[Official] Initial thoughts on Developer Preview of WP8.1

neo158

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
Re: Initial thoughts on Developer Preview of WP8.1

I'll post a step by step of what I did as soon as I get off work. I've done criminally little work today already!

Thanks, Not really surprising considering the little update called WP8.1 ;-p

mary beth hale

Mar 13, 2013
Visit site

on "migrating data". kind of cute...they give you encouraging little comments on each screen.

rockstarzzz

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site

Hard reset your phones guys and then set region to USA during set up - Cortana will come with a hard reset for NON-US unfortunately. You have to lose your game scores to get her ;)

neo158

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site

Hard reset your phones guys and then set region to USA during set up - Cortana will come with a hard reset for NON-US unfortunately. You have to lose your game scores to get her ;)

Not really worth it then, I'll patiently wait for her arrival here in the UK ;-)

mozman68

Dec 29, 2013
Visit site

Mine went faster than most on here I guess....just tried Cortana (I'm in the US)....everything seems to be working great. Now going to spend the next hour or more customizing!!

neo158

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site

Can anyone tell me what is the size of update........and is this also need wifi for update????��

About 700MB AFAIK although that may vary, wifi is needed as the update is too large for those on a data plan.

kukuxumusu

Mar 15, 2014
Visit site

Hello WP users! Is it safe to plug my phone to my loptop while its updating(for charging)?. Even it's on spinning gears can i still plug on it? Or do I need to unplug it once I'm about to install it?

mary beth hale

Mar 13, 2013
Visit site

both updates finished in 50 minutes without any issues. now it's time to explore and play with my reborn ativ s.(smile)

ammoiz

Aug 25, 2013
Visit site

Done with 2nd update download on my L520 now starting it on L620 I am not in US, however I have done regional settings to US lets see if I can get that Ms.

neo158

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site

Hello WP users! Is it safe to plug my phone to my loptop while its updating(for charging)?. Even it's on spinning gears can i still plug on it? Or do I need to unplug it once I'm about to install it?

I wouldn't just to be on the safe side, you run the risk of bricking your phone if it runs out of power.

SpaceyO

Feb 23, 2014
Visit site

Spinning gears at 7% or so for the last 10 minutes....I know it's not a problem, I know it's part of the process, I know it-OH MY GOD HURRY UP!!!!!

There...I feel better.

Davingtons

Sep 9, 2013
Visit site

I've got WP8.1 running on my Lumia 920 in the UK.

Initial thoughs:
  • Love the new action center - its especially good at showing new emails.
  • Extended width of tiles on main screen is great, although the text does seem a bit small on some tiles.
  • Does GMail support push now? It seems to get my emails a lot more frequently than it did before.
  • Podcasts app seems a bit bare, but I guess it'll get more features as time goes on
  • Transparent background on front screen makes the phone totally different and looks much more up to date

I'm looking forward to seeing how the battery is any different on this release.
I've not tried Cortana yet as I don't want to change regions. I may wait until others comment on how useful it is before taking the plunge.

Davingtons

Sep 9, 2013
Visit site

Altogether, the update took about 2 hours from getting the initial first small update.
When installing this, I got an error on the screen saying my battery was flat (even though it was fully charged). I had it plugged in to the mains at this point. Unplugging it made this error go away and the install went ahead flawlessly.

kukuxumusu

Mar 15, 2014
Visit site

I wouldn't just to be on the safe side, you run the risk of bricking your phone if it runs out of power.

So it's just safe to keep my phone plug in while it's installing? (spinning gears,migrating,etc?)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vascro