 via Bluetooth in my car but there is a bit of a quirk; after each direction announcement, "Turn left in 300 yards" etc, I get the "Call has ended" blurb. Previously, those words have only been heard after a phone call.

Has anyone else gotten this anomaly?

Joe

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
killshot4077