Developer Preview 8.1 Bugs and Defects Thread

sarkankur

Aug 8, 2013
Visit site
having this constant issue with the new xbox video app, updated it from the store and found out that its crashing every time i try to open it. looked it up the store and found that many users have reported this problem in reviews, hope microsoft fixes it soon since i m unable to watch any videos.

gapost

Dec 1, 2004
Visit site
After I installed 8.1 on my Icon, I was pretty unhappy with some things, including the power button issue. I did a hard reset and didn't restore the backup. That was two days ago. Now, I am using it like normal and have wi-fi on all the time. Things seem to have settled down and smoothed out. I have not had any issues with the phone not coming on when I press the button and although it may not be quite as instant as pre 8.1, it turns on pretty quickly now. So, I'm pretty happy with the update, except for a few features. And swype is pretty amazing if you get used to it.

YoungMeezy

Apr 17, 2014
Visit site
My HTC 8x has been awesome on 8.1. The only thing is on my lock screen, the calendar shows a reminder for tax day all day tomorrow...tax day was 2 days ago

Dale Beckham

Apr 17, 2014
Visit site
"Glance" is a function of Nokias software not Windows Phone. The Dev Preview is a vanilla OS without Nokia's software on top. So, no Glance. I think there may be one or two third party glance-like apps in the store.

chocka

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site
I installed 8.1 on my 1520. I had this strange issue
Initially I couldn't sync my email and got the error 80070057. I tried rebooting, stopping sync and starting sync. Nothing worked. My linked in account is also tied to the hotmail account. I could log in to hotmail using web access without issues. I then tried to delete my linked in account from phone and I never could delete it. Then went to hotmail website and deleted my linked in account. At the same time I changed the password for my hotmail account since I suspected I must have entered one extra character for password in my phone. Then the hotmail started syncing on my phone. I again tried to delete the linked in account from my phone and it still gave me error. I waited for 15 mins and then tried deleting my account and this time it worked. I then added back linked in account and finally all my accounts are working fine now. Strange issue :( While doing this the battery got hot.

I think the whole issue might have been triggered because I entered a wrong password for hotmail. But the email app never prompted me to reenter the password.

mike13ftw

Nov 9, 2013
Visit site
Look at the battery percentage and the battery icon . They are different. This happening only in battery saving mode
aqaga9u2.png

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
Wondering why Microsoft lists cortana music integration as one of the fixes for next week she it works now. No problem starting a playlist for me.

WP_20140417.png

Sent from my Lumia 1020 using Tapatalk

xzyvvy

Oct 27, 2013
Visit site
1. I've had a problem with the power button on my L920 once. I wasn't able to turn on the display ending with soft reset. I guess that this problem exist on multiple different devices.
2. Battery drain is the second issue, but someone already mentioned that after update most of the apps have permission to work in background. Changed settings recently and I'll test it for some time (I keep in mind that Location drain my battery too - before Cortana I was using the GPS only when needed so it was off most of the time).
3. Navigation/animation in the Xbox Games is laggy. It's not running smoothly probably because of animated Avatar, but it wasn't that bad in WP8.

mattmati

Apr 16, 2014
Visit site
On 8.0 we had Full name or number on the lock screen from person who called us, and counter of calls. Only from same/one number.
But now i jest swe on the lock screen number of missed calls. Sad there are no longer names or number if its private.
For more than 2,numbers we just have counter for missed calls

