Developer Preview 8.1 Bugs and Defects Thread

anon(8316658)

Dec 6, 2013
Visit site
I am very happy with mine Samsung Ativ S with Windows Phone 8.1

Everything Works fine except the camera (video/Flash/burst mode). I can feel a little performance increase like 5% against Phone 8.0, battery is the same, I like the way how the phone alerts me when new updates are ready for download. WiFi connecting time is much faster and the new look of the main screen is superB so... :). Microsoft... I?m loving it!

rockstarzzz

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
Video not working.. There is no other way to play videos.. Anyone tell me how to fix this..
There is no "fix" for it. The app will get updated by Microsoft and will be back to normal. The only chance you have is try a hard reset and see if it changes anything. There are no guarantees with a Preview software.

I am amazed at people who grab a "Developer Preview" and then complain when they find a few bugs, hence why Nokia says they wont support the device as long as the Dev preview is running on it. Most issues you encounter when running the previews can be fixed by doing a Hard Reset, I always suffer through first day so phone can get a latest backup then reset in the morning. Gears taking "forever" means you have a lot of crap, be patient. Phone getting hot and severe battery drainage, yeah I can understand, mine did that too, but again, Hard Reset will fix. Now there will also be the random issue that only a few people get, WiFi issues, Connection issues, and this could boil down to carrier changes that will be included in the official update, or other unique differences. or even a bad download, and well .. that is a chance you take on a preview. my point is dont complain about beta software not being ready for prime time when you are told it is beta and to load at your own risk. ... Thank you

[edit] and the power button thing not working ... Hard Reset will not fix that, no clues, it is annoying, but is not a reason to panic, either use the double tap to wake, or press the power button several times, Im sure Microsoft will have it worked out for the next update
You are probably one of the rare ones in this thread who actually gets it. I along with another mod have spent time reading each of these 1000+ posts. You have pretty much summed up what the thread is all about. For some reason, most users refuse to believe that a Preview will have bugs, a Preview will break firmware related stuff, a Preview won't work with apps that aren't using features of update, a Preview will make hardware a bit weird.

The power button fix does exist and it is in updated firmware. Not all phones and not all models have shown this. At best it is random, which suggests a bad install or a bad firmware compatibility. The only firmware issue we can see is Nokia Lumia Icon - definitely that model needs a firmware update for hardware buttons and softkeys to respond. But that is not a bug with Preview, it is an expected behaviour. But guess what, not many in this thread have got that.

Thanks for putting it out there!

Not sure if this has been reported (I'm not about to check 44 pages) but on my 920, if I'm playing a podcast in the new app using headphones, after I stop listening mid-podcast and take the headphones off, volume visually changes to speakers but no sounds come out and if I try playing the podcast again (without headphones now) it freaks out, says there's a problem and resets the podcast to the beginning. Turning off and on solves this, but it's an inconvenient bug as I listen to podcasts every day on my way to work. This is most likely how the Nokia firmware handles headphones/speakers state, so I'd expect this to be fixed by Cyan.

There is an issue with headphones and Bluetooth and you've rightly identified it to be linked with firmware update. This has been mentioned about 35 times in this entire thread. And has been responded to as well. Also, a tip for future, you don't always have to read 44 pages in a long thread. We have a thread tools option on top right, you can use search button to look for specific words in that particular thread that you are reading. It will pull up only the filtered posts and then you can open the ones that you find relevant. Pretty neat.

anon(5348756)

Sep 28, 2012
Visit site
There is an issue with headphones and Bluetooth and you've rightly identified it to be linked with firmware update. This has been mentioned about 35 times in this entire thread. And has been responded to as well. Also, a tip for future, you don't always have to read 44 pages in a long thread. We have a thread tools option on top right, you can use search button to look for specific words in that particular thread that you are reading. It will pull up only the filtered posts and then you can open the ones that you find relevant. Pretty neat.

Oooh, good to know, I had no idea that function existed, thanks! My headphones aren't Bluetooth based though, but I'd assume that headphones/speakers state change is still affected. Cyan should come relatively soon so it's no biggie. As you mentioned, it's amazing how many people don't get the preview, which while not being a beta, can have some quirks until you get all the firmware updates to make the hardware "fit" the new software.

All in all, exciting times for WP!

Rupert Holmes

Apr 18, 2014
Visit site
Re: Freeze on Lockscreen after Windows Phone 8.1 Preview for Developers Update?

Nokia 1020 Since 8.1 preview, I have experienced two overnight freezes. Each about two days apart. First time could see faint red time "frozen" on screen. Second time screen completely dark. Hard boot was my only cure.

microhaxo#WP

Nov 24, 2010
Visit site
Bugs i have encountered on my 928 that was factory reset after installing 8.1:

Random slow downs and ui stutters,
Multitasking view shows black cards or transparent cards,
Internet Explorer Crashes quite a lot,
Internet explorer infinitely refreshes when navigating to any wpcentral forum thread.
Quite often when using cortana, it shows "Listening" however it is not listening yet and i end up having to repeat the first word of my sentence.
Background tile image changes sometimes dont apply.
When using cortana to launch apps sometimes it says Starting so and so with these parameters and then nothing happens, the app never loads.
Some wp8 apps show the loading screen then immediately close (rebooting the phone is the only solution)

If this is indeed the RTM release, I am worried. Hopefully this is really a preview. For my development needs it works fine. As a daily driver, its quite rough.

Also not receiving notifications on my me tile and my significant others tile is really annoying. I really hope app updates fix this and that its not a "feature"

sree113

Banned
Mar 6, 2014
Visit site
My Lumia 620 worked fine on Windows phone 8. But after installing Windows phone 8.1 everything changed. New UI transitions are not smooth enough. Now it's like playing with a low end Android phone. It is lagging a lot. Some times tiles become gray color during the closing and switching of Apps. It's not because of the background process running, I have disabled every apps from running in back ground.
I can feel the performance difference between 8 and 8.1 in my phone while playing games like temple run. Temple run was smooth in Windows phone 8. 😞
I hope MS will cleared these issues in the official release.

Gmail account won't synchronise when download full message is enabled

In my phone it is not possible to find whether the Bluetooth is on our not

Very difficult to move cursor between texts

Xbox music app can't shows songs more than 100 in the playlist. And it has very slow performance

New photo hub is terrible Windows phone 8 photos hub was amazing

Battery sense not showing live tiles

Did you hard reset after update?
. No, i did it before updating

Camera app is showing a blank screen after taking Photos

Keyboard suggestions doesn't show some common words. Fire example Sometimes I can't find the word " Photo"

Xbox video app is very slow to start. while in offline mode when i start the app, it directly opens personal videos section, and it is unresponsive
for 3-5 seconds.

Phone freezes after opening narrator options

Last edited by a moderator:

rockstarzzz

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
My Lumia 620 worked fine on Windows phone 8. But after installing Windows phone 8.1 everything changed. New UI transitions are not smooth enough. Now it's like playing with a low end Android phone. It is lagging a lot. Some times tiles become gray color during the closing and switching of Apps. It's not because of the background process running, I have disabled every apps from running in back ground.
I can feel the performance difference between 8 and 8.1 in my phone while playing games like temple run. Temple run was smooth in Windows phone 8. ��
I hope MS will cleared these issues in the official release.

Did you hard reset after update?

TSBnick

Mar 17, 2014
Visit site
I have one big problem, after hard resetting my Ativ S (Bell Canada), my data has stopped working. It says it's "on" but there's no connection at all. Any ideas on what I should do? I'm considering hard resetting again (because it's so easy on WP8.1 now :p )

Muessig

Moderator Team Leader
Sep 30, 2012
Visit site
[tip]
Every single last post from this point up has been read, analysed and tested to see if it is a valid bug complaint. We have done this to make sure the OP is a valuable community resource. Any duplicate bugs that are already on the list in the OP from this point on will be deleted[/tip]

metalchick719

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
Re: 8.1 Update - thoughts/experience

This doesn't seem to be working on my 810. I got the Preview for Developers app on my phone via the QR code in the article by Sam on the main page. Went into it, clicked Next, then "Accept" for the terms and all that. Then it says "Connecting to server" but just goes to a blank white page. After a few minutes, I went to Settings to check for new phone updates, but I got an error message saying "Unable to check for updates at this time" with some code. What am I doing wrong? :unhappy:

Zulfigar

Jun 27, 2012
Visit site

This doesn't seem to be working on my 810. I got the Preview for Developers app on my phone via the QR code in the article by Sam on the main page. Went into it, clicked Next, then "Accept" for the terms and all that. Then it says "Connecting to server" but just goes to a blank white page. After a few minutes, I went to Settings to check for new phone updates, but I got an error message saying "Unable to check for updates at this time" with some code. What am I doing wrong? :unhappy:

What's the error code? Also, did you try a soft reset?

metalchick719

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site

You did sign up as a developer (http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/apps/jj193592.aspx)? It will error out if you aren't. You might have to wait a bit for the bit to flip on your Microsoft account.

Yes, that was the first thing I did. It then took me to the Preview for Developers app page, but I didn't click install on that because my SIM is currently in my 925 and I didn't want to update that phone. That's why I got it directly on my 810 via the QR code reader. Or do I have to have the micro SIM in my 810 to do this? I'm so lost. :unhappysweat:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon