Developer Preview 8.1 Bugs and Defects Thread

Viktor Sze

Feb 6, 2014
Visit site
I have not found any discussion about it yet:
Many Microsoft applications (Calendar, Battery Sense, Diagnostics, and now Files also) have strange behavior when closing app in regular way by pressing Back key. After I close the app, it seems closed. Strange thing comes when I then press and hold Back again (multitasking). Closed app is acctually stacked in list.

Just try it by yourself:
1. Launch Calendar
2. Close Calendar by pressing Back
3. Press and hold Back -> swipe to the left in list, there is Calendar again
4. Tap on Calendar -> opens the app
5. Close app by pressing Back
perpetuum

Tested on HTC 8S and Lumia 630.

The strangest thing is that recently released app Files has the same weird behavior. On the other hand, some other apps by Microsoft work OK, eg: Alarms, Data Sense, Dev Center, Calculator, Store, Wallet, Podcasts, Storage Sense.

I really can not explain what is the meaning of such logic. It seems like Microsoft breaks its own (strict) rules for developers about app behavior (especially Back key behavior).

Kaushik Dash

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site
Many Microsoft applications (Calendar, Battery Sense, Diagnostics, and now Files also) have strange behavior when closing app in regular way by pressing Back key. After I close the app, it seems closed. Strange thing comes when I then press and hold Back again (multitasking). Closed app is acctually stacked in list.

Just try it by yourself:
1. Launch Calendar
perpetuum

The strangest thing is that recently released app Files has the same weird behavior. On the other hand, some other apps by Microsoft work OK, eg: Alarms, Data Sense, Dev Center, Calculator, Store, Wallet, Podcasts, Storage Sense.

I really can not explain what is the meaning of such logic. It seems like Microsoft breaks its own (strict) rules for developers about app behavior (especially Back key behavior).
That is how WP8.1 specific apps work. The apps are suspended in the back ground when you press the back button, unlike WP8 where it closed the apps.

Will6371

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site

Just try it by yourself:
1. Launch Calendar
perpetuum

That has been mentioned loads of times.

Phillip Deackes

Jan 6, 2013
Visit site
On the first page of this thread it says that connecting to a wifi network with a proxy doesn't work and won't work until there is a firmware update.

My 920 with the 8.1 update connects perfectly well. Initially I got 'no Internet access', but then connectivity kicked in. My school proxy doesn't require authentication though - maybe this is what allows it to work. Anyone else?

Viktor Sze

Feb 6, 2014
Visit site
That is how WP8.1 specific apps work. The apps are suspended in the back ground when you press the back button, unlike WP8 where it closed the apps.
So we have Android logic in WP? One of the reasons I hate Android is that Google presents idea apps don't need to close, instead should be paused.
Don't want to make a flame about which logic is better, but I definitely prefer if I can manage my memory. By that I mean I will close the apps I want to close; I will pause the apps I want to pause. I loved WP because when I closed the app, it was gone and there was nothing left in memory.

Now Microsoft assume they know better what you want.

How about battery drain, do paused have any impact?

andy0181

May 31, 2014
Visit site
Hi,
I have been experiencing 2 problems on my L520 , Developer preview 8.1.
1. Back button is working only partially i.e. single back press doesn't work but long back button press takes me to the multitasking view as expected.
2. Phone volume is automatically reduced to lowest level even if I drag it back to maximum. and there is constant bar which shows "Vibrate" (Screen shot attached )]where toast notifications usually pop up. Whenever I press the back button, this notification bar just shivers and nothing else happens.
I have tried hard reset couple of times but to no avail. Please help.
wp_ss_20140601_0001.jpg

Manojkumar_25

Feb 28, 2013
Visit site
Hi andy0181,

Issue (1 & 2) seems to be you volume down button got stuck...check that..if your using a cover remove it and see..else remove the back panel and place it properly..if the issue still persists take it Nokia care and see to that volume down key is fixed...😊

masaud

Jun 1, 2014
Visit site
I am using windows 8.1 on my Nokia Lumia 1520.Now Data Sense is not working.Whenever i press Data Sense in settings it try to load but come back to setting after while.

After having Data Sense issues,Push Mails are not working.Everytime I need to munally sync e-mails of my all accounts like gmail/yahoo/Outlook etc

Kaushik Dash

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site
So we have Android logic in WP? One of the reasons I hate Android is that Google presents idea apps don't need to close, instead should be paused.
Don't want to make a flame about which logic is better, but I definitely prefer if I can manage my memory. By that I mean I will close the apps I want to close; I will pause the apps I want to pause. I loved WP because when I closed the app, it was gone and there was nothing left in memory.

Now Microsoft assume they know better what you want.

How about battery drain, do paused have any impact?
It has always been like that. It's basically the same situation where you just press the start button instead of back button in WP8. They will just freeze in the background. They have just implemented it to the back button. You can close them by swiping down or pressing the x button. They don't consume battery.

tumbledown

Apr 1, 2014
Visit site
Re: [Official] Windows Phone 8.1 Bugs and Defects Thread

New app "Files" failed to install on my Nokia 820 with preview 8.1. I can retry but always get error code 80073cf9. Anyone else had this problem? What is solution?

maclancer

Dec 29, 2013
Visit site
Backup does not work in 8.1, I did another hard reset in my 1520. I backup my apps and settings before I did it and looks like is doing the thing but once you reset the phone and put your Microsoft account them nothing happen. There is nothing that pop up and ask you if you want your backup and when you go to the backup and click on manage backup, nothing in there either. Don't know if this is already published in this topic.

junglescope

Mar 27, 2014
Visit site
Does anyone else have this problem? When using the light theme, my phone will randomly switch the keyboard to the dark theme before flashing to the dark theme or when I unlock my phone the the pin keypad will be in the dark theme. Bit annoyed at all but I'm just wondering.

ShreyansShah

Aug 12, 2013
Visit site
Does anyone else have this problem? When using the light theme, my phone will randomly switch the keyboard to the dark theme before flashing to the dark theme or when I unlock my phone the the pin keypad will be in the dark theme. Bit annoyed at all but I'm just wondering.

yes. i noted that. particularly, when the lock screen wallpaper is changed. and i use amazing weather hd, which changes lockscreen every 4 hours.
i just am not annoyed by that. it happens in beta phase.

Mark Kaplan

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
Backup does not work in 8.1, I did another hard reset in my 1520. I backup my apps and settings before I did it and looks like is doing the thing but once you reset the phone and put your Microsoft account them nothing happen. There is nothing that pop up and ask you if you want your backup and when you go to the backup and click on manage backup, nothing in there either. Don't know if this is already published in this topic.
I am not experiencing this behavior. I recently moved from a 920 to an Icon/929 with both running 8.1 and everything synchronized and restored correctly.

R0b3rtS

May 9, 2014
Visit site
i noticed that text messages are not ordered correctly.

New messages of this months are on top and older onces on the bottom, when i receive a new text message it is displayed under the last one of this months (currently 3th one from above).

Dunno if this is a bug or setting, i cannot find a setting for ordering my text message if it is...

Cookadoodledoo

Jun 2, 2014
Visit site
Anyone had a problem whereby when composing an sms or similar, the words stop appearing and typing freezes? Only fixed by tapping away from the dialogue box and then back on it. I'm using a Nokia Lumia 1020.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MatthewHilbers