[Official] Initial thoughts on Developer Preview of WP8.1

bayanii

Mar 3, 2014
Visit site
Re: Initial thoughts on Developer Preview of WP8.1

Yeah swipe down on the multitasking menu. I was worried of the status bar being to intrusive, but its faded. Back to it.

rockstarzzz

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site

Confirmed - Cortana works in all her glory when you change your region and language to USA.

If you already are in US region before update - you need a hard reset. Then changing language and region to US.
If you are not in the US region during update - you will most likely see it as soon as you make changes.

Hazim_NewDelhi

Feb 19, 2014
Visit site

Hi lumia 928(bought in US) user here in india. Cortana works as long as the region is selected to US. It disappears without a trace when region changed to India.

OneOfMany

Dec 19, 2012
Visit site

Getting there... and it will be worth the wait lol. Love that message

Gotta head to work.

Davingtons

Sep 9, 2013
Visit site

Yep, that's how it works at the moment unfortunately. You have to have the region set to US.

Davingtons

Sep 9, 2013
Visit site

Just found the independent volume controls for media and ringer. I forgot it had this new feature.
Hopefully now, I'll stop missing calls because I've put the volume on low when I'm listening to music and then forgetting to turn it up again afterwards.

richard_rsp

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site

Ok, just downloaded for my Lumia 925... pretty impressed! My favorite features so far have been: Separate volume for ringer/media, and how it auto searches emails for dates in order to auto set up calendar events (REALLY missed that from my iPhone).

Cortana question/responses still need some work - she sends me to 'Bing' results wayy too much. I have asked questions like "what is my name?" and "How far is it to Gainesville, Georgia?" and she sends to Bing. However if I ask "Can I get directions to Gainesville, Georgia?", then she sends me to HERE Drive, as I would expect. But this is just getting used to natural language and not a big deal, seeing how she is a beta.

I havent played with any of the WIFI sense, etc. But I look forward to playing more today!

Oh, and having battery life percentage in the notification center? Much better!

neo158

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site

Finally downloading WP8.1, here's hoping it goes through flawlessly.

Psyk00

Apr 1, 2013
Visit site

Are letters organizing app list obligatory now? Guess it's logical when all apps and games are listed in WP8.1. I've noticed that Games app doesen't view animated avatar when pinned to start. Some kind of bug or it's a normal behaviour? So far I'm more than impressed. Amazing work Microsoft!

Oh, and is there a way to keep my local language of the phone while having it set to US region and English (US) speech?

Live2Deliver

Oct 30, 2013
Visit site

my initial thoughts... my phone's rocking now!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
The action centre, separate volume control, these two made my day.

imo though, extra tiles looks ugly. maybe they can reduce the gap in between tiles a little.

eXadrian

Feb 13, 2013
Visit site

Running on my HTC 8s. Installing/transferring all my apps now on my SD card. And extra tiled home screen works on it as well. Thought it was only going to work on 4.5 inch and bigger, but works on 4 inch as well.

kingenu

Sep 26, 2013
Visit site

after installing on my ativ s it was laggy at first then i reset the phone then restarted it twice and now its smooth as hell, also a change i noticed guys, you can fliter your contacts now e.g show only outlook contacts or show only twitter contacts

Davingtons

Sep 9, 2013
Visit site

imo though, extra tiles looks ugly. maybe they can reduce the gap in between tiles a little.
The AC and volume control sure are great new features.
I kinda like the extra tiles though. Since I pin lots to my start screen, I've now got much less scrolling to do.

neo158

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site

I took some screenshots on a 720p emulator image set to roughly the same size as my ATIV S and it doesn't look too bad with the extra tiles.

neo158

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site

Running on my HTC 8s. Installing/transferring all my apps now on my SD card. And extra tiled home screen works on it as well. Thought it was only going to work on 4.5 inch and bigger, but works on 4 inch as well.

Microsoft stated that ALL WP8 devices would get the Extra Tiles toggle in WP8.1 regardless of screen size.

mary beth hale

Mar 13, 2013
Visit site

favorites so far seem to be small things I didn't realized I wanted...action center, volume controls, new camera app look and settings and start screen background. will be trying out Cortana this afternoon. loving everything so far.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shelton786