WPUser2

Jan 1, 2014
Visit site
Hi

I recently had a problem when I would arrive to check my phone, I would find the time stuck in glance screen half way up the screen, and when I waved my hand to refresh it it wouldn't do anything. Tried the power button to wake up -nothing, tried double tap to unlock-nothing, and tried camera button to get some life out of it-nothing. Soft reset (pressing lower volume and power key for 10 seconds) worked, but I obviously had to reset the time and date. This happened on Wednesday, two days after the update. My phone worked with 8.1 flawlessly through Monday and Tuesday, and all of Wednesday until the end of the day when the above story happened. After the soft reset on Wednesday night, the phone was fine, no glitches. On Thursday morning, I woke up and noticed that my alarm hadn't gone off, and looked at my phone,and the same thing happened, phone looked crashed or something, probably frozen as the time on the glance screen was frozen since 2 or 3 hours, Ie. The real time was like 7am but the glance screen was frozen on 5am indicating that the phone had frozen 2 hrs before, and so I soft reset again and noticed that it hadn't charged either over the time it had been frozen. Both times the phone froze, it was on the charging plate, and just today, (Thursday) , it happened again, only this time I had set glance to not always be on whilst charging to see if it made a difference. And glance was not on. I picked up my phone, waved my hand over it - nothing, pressed the power button -, nothing, soft reset it and is currently working fine..

The thing I am baffled about is that my 920 worked fine on Monday and Tuesday and most of Wednesday after the update, so why 'brick' 3 times in the space of 1.5 days? Is it that 8.1 doesn't like the charging plate, or is it some apps that could be making the phone force turn off, because I remember installing some tile apps to help the transparent tiles on my start screen. These apps were installed before the temporary bricking of the phone.

So my question is, is this temporary bricking happening to you guys?

And why would it happen? Due to apps? Due to firmware being old?

If it helps, I remember installing an app on this phone a few months ago when it was on wp8, and the phone started temporarily bricking like now, it did it once a day, and when that app became buggy I realised and uninstalled ir, and the bricking stopped.

So could it be one of my apps?

TheArcaneFlame

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
Problems I have noticed on my Icon are as follows....

The delayed power button issue. It generally takes 3 - 5 seconds for the screen to come back on after pressing power.

Rapid battery drain (even after pairing down background apps)

Apparent "fast charging" - Sometimes when the battery runs down I'll then plug it in and it seems that it has charged a significant amount in a short period of time. Faster than would be expected. Not sure if the battery is simply being read wrong and so the battery indicator is wrong in both cases or what the deal is. Your guess is as good as mine. I have not let it run all the way down to dead.

Data Connection lost - No data through cellular or wifi. IE, Cortana, weather, facebook and other apps affected. I could still receive text messages though. Multiple reboots and soft resets did nothing to resolve this data issue. Had to do a hard reset.

This morning shortly after the data connection died the phone began to lag severely at random. When closing apps, when switching apps, when changing to different system settings pages, all over the place. I would receive a "resuming" or "loading" screen with a repeating blue dot horizontal animation. This could last anywhere from a few seconds to a minute or more. During this time all input methods were locked and the phone just sat there unresponsive. Again, rebooting the phone and soft resets had no effect. I ended up hard resetting the phone (not restoring the backup) in order to get things working again. Fingers crossed going forward.

The known general flakiness with Cortana. Doing bing searches rather than answering verbally for everything, even known questions... especially when on Wifi for some reason. Anytime I say "tell me..." she thinks I want to text someone even though it clearly registered what I said as "tell me." Sometimes she will attempt to text "tell me." or she will bring up my own contact asking which number she should text.

It also seems like some ringtone apps don't work. I tried Ringtone Pro yesterday and it came up blank... no matter what I did it would not even list any available ringtones. Before uninstalling it I tried Verizon Ringtones and that wouldn't fully load. Those are the only two app related issues I have noticed so far. I have not tried them since doing the hard reset this morning.

Despite the issues I have had, I think Windows Phone 8.1 is (going to be) fantastic. I have no doubt that these problems will get resolved and I am super excited about all the new functionality and tweaks!

great_smell_of_brut

Jul 29, 2012
Visit site
Re: [Official] Windows Phone 8.1 Bugs and Defects Thread

After a reboot, my ringtone is set to the default one. Did anybody else noticed the problem, that the ringtone isn't saved? I did a hardreset, and after that I noticed, that my ringtone was the the default one by Samsung.
It's the same for me. Does this just affect the Ativ S?

Maglor1981

Mar 5, 2014
Visit site
Re: [Official] Windows Phone 8.1 Bugs and Defects Thread

when I power up the phone, it gets me through to the start screen without asking the PIN code for the sim. Have to press the phone for the PIN code request to come up.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos