App compatibility for WP 8.1

Athull

Aug 25, 2013
Visit site
Since Dev preview is probably coming out tomorrow I was wondering are all WP 8 apps directly compatible with 8.1 or do the developers need to push out an update before they become compatible?
I have faced this issue on my Nexus 7 last time when I updated to Kitkat and some of my favorite apps become incompatible and didn't work until they pushed out an update....

anon(7900571)

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
They will work without any issues , remember when windows phone 8 was launched , all windows phone 7.X apps works without Any problem , so same goes for this update. But the new apps coded for wp 8.1 will not work on windows phone 8 or windows phone 7.X

Last edited:

SwimSwim

Feb 1, 2013
Visit site
WP8.1 is designed to be backwards compatible, without any effort from developers. Actually, in many ways, thanks to improvements such as a better OS-level handling of notifications and memory managements, all your apps are going to run faster, better and more reliably just by updating to 8.1, regardless if the developer has done anything or not.

Does this mean everything will work without a hitch? Of course not. After all, WP8 was backwards compatible with WP7.X apps, but some did have compatibility issues, and required updates to work properly. Nonetheless, you'll find that most of your apps will work just fine, and most will work even better than they do now.

Of course, for WP8.1 specific features (Such as proper integration into and intelligent management of notifications in the Action Center, or proper integration into Cortana voice-controls, enabling hardware-video encoding, easy deployment to WP8.1 and Windows 8.1, etc.), updates will, of course, be required.

SwimSwim

Feb 1, 2013
Visit site
They will work without any issues , remember when windows phone 8 was launched , all windows phone 7.X apps works without Any problem , so same goes for this update. But the news apps coded for wp 8.1 will not work on windows phone 8 or windows phone 7.X

This is kind of true. Can developers chose to make apps WP8.1 only? Of course. Do they have to? Not at all.

Just like how most apps now rollout only with support for WP8, with WP7.X getting its own app or nothing at all. Developers can code their apps that the exact same app will work on both WP8 and WP7.X, with WP7.X of course not getting to take advantage of all available features. But since the majority of users are on WP8 at this point, WP7.X is largely ignored.

Now, with WP8.1: developers can chose to make their app(s) take advantage of WP8.1 features, and only be compatible on devices running 8.1. But seeing as it will take quite some time for a majority of devices to update, most developers will chose to make their app(s) work on WP8, with additional features enabled if the app detects it's running on WP8.1.

anon(7900571)

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
This is kind of true. Can developers chose to make apps WP8.1 only? Of course. Do they have to? Not at all.

Just like how most apps now rollout only with support for WP8, with WP7.X getting its own app or nothing at all. Developers can code their apps that the exact same app will work on both WP8 and WP7.X, with WP7.X of course not getting to take advantage of all available features. But since the majority of users are on WP8 at this point, WP7.X is largely ignored.

Now, with WP8.1: developers can chose to make their app(s) take advantage of WP8.1 features, and only be compatible on devices running 8.1. But seeing as it will take quite some time for a majority of devices to update, most developers will chose to make their app(s) work on WP8, with additional features enabled if the app detects it's running on WP8.1.

I want deep cortana integration in apps , with custom alert sounds ( I am not sure but I think one will be able to do the same in action centre settings by ) with better me memory management. :smile:

K_Arora5

Mar 6, 2014
Visit site
They will work without any issues , remember when windows phone 8 was launched , all windows phone 7.X apps works without Any problem , so same goes for this update. But the new apps coded for wp 8.1 will not work on windows phone 8 or windows phone 7.X

Are you sure bcoz I'm too concerned about app compatibility with dev preview

SwimSwim

Feb 1, 2013
Visit site
I want deep cortana integration in apps , with custom alert sounds ( I am not sure but I think one will be able to do the same in action centre settings by ) with better me memory management. :smile:

Don't we all? Haha.

Thankfully, developers can use these features, and still maintain compatibility with WP8. Best of both worlds, really.

andyqkw

Sep 12, 2012
Visit site

Not entirely true, Tango which is available on Windows Phone 7 is not available on Windows Phone 8.

SwimSwim

Feb 1, 2013
Visit site

A video call app. I remember it was included by default on my Lumia 900 when I bought it.

It was one of the only real alternatives to Skype before they FINALLY made a Skype app on WP7.X. Tango has shown very little support for WP, but I'm also not entirely sure anyone actually cares...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99