[Official] Initial thoughts on Developer Preview of WP8.1

thatotherdude24

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
Re: Initial thoughts on Developer Preview of WP8.1

This is probably a dumb question... But where is the really cool lock screen that they demoed?

Not a dumb question - it's not available yet.

It's going to be coming later, Joe Belfiore said as much at Build.

I do like WP8.1 but I do think the Dev preview was released to soon. Not everything is ready to go, the lock screen and apps for example are not ready and hurt the 8.1 experience. It should have been all at once.

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk

Blacklac

Nov 10, 2011
Visit site

What happen to App background management? Am I blind? 😝 Sorry if this was discussed.

JoaoCSM

Apr