05-12-2014 10:00 PM
140 ... 3456
tools
    Maybe the update is not out for my region yet lets just wait...
    04-17-2014 11:58 AM
    Maybe the update is not out for my region yet lets just wait...
    The Telstra page that was linked a couple of pages ago says otherwise.

Anyway, to get this situation a little clearer, this is what happened, right?

You live in the USA, and you went to MetroPCS, which belongs to T-Mobile, and bought your HTC 8X. But it turned out to be an Australian region phone that was made for the Australian carrier Telstra. And now when you ask them, they say it's an Australian phone so it can't be upgraded outside. (Which is a lie to begin with.)

Now I don't know much about these things, but this kind of sounds like some kind of fraud is going on here.

EDIT: Oh, and if the phone catalog on their site is anything to go by, MetroPCS doesn't even sell any HTC phones. I don't get what's going on here.
    04-17-2014 12:24 PM
    I bought the phone from Metro pcs in August 2013 in USA, it was unlocked and it was branded to Telstra, an Australian carrier. Metro pcs was probably selling this phone for their own good, unofficially. They probably got that phone from somewhere and decided to sell it. I put a T-Mobile sim card in it and started using it. Then I went to that store, to get one for my friend who really liked my phone, but they said there were no more, which makes wonder, why do they only had one of this type of phone? Then I contacted Telstra on Facebook, then he said updates depends on your region which is not true. Next thing you know I am not receiving any updates from Telstra. I got an update called 'PORTICO' but I don't know where that update came from. Telstra is stilt deploying updates to their phones still, I might be on their list.
    04-17-2014 01:30 PM
    I bought the phone from Metro pcs in August 2013 in USA, it was unlocked and it was branded to Telstra, an Australian carrier. Metro pcs was probably selling this phone for their own good, unofficially. They probably got that phone from somewhere and decided to sell it. I put a T-Mobile sim card in it and started using it. Then I went to that store, to get one for my friend who really liked my phone, but they said there were no more, which makes wonder, why do they only had one of this type of phone? Then I contacted Telstra on Facebook, then he said updates depends on your region which is not true. Next thing you know I am not receiving any updates from Telstra. I got an update called 'PORTICO' but I don't know where that update came from. Telstra is stilt deploying updates to their phones still, I might be on their list.
    So it sounds like to me that if someone is to be blamed here, it is MetroPCS for selling you a phone that doesn't even belong to the right region. What happened when you ask them why they sold you a Telstra branded phone? Also, you should try going to customer support on the phone, and seeing if they can help.

Lastly, like I mentioned a few posts before...try to change all of your region settings to Australia and then reboot the phone and then check for updates...I know it sounds kind of dumb, but I would try that if I were you just to make sure the update is not being blocked because of your region settings.

Other option to pursue: Go to Microsoft store and buy $60 Lumia 521. EDIT: Or Lumia 635 is coming to T-mobile as well. I bet that will be under $100 as well when it releases in a couple months.

Also, if none of those options pan out, you should take solace in the fact that out of GDR1, GDR2, GDR3, and 8.1, the GDR1/PORTICO update was probably the most stable of them all. Soo at least that's something :)
    04-17-2014 01:44 PM
    When I asked them why did you sold me an Australian phone he asked me "did you really bought the phone from here" twice. He wasn't there when I bought the phone. He told me you still can update your phone even though you are here not Australia and told me to go to T-Mobile.
    04-17-2014 02:36 PM
    My parents or any adult I know doesn't understands technologies.
    They may not understand technology, but I'm sure they understand fraud. I would suggest you ask them to read this thread so they get an idea of what your problem ist. You can do the talking - The salesperson will take your issue more seriously and treat you with more respect if someone of age is with you. And if they don't your parents can demand to see the manager. They'll be more scared of ripping you off with your parents there, no matter if they understand technology or not.
    Do you have proof you bought the phone there (a receipt or something)?
    04-17-2014 03:17 PM
    I have the box of the phone. I will try to go with my parents
    04-17-2014 03:40 PM
    I have the box of the phone. I will try to go with my parents
    Okay, I guess that might be better than nothing. For the future remember to ALWAYS ask for a receipt and / or a bill (to you or your parents' address) when you buy an expensive gadget with a warranty. And keep all your receipts & bills in a folder so you know exactly where to find them. If you can't show them a receipt they could just lie about having sold it to you and there's nothing you can do about it.
    If they won't give you a receipt don't buy it, no matter how cheap, you can be sure there's something wrong with it.
    04-17-2014 04:22 PM
    An RUU for XDA might help.. I'll see if I can find one. I need your phone's CID though.
    04-17-2014 04:30 PM
    Okay, I guess that might be better than nothing. For the future remember to ALWAYS ask for a receipt and / or a bill (to you or your parents' address) when you buy an expensive gadget with a warranty. And keep all your receipts & bills in a folder so you know exactly where to find them. If you can't show them a receipt they could just lie about having sold it to you and there's nothing you can do about it.
    If they won't give you a receipt don't buy it, no matter how cheap, you can be sure there's something wrong with it.
    thank you, I will keep that advice in my head.
    04-17-2014 06:14 PM
    04-17-2014 06:18 PM
    Turn your phone off, then press and hold vol down, camera and power buttons simultaneously until your phone vibrates and the screen goes white.
    04-18-2014 05:20 AM
    An RUU for XDA might help.. I'll see if I can find one. I need your phone's CID though.
    Do you know if there's one out there for CID...044?
    (htc wp 8s) Couldn't gind one on XDAdevelopers.
    04-18-2014 05:51 AM
    Turn your phone off, then press and hold vol down, camera and power buttons simultaneously until your phone vibrates and the screen goes white.
    Yea I did that I let go of the buttons when it vibrated and turned white then it vibrated and turned on normally without showing any info.
    04-18-2014 10:14 AM

That happens sometimes. If you realize it's about to turn on normally press and hold the buttons again. Then release after it vibrates. You have to release at the right moment or it'll boot normally.
    04-18-2014 10:47 AM
    Cid-telslat001
    04-18-2014 12:26 PM
    Cid-telslat001
    Okay, I'll ask on XDA
    04-18-2014 06:06 PM
    i don't get it, who is supposed to push out the updates T-Mobile or Telstra ? or "Australian HTC" ?
    04-18-2014 08:14 PM
    i don't get it, who is supposed to push out the updates T-Mobile or Telstra ? or "Australian HTC" ?
    Telstra. T-Mobile doesn't have anything to do with it since it's not a T-Mobile phone. (SIM doesn't affect this.)
    HTC (or any other WP OEM for that matter) only pushes it to carriers and to those phones that are not made for a particular carrier.
    04-18-2014 11:44 PM
    Oh ok thanks. Now I kinda get it. So there is no need for me to contact Australian HTC. I will try emailing Telstra
    04-19-2014 09:28 AM
    Isn't the bigger issue that there is no way you should have been sold an Australian 8x from a MetroPCS in Brooklyn (think that's where you said you are from).
    04-19-2014 12:25 PM
    Isn't the bigger issue that there is no way you should have been sold an Australian 8x from a MetroPCS in Brooklyn (think that's where you said you are from).
    The fact that they sold him an 8X is fishy enough, considering that their phone catalog has no HTC phones at all.
    04-20-2014 03:56 AM
    Oh ok thanks. Now I kinda get it. So there is no need for me to contact Australian HTC. I will try emailing Telstra
    If someone who is with Telstra contacts them on your behalf it would be helpful rather than you contacting them since they will deny help for someone who's not using their phone on another carrier. I would say contact metro pcs directly since they sold you a phone which they should not have in the first place. In the mean time get hold of someone (WPCentral is a great place to ask for help) who can contact Telstra on your behalf
    04-20-2014 04:04 AM
    My thoughts exactly, the op should definitely file a complaint with BBB
    04-20-2014 04:05 AM
    So I should create a new thread asking who is using 8x on Telstra ?
    04-20-2014 09:55 AM
140 ... 3456