Developer Preview 8.1 Bugs and Defects Thread

lkishor

Sep 24, 2013
Visit site
After updating to 8.1, i moved the apps/games to SD card and did a hard reset.
When i opened the SD card in Storage sense, the apps/games are moved to "Others" in SD card and deemed unrestored.. :crying:
That's not what you thought the new feature is for, moving apps to SD card is helpful, but if you are hard resetting your phone, those apps will not be recognized by the phone after reset.Now the only option you are left with is formatting the SD card, and reinstalling apps, and the app data will be lost😐

Petru Murzin

Jul 13, 2013
Visit site
Hello friends, I think I have discovered a new bug at WP 8.1. Well, when I wanted to see how much memory do I have I discovered that the aplication Settings occupy 1.8 GB. I made a Hard Reset but it doesnt helped to solve the problem and after I reinstall the aplications it became larger again. I think that all of the instalation files are keep at my phone, because even when I didnt have anything on my phone it still was around 600mb. My phone is Lumia 920....Could you please advice me what should I do now?Does anybody of you met this problem?It would be very kindly from you to help me)) wp_ss_20140420_0001_2061.png

Oliver Cakajda

Apr 20, 2014
Visit site
on my L1320, i cant copy films on my SD card via USB... everytime i try, this stop me:Bez n?zvu.jpg
(in english: Two and a half man cant copy. Device stop working or be disconect. ).. pictures and music is fine, only video files cant copy... Ill try factory reset, but still cant copy
anyone with same problem ?
EDIT1: i try it on Win 7 , Win 8.1 , Win Vista and Win XP, still same problem. . . if i get SD card to card reader on my notebook, its working fine, so problem is only if SD card is in Lumia and try copy via USB

Last edited:

Robert Novak1

Jun 29, 2013
Visit site
it's not a bug if your SD card is crap and your apps run slow. I have the recommended SD card for a Nokia Lumia 810 and it actually runs apps FASTER than the built in storage does...

Robert Novak1

Jun 29, 2013
Visit site
on my L1320, i cant copy films on my SD card via USB... everytime i try, this stop me:View attachment 63818
(in english: Two and a half man cant copy. Device stop working or be disconect. ).. pictures and music is fine, only video files cant copy... Ill try factory reset, but still cant copy
anyone with same problem ?
EDIT1: i try it on Win 7 , Win 8.1 , Win Vista and Win XP, still same problem. . . if i get SD card to card reader on my notebook, its working fine, so problem is only if SD card is in Lumia and try copy via USB

make sure that your phone is not going into a locked state

Francisc Cristian

Feb 2, 2013
Visit site
Have you activated location services??

yes, my location services are on. I think I know what is the problem. after hard reset, I have to choose the language at that starting process and I only have English(UK). The US version is available only after I download it in the settings zone but the UK version still remains, I can t remove it. I guess i'll have to wait for a HTC firmware ?

Francisc Cristian

Feb 2, 2013
Visit site
yes, my location services are on. I think I know what is the problem. after hard reset, I have to choose the language at that starting process and I only have English(UK). The US version is available only after I download it in the settings zone but the UK version still remains, I can t remove it. I guess i'll have to wait for a HTC firmware ?

"That is because all unbranded HTC phones are shipped with roms without US english as phone language." so this is the problem...I ll have to wait till cortana is released to uk :(

rplyons

Nov 2, 2012
Visit site
Has anyone else noticed since installing the 8.1 Preview that their Battery is lasting only half as long? I'm now using my 1020 Battery Pack halfway during the day and that's without using it!

kishtyle

Feb 10, 2014
Visit site
Battery on my Lumia 1020 did last shorter periods...in wp8 it lasted for 40hrs.... But on WP 8.1 it lasts less than 32 hrs....i am a very moderate user by the way.... you can improve it by removing background tasks...it improved for me

Sent from my RM-875_im_india_230 using Tapatalk

rplyons

Nov 2, 2012
Visit site
Background Tasks are always running at a minimum; it immediately got worse as soon as 8.1 was installed - the software just seems to be sapping more juice from it, yet my 1020 doesn't get any warmer so it doesn't appear to be 'physically' working harder. It is disappointing, but I'm hoping this will dramatically improve with future 8.1 updates

Oliver Cakajda

Apr 20, 2014
Visit site
If you have lock enabled on your phone every time it locks the SD cards become unavailable to the host PC. I have my lock set to 1 minute and I always have to unlock the phone before The PC will see the storage.
still not very effective. . . i set lock on 5 minutes . . . only one epizode from file copy on SD card, next epizodes cant. . . i buy 64GB microSD to fill it with serials, and i cant . . .

Robert Novak1

Jun 29, 2013
Visit site
still not very effective. . . i set lock on 5 minutes . . . only one epizode from file copy on SD card, next epizodes cant. . . i buy 64GB microSD to fill it with serials, and i cant . . .

Change your USB port cable

I had a laptop that would not see my phone and once I replaced the MB under warranty the issue was resolved. Test your phone on another PC if you still have issues try another cable

Oliver Cakajda

Apr 20, 2014
Visit site
Change your USB port cable

I had a laptop that would not see my phone and once I replaced the MB under warranty the issue was resolved. Test your phone on another PC if you still have issues try another cable
I try it on 5 PC/laptops (and four OS) , still same problem . . . i try another cable, still have this problem. . . i think problem can be here :
nokia22.jpg
when i first connect mobile, only Lumia 1320 install correct, another 2 drivers failed and cant found on windows update, then i look for drivers in whole internet and cant find it. . .

Josip Zeljko

Feb 12, 2014
Visit site
OK, here is my summary after using WP 8.1 developer preview ever since it was released on my HTC 8S.
I've done hard and soft reset multiple times, last time was 4 days ago

Bad (Bugs, problems etc.):
1. Internet explorer crashes when loading heavy websites (Phonearena.com for example). It doesn't crash immediately, maybe after a minute. Also when browsing the wpcentral forums it tends to continually refresh the page until it crashes. I've noticed that a lot of other users seem to have this problem (The ones with HTC phones, but some with lumias too). This problem occurs in other browsers too but not always (Maxton works fine on WPcentral forums)
2. I can't acces Internet Explorers advanced settings. Not from inside the app, neither from the settings menu. It just returns me to the previous screen.
3. I can't change my phone language to English (US). I have found that this happends on other HTC phones too
4. Animations stutter sometimes.This never happened in WP8, but mostly the phone operates smoothly. It's not a biggie since it happens rarely, mostly after an app crashes
5. App loading times are hit or miss. This has nothing to do with where the app was installed. Sometimes they load faster, sometimes slower. WP8 was pretty much consistent when it came to this
6. Sometimes live tiles take a second or two to "load".. This mostly happens when I unlock the phone and scroll fast to the bottom. This never happened on WP8

Conclusion:I think that there are some RAM memory management problems. It's the only thing that could explain most of those problems. I'm getting a feeling that they still haven't finished tweaking the new memory management system.

The good:
1. Everything about WP 8.1. I admit, there are some problems, but the OS feels really mature now. I'm liking the app2sd option especially (Storage was a big problem on HTC 8S).

In general I don't understand all the complaints (Ok, the new cursor for text selection is bad - it's the only one agree with). We even have file managers now :), action center, tile backgrounds

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos