Developer Preview 8.1 Bugs and Defects Thread

TheJoester09

Mar 16, 2012
Visit site
For the past 4-5 days, I've been having a really strange issue with my Icon. The phone gets really hot while idle, and then when I unlock it, the start screen just shows the black "loading..." page. This of course drains a ton of battery too. It happens at random times, but there are no apps open in the background (I always close everything before I lock my phone), so I don't know what's causing it. I thought it was Wi-Fi related, but the last couple of times that it happened, the Wi-Fi was off. I did a hard reset over the weekend, but it didn't fix the problem. I'm guessing it's a background task on an app, but I have no idea which one it could be. I don't have many background tasks enabled. Has anyone else experienced this? Any ideas?

frogman44

Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
Didn't see this listed - a definite change (not for the better) from Windows Phone 8.0.

In my contacts list, I have two separate contacts - Kronos In and Kronos Out. The phone number is the same, but the last digit is different. It is used to punch the time clock at work.
- Kronos In dials "###-###-####,,,(employee ID),,1"
- Kronos Out is "###-###-####,,,(employee ID),,2"

(commas are pauses, fwiw)

This worked fine in Windows Phone 8.0. In 8.1, without changing any of the contact information, my history now changes the names of all my Kronos calls to whichever one I dialed last. In other words, after I punch IN, then all the calls in my history now say "Kronos In", even the ones that will punch me out. And once I punch out, the calls in my history all change to "Kronos Out". There is no way to tell for sure which will punch me in and which will punch me out from looking at the history.

I have added both numbers to my Speed Dial, which should be a workaround once I train myself to use it - but the phone needs to be able to differentiate between these two different contacts, just as it did perfectly in 8.0.

Marconis4

Mar 16, 2013
Visit site
Didn't hunt through everything, honestly; made a thread about this, too.

-Call drops for no reason and immediately goes to a dial tone, sometimes even calls back the person that it hung up on
-Speakerphone comes on in the middle of a call, nearly every time
-Sometimes if I take my phone away from my face, it will transition to the call history list instead of the contact card I am currently speaking to. It's frustrating because sometimes I'd like to put it on speaker, and sometimes I can't even end a call unless I touch "tap to expand"

I have an Icon. Thanks.

rohit bhattacharjee

Apr 1, 2014
Visit site
guys, I have a question..i know its a small one, but il ask it nonetheless.. I have updated a total of 3 phones by now(coz I have wifi and my friends don't :p) , including my lumia 720 and 2 lumia 520s.. I noticed on the 520s that when any apps are updated, a notification comes in the notification bar, which surprisingly does not happen on my 720.. also, I have to manually check for updates, and after my 8.1 update, I haven't seen the store tile count go up to even one on its own..is it a small glitch, or should I do something which ma help.. FYI automatic updates, and update over wifi are both off on all three phones.

Sourav Ghatak

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
guys, I have a question..i know its a small one, but il ask it nonetheless.. I have updated a total of 3 phones by now(coz I have wifi and my friends don't :p) , including my lumia 720 and 2 lumia 520s.. I noticed on the 520s that when any apps are updated, a notification comes in the notification bar, which surprisingly does not happen on my 720.. also, I have to manually check for updates, and after my 8.1 update, I haven't seen the store tile count go up to even one on its own..is it a small glitch, or should I do something which ma help.. FYI automatic updates, and update over wifi are both off on all three phones.

Have you checked in the Notifications+Action section whether you have notifications for Store ON ?
Might be a small miss.

Arvind R

Dec 26, 2012
Visit site
Re: Windows 8.1 keyboard freezing

Hi all, did some self digging and solved the issue. Did soft reset the phone, but while re-installation of software skipped the account login steps and hence got my factory setup home screen and apps. Later installed the apps manually, gave account details manually and did the individual settings manually instead of pulling from the MS server. Now things are back on track and everything works well. If anybody have such an issue - phone hangs, frequent restarts, etc., hope my above said method works well for you too. Thanks

Christian Meyer71

May 14, 2013
Visit site
I just had a hell of a time trying to take a picture while on a phone call. The screen kept blacking out right after I pressed the camera button (Lumia 1020), staying black for more than five seconds at a time. In the end I could shoot a few pictures, but it took way too much effort.

I had kind of the same problem, but I was trying to reply on a SMS while talking on the phone.

HannesB

Jan 16, 2012
Visit site
hi,
I am the developer of Week View and I released an update for WP 8.1 of my app a few days ago.
At the moment I am gettings emails from some users that the live tile does not update.

Did some of you experience the same problem on non-MS apps?
Were you able to solve it + did a sort-reset of the phone solve it?

best regards,
Hannes

Nitesh Tilwani

Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
hi,
I am the developer of Week View and I released an update for WP 8.1 of my app a few days ago.
At the moment I am gettings emails from some users that the live tile does not update.

Did some of you experience the same problem on non-MS apps?
Were you able to solve it + did a sort-reset of the phone solve it?

best regards,
Hannes

I use few weather apps and messengers... Some weather tiles dont update as promised, but others are working fine... Also live tiles of few RSS Readers also work fine...

Sent from my Nokia Lumia 625 using Tapatalk

markshenoda

Jul 24, 2013
Visit site
I live in the New York City area. When using Maps on WP8.1 using my Lumia 820, I'm getting some very weird behavior with the traffic display. As I pinch to zoom in and out, the traffic shown keeps changing. At one zoom level, a road is showing red. Zoom out a bit, it shows green. A little more, it shows orange/yellow. Anyone else having similar issues?? It seems to be wide spread all over the city.

inkryptic

May 6, 2014
Visit site
SMS/Text History reassigned

I was trying to get the Facebook Beta app to offer my Facebook contacts up for linking (wasn't able to) when I found this issue.

From a contact (my wife), I chose the link option, and then the option to bring up the list of contacts. I tried to press the 'a' to bring up the alphabet so I could navigate faster to my wife's contact name, but accidentally chose the first person in my contact list instead. This caused a link of two different people. I think removed that person from the link.

Now, however, my entire text history with my wife is assigned to the person I mistakenly linked with her contact, and I can't find a way to undo that.

Lance_WPCentral

Nov 22, 2013
Visit site
I have the FB official app not the BETA. I have integrated it with my Lumia 1320 via the people hub. When I open the account via people hub and do a sync,most of the time it doesn't work n gives a message "We aren't able to sync right now. Please try again in a little while"
Anyone else has this problem?

Last edited:

Squatting Hen

Apr 15, 2012
Visit site
I am having a few issues on 8.1 DP and wanted to post them here to see if anyone knows any tricks or tips to get things working correctly. All of these issues below were present on two 920?s, as I just recently had to replace one due to a bad mic? (people couldn?t hear me). I did a clean install on the new 920, as I did not have a backup option/file saved.

1. Phone will not backup Settings or Apps. I have tried both and either or, and it always fails at 96% and says to try again later. This happened on both 920?s. I even tried this before I installed all of my apps on my replacement phone, but it still hung at 96%. Therefore, I have no backups.

2. Xbox Music app crashes within 5 seconds of opening. This actually worked on my defective 920, but will not stay open on my replacement one.

3. Wifi Sense does not work. Connecting to a network that requires you to accept terms, does not work. I have tried this at McDonalds and the grocery store. Both offer free Wi-Fi, and I have ATT so McDonalds is actually considered a hotspot for ATT. I can?t get Wi-Fi or data to work at all in either place. I even tired turning Wi-Fi off and my phone wouldn?t connect using my data plan. Like the attempted connection killed my wireless/data. I have to leave the range of the Wi-Fi for my phone to connect to the internet again. I tried having credentials input in data sense, and I tried without. I can?t even get to a page to accept the terms manually, as nothing will load. I can connect to free Wi-Fi that does not require you to accept terms without a problem.

4. This really is an app issue but...Frozen Free Fall does not pick up it's saved file from my OneDrive account. The game has you login with your MS account and puts a gamesave file in your OneDrive account. When I reinstalled the app on my replacement phone and logged in with my MS account, it started me over at level one.

Thanks for any advice, tips, and or suggestions.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99