Final last words for Windows Phone 8: memories, nostalgia, thank yous, a new chapter awaits!

Naren Parker

Aug 14, 2013
Visit site
Great work abel920. Personally, I feel that this is not a farewell in the exact sense. Its just "enabling" the core OS to do more and better. I haven't had a smartphone till the Lumia 920 which I still consider to be the most innovative phone produced in recent times. The other models were just upgrades or downgrades to the whole 920 experience. I remember following the live blogs online during Nokia's announcement of the 920 and wished that I would someday earn enough dough to buy one on my own...and I finally could. There are little nags here and there but the phone still stands as king. And what an experience WP 8.0 has been. I knew that although my iDroid friends could do more with their OS, we would somehow be on par someday in the not so distant future and we are ever more closer to that goal and infact, crossing it with 8.1. And this OS provides an experience that is unrivalled. There are (were) many shortcomings and brickbats hurled at MS that they were silent. But I guess all that silence has paid off. Marketshare was never a point of concern for me. I could do all that I wanted with the existing apps - first or third party and be witness to some amazing apps with great UI elements which the other 95% can only dream of. I will be downloading the WP 8.1 Dev Preview when MS flicks the switch later today. I have a strong feeling that with the developments announced at Build 2014, MS is in a very strong position to build a vibrant ecosystem spanning all screen sizes. Its only a matter of time before it happens and I hope that the new "One Microsoft" philosophy initiated by Ballmer and now continuing under Mr. Nadella's leadership really gets to prove its mettle soon. Cheers !!

Ankit Nawlakha

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site
Thats actually wonderful!
Sooner or later this will be adopted by School Boards! A book will be published called as "WinPhoners" and this is gonna be the first chapter! Lol!

Ankit Nawlakha

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site
WP8 may you rest in peace! It was always a pleasure using you on my WP! Thank you for all those pleasure!
But now your successor is about to arrive! And i am preparing my Lumia to get it! So i have to bury you!
You are dead.. But you'll be always be alive in my heart and soul!
Good Bye My old friend! Will Miss You! :cry:

SwimSwim

Feb 1, 2013
Visit site
*sheds tear*

Beautiful. WP8 on my 1020 has been there for me, we've done so much together, we've gone on so man adventures. But alas, the time of WP8 ends, it's time is up. I will always cherish the good times we've had, that we've shared. From amusement parks with friend, to Hawaii with my family, to San Diego with my swim team, we've done so much together. People try to put my phone down, criticizing the OS it runs, but it endured and persevered, always pressing forward, looking for new adventures, new thrills.

But alas, at long last: the sun sets on Windows Phone 8. But for every sunset, there's always another sunrise, and that comes with WP8.1. I look forward to all the new adventures and experiences I'll share with it. My phone has always been good to me, and it's only going to get better.

But while we all enjoy 8.1 and all the new goodies it brings us: let us reflect upon all the good times we've had with 8. Windows Phone 8: Gone, but not forgotten.

Here's to 8.1, and every decimal thereafter!

Sunandan Mahant

Aug 16, 2013
Visit site
A farewell that android users won't be able to give due to inability of all the phones to be upgraded...
I don't know why you say goodbye I say hello...
Hello WP8.1

SwimSwim

Feb 1, 2013
Visit site
A farewell that android users won't be able to give due to inability of all the phones to be upgraded...
I don't know why you say goodbye I say hello...
Hello WP8.1

Well, technically WP8 will give one last "goodbye" as it powers down to reboot for the update. It'd be so cool if they programmed 8.1 to say "hello" on start-up, though...

SwimSwim

Feb 1, 2013
Visit site
Damn... I over thought this, now I actually feel kinda sad because I know that my 1020 will give one last "goodbye" as it restarts to install 8.1. It's giving me one last goodbye as it leaves forever... Damn it... I need some sleep, I'm becoming way too emotional about my technology 0.0

alvinsfb

Mar 19, 2013
Visit site
That's so touching..
In wp8, we got A LOT of high-rated apps in the store
Lets say, temple run 2, subway surfers, path, and anything else.
I won't forget you, my best partner in every single day.

Bogi Georgiev

Sep 21, 2013
Visit site
Rather than thinking of this as WP8 dying and WP8.1 being born, can't we just think of it as windows phone being our child who is growing? 7 was the newborn, 7.5 the baby, 8 the toddler and now it will grow into 8.1 the child, it's far less depressing in my opinion ;)

SwimSwim

Feb 1, 2013
Visit site
Rather than thinking of this as WP8 dying and WP8.1 being born, can't we just think of it as windows phone being our child who is growing? 7 was the newborn, 7.5 the baby, 8 the toddler and now it will grow into 8.1 the child, it's far less depressing in my opinion ;)

Indeed, far less depressing. I second this view.

TheBadGuy_88

Oct 28, 2012
Visit site
I've been on the bandwagon since tmobile US had the shadow (windows mobile 6) watch the embarrassment called 6.5 on my hd2(that hd2 was a hell of a device) . I then watched a phoenix die and be reborn with the HTC hd7. windows phone 7 first won me over when it had the same layout as my favorite music player the Zune HD! (remember that?!) that was the beginning of the takeover. I watched as the Lumia 800 then 900 came saddened my old trusty magenta didn't end up with it. a couple months later another friend joined my life, the Lumia 710. boy was that one durable! I remember changing back covers like I did back in my Nokia 3310 days! what fun! then that phoenix died with the announcement of the subject at the moment wp8. it was like my favorite Athlete getting drafted! we made it to the big leagues! we were here! I also had a shiny new Lumia 920 to represent that! I now had a phone with the tools to seriously compete, along with the best camera ever in a smart phone! now though! right now! were about to take over this cell phone league here! the phoenix is rising once again. WE'RE ALL ABOUT TO HAVE ALOT OF NEW FRIENDS! I look out my window and I see the bandwagons lining up, gearing up for the impending rush! wp8 has been good, but I just feel like this unicorn of a phone (Lumia 1520.3, rm938) was built for more. it always had a greater purpose! Later today its potential we'll start to be revealed! wp8.1 will finally give our phones the voice it deserves. thank you bungee for the gift from the future. I promise we'll maker her better, with us she will begin to grow into the A.I you intended. this isn't a goodbye more of a ill see you later once you've been reborn. I can't wait to chat with you!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss