Developer Preview 8.1 Bugs and Defects Thread

Awhispersecho

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
Wow, I was on the last step to trying this update. Got to the "install" or "postpone" screen and chose postpone. Glad I did, looks like a cluster at the moment. I hope no one here ends up with a permanent issue with their phone because of installing the update. Sucks though, I wasn't in a hurry for GDR3 but really wanted to install this.

guillams

Oct 7, 2012
Visit site
Listening to something using new PODCAST app, switched to listening to music instead.

Boss started a conversation, pulled out headphones to stop music quickly

Re-plugged headphones, hit one of the volume buttons to bring up music controls, and hit "play"

Audio came through left channel only

Had to power off and on to get both channels back.
it happened to me too, but was a disconnection on the headphone jack! Fix it! If happen again try to check that!

taymur

Aug 22, 2012
Visit site
This used to be my problem too. it took a bit of getting used to anyway. Just change the angle from which you are looking at your screen and you'll see the cursor

This solution is insane! Sense it worked fine in WP8.

Of course iPhone does this best with their small magnifier!

srinivas pilli

Mar 5, 2014
Visit site
hey I'm using Lumia 820,I'm using SanDisk class 10 SD card in my phone but storage sence is very very very laggy( slowly loading) even I am using class 10 SD card it's laggy. I think it's a super bug I think what you say guys fix me please 😠

Mad Strings

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
Not sure if anyone has mentioned this, but when my Glance is on, is slowly moves itself upwards and loops (starts at the bottom of the screen like usual, but around every minute or so, you see the clock and notifications higher on the screen, then when it hits the top, it loops over again.)

Also, when I compose an email or a text, sometimes I hit one of the capacitive buttons and my phone freezes before quickly restarting the phone. Any suggestions or solutions?

I've tried a hard and soft reset, updating all my apps, turning airplane mode on for a few minutes, turning glance off for a few minutes and closing out of everything before making emails/texts.

Eljonn

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
1. Screen shots are blocked from sharing
2. There is no twitter share option
3. Sharing to facebook is pure nightmare, it takes ages and doesn't go in the background. I need to keep staring in the screen and progress and cannot do anything in the mean time or it will be cancelled. So much worst that previous way of sharing. Now I stopped sharing pictures altogether.

caldigital

Apr 18, 2013
Visit site
I've noticed the SSID set in Internet Sharing is always broadcasting regardless of Internet Sharing On/Off setting.

Never mind. Found out this is just a easy sharing option. Noticed the SSID on my Windows 8.1 Surface Pro. Logged into the same account as my phone. Clicking on the SSID turns on Internet Sharing on the device and connects without password. It is not visible to other devices though.

Last edited:

Gremsems

Apr 16, 2014
Visit site
I have a problem on my european Lumia 1520.
When the phone switches off after an empty battery, when it switches back on during charging the time says 0300AM & the dates gone back to march 2013... This is while automatic date&time is selected!

sunbee

Aug 6, 2013
Visit site
I don't know if anyone else experienced this problem but my L720 with Vodafone SIM has some problem; not sure if anything to do with preview update or SIM. I get error message bad SIM detected and the connection gets lost. It won't come back and I have to manually turn off and turn on the mobile.

chenhogi

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
Re: [Official] Windows Phone 8.1 Bugs and Defects Thread

I've noticed that since updating to 8.1 I have not received notifications of available app updates on my store live tile (under settings I've chosen not to allow auto update of apps). I know that I can check manually, but I still expected this issue to be addressed by Microsoft.

ezraofcebu

Jan 19, 2014
Visit site
As insane as it might be, you are running windows phone 8.1 and it was you who installed that on your phone. This thread is titled Developer Preview 8.1 Bugs and Defects Thread. The matter is neither a bug nor a defect in the OS.

mariusmuntean

Banned
Mar 12, 2013
Visit site
Wifi loosing connection on 1520 and poor coverage comparing to other phone on the same network.
Partial solution: Hard reset
Now coverage seems much better and wifi dropping is almost gone, happens once a day at most.

The Skizzle

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
I realize that metadata issues have plagued Xbox Music since it's inception, but I've noticed a new issue that I'm not sure was present on 8 (I tried to stick to the Hub due to the poor performance of the Beta app on 8). When downloading music from cloud collection, metadata is changed, causing the album to be split up. It's not a complete mislabel of metadata, but still causes albums to be split up. Also, I downloaded a song directly from the store, and it removed the artist and album name. I did report it on the Xbox Music update suggestion forum, but figured I'd also post it here, as well.

If you have a Windows 8 PC and have the music downloaded there, you can use the Windows 8 app to share to your phone. Beware though. They've had similar problems in the past with music downloaded to the subscription cache folder on PC, even though the music in the app appeared normal (part of the reason I decided to download instead of transferring in the first place,) so you may just want to double check the actual files and re-download any albums that need corrected. It's an arduous process, yes (I personally plan on dedicating a couple hours tomorrow to fix things on my end,) but where it appears to be corrected on Windows 8 end of things, it absolutely does not work right on Windows Phone 8.1. For now, it's the only way to have cloud music available offline without your collection looking fractured.

From my own experience, it's mainly an issue with albums that have extra info like (Parental Advisory) or (Deluxe) in the album name. Just so you have an idea of what to look for.

realworld666

May 6, 2013
Visit site
I had a couple of days off when I upgraded to 8.1 so I was using my home's Wi-Fi for the whole first day. I didn't realize until I was coming home from work the next day that Internet Explorer doesn't work with my data connection. I can press the search button, type something up and have Bing return results, but anything Explorer tries to open results in an "Error: Cannot find server or DNS error." MetroTube lets me watch videos on data and the dedicated apps for Facebook, Twitter, Vine and Instagram also run properly, but nothing in Internet Explorer opens. This wasn't an issue in 8.0. It's annoying when it happens, but 8.1 is great otherwise. (Bell, Lumia 920)

Yes, this happens to me too. Anyone found a fix for it?

When using Cortana to get navigation, HERE will just resume from the previous destination instead of the new one. When you try it a second time, it will work properly.

Launching from maps our Bing has the same problem

Angry_Mushroom

Jan 18, 2013
Visit site
Re: 8.1 Update - thoughts/experience

Anyone else's 810 continuously install updates after trying to get 8.1? Mine has done it twice since my last post and I still don't see it up to 8.1. :unhappy:

Edit: Third time's the charm. I have finally managed to get 8.1 on my 810. Now I'm just wondering how to get apps on the SD card...?

Settings > Storage Sense > phone > apps+games > click on app/game you want to move to the SD card. Should be easy enough from there.

rmorgan999

Dec 7, 2011
Visit site
Lumia 1520, after using headphones and then unplugging them, all system sounds are silent even though volume is up high. Most likely a hardware / firmware issue, hopefully a Nokia update will sort this. Phone restart restores sounds back to normal.

alukard

Dec 21, 2010
Visit site
Remember people, this is a preview release software intended to get the community involved in testing and finding defects. Also for actual developers to get stuck into it.
Your are meant to feedback all issues to Microsoft so their folks can work on them for the final release.

THIS THREAD IS FOR FEEDBACK. Not just to air grievances. Its been put here to do what beta software is meant to do.

So keep it constructive and detailed, every information helps in the long run.

WindowsPhoneFan

Apr 15, 2014
Visit site
Re: [Official] Windows Phone 8.1 Bugs and Defects Thread

Messenger not working over wi-fi. I use a Lumia 920 with no SIM. Messenger always worked great up until this update. Now I cannot send a message & it says "Sim card is missing or damaged". But, like I said, Ive never had a SIM and it always worked great. I greatly prefer messenger over Skype cus I think the UI design is much more attractive.

Can anyone help me? Would be greatly appreciated! :D

PS: I should probably mention that the ONLY contacts in messenger seem to be Facebook contacts, not all the contacts that used to be available. also, this is on a Lumia 920

Last edited:

teckris

Aug 7, 2013
Visit site
Cant the Additional Column can be brought by adding more Tile sizes and so keeping support for better readability on small screens?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon