Developer Preview 8.1 Bugs and Defects Thread

anon(5408460)

Nov 24, 2012
Visit site
HTC8X Nokia 1520 UK O2
Couple problems/changes with reading out sms messages (not using cortana)
Confirmation tone is the same for all commands, previously the one for ignore was different to the rest, so it was easy to recognise that the ignore command had been heard.
On my 1520 I find that it often doesn't either hear, recognise or carry out commands unless I have it close to my mouth. Prior to the upgrade it would hear them across a room without having to shout. My HTC 8X can still hear them across the room so perhaps the fault on the 1520 is linked to the problem I have heard that some of the microphones on the 1520 do not work after 8.1 is installed.
I was surprised that there is still no Delete command available for the speech commands
Otherwise I am delighted, just want the official cortana for the UK !!

Lance_WPCentral

Nov 22, 2013
Visit site
My major issue with WP 8.1 is all the apps perform very slow especially messenger apps compared to WP 8 and games on WP 8.1 stutter continuously. I am using Lumia 1520, my friends using Lumia 920 are also having same. Is anybody else facing this apps & games performance issue?
I have apps and games installed on my SD card. They work perfectly fine and load quickly. SD card speed is lower to that of the phone internal memory, but still it gives good performance. I'm using a class 10 SD card. By any chance are you using a class 4 SD card and have your apps and games installed on that?

Sleepwalker71

Aug 8, 2013
Visit site
Weird, but when I'm closing Facebook by return key it is still open when I'm pressing return key longer for processes killing. It is accompanied by calendar app in many cases, even it wasn't open at all.

Lance_WPCentral

Nov 22, 2013
Visit site
I wasn't getting update count on the store tile. Is it because in settings I had turned of install apps automatically OFF ? Also how often does the sync take place to check for new updates ?

Lance_WPCentral

Nov 22, 2013
Visit site
Weird, but when I'm closing Facebook by return key it is still open when I'm pressing return key longer for processes killing. It is accompanied by calendar app in many cases, even it wasn't open at all.
Yes in WP8.1 for many apps, just pressing the return key only suspends the app but doesn't close it. You have to close it from the multitasking window (pressing return key longer)

uberlaff

Feb 9, 2010
Visit site
Just wanted to say that battery life has improved dramatically after the first week with WP 8.1. Still not quite as good as 8 but much much better.

ntice_521

Nov 11, 2013
Visit site
I wasn't getting update count on the store tile. Is it because in settings I had turned of install apps automatically OFF ? Also how often does the sync take place to check for new updates ?

You can force a check for updates at any time (go into store settings). I'm not sure, but I think that with auto-update turned off, it will also not check for updates automatically (should be two options...)

elknimrod

Feb 8, 2014
Visit site
I'm using a Verizon branded unlocked Lumia Icon on TMobile. I have a big problem sending SMS, I can send one and after that it "can't send, SMS error 1". Solution is to turn off Data service, then SMS works again.

Problem with this solution is that Cortana needs a data connection to send even an SMS although I have a good cell signal, which doesn't make sense. This takes away her usefulness while driving if you need to send an SMS.

Anyone experience this and have a solution?

thanks,

Ed

kiran nk

Apr 30, 2014
Visit site
Re: [Official] Windows Phone 8.1 Bugs and Defects Thread

my lumia 925 was working perfectly but after 8.1 updated it has started to freez ....happened two times in a day now....any solution?

volam

Jul 24, 2013
Visit site
Whenever I turn off my phone, it does not start. First AT&T Logo flashes for a few seconds and then NOKIA logo for some prolonged time and then blank black screen. Try again same happens. All I can do is a hard reset and start over adding my accounts and downloading apps again and again and again. Does some one have any solution for this?

Shu Akaba

Apr 30, 2014
Visit site
When i have a notification for missed calls or new messages...on my lockscreen, it doesnt turn off automatically but stays the same and i have to press the power button to turn it off

defante

Oct 12, 2013
Visit site
I have quiet hours set automatically for when I sleep. An Amber alert came through around midnight. I can understand that emergency alerts will breakthrough, but after that it didn't turn quiet hours back on. I had to manually turn it back on after the alert.

TACTICALALBA

Jan 25, 2014
Visit site
Bug: Whenever I ask Cortana for my weather, the temperature is displayed in Fahrenheit. I ask her to change to Celsius but next time I ask it’s all displayed in Fahrenheit again.
Solution: You’ve changed the settings on your phone to say you’re in the US explicitly. In the US they use Fahrenheit by default. Wait until Cortana is available natively in your region and this will not be a problem.
I just ask Cortana "whats the weather like in Celsius" and she reply to me with the temperature in Celsius.Am i the only one who noticed that?

Shasta Yong

Apr 30, 2014
Visit site
Regarding the Bug: Lock and unlock sound doesn't work. I just experienced this issue after my L920 windows phone crashed for no apparent reason. Anyway, I did a soft reset twice(once:to turn my phone back on and twice: to try and fix this bug). Well, it just didn't work. Next, I tried these steps : settings > system > ringtones + sounds > unchecked 'key press' > unchecked 'Lock and unlock' > Pressed the power button to lock my phone > Then Unlock my phone again > Checked 'key press' > Checked 'Lock and unlock'.

Finally when I locked my phone, the lock sound played and it played the unlocked sound too when I unlocked my phone. Hope these steps help...

Phillip Deackes

Jan 6, 2013
Visit site
I'm in the UK. Istarted off by flashing my Lumia 920 with the latest firmware available from Nokia. I then signed in but didn't do a restore. I installed just one app, the Developer Preview App. I installed the 8.1 Preview, then installed my apps one by one - I'd accumulated loads of rubbish anyway.

I'm pleased to be getting Whatsapp notifications.

To cut a long story short I'm not seeing any of the problems reported here - apart from one. I can't access my work network which uses a proxy server. My phone is a lot snappier than before too :)

Philip Petrov

Apr 28, 2014
Visit site
Facebook has disappeared from my "email+accounts" folder. I can neither edit, delete, nor create a new one. I'm also having problems syncing my Live account (I already tried the date and time fix and soft reset).

Lance_WPCentral

Nov 22, 2013
Visit site
At times while playing games installed onto the micro SD card (I have a Class 10 card), there is a slight lag. Especially while playing if you get a toast notification, the lag increases for that moment.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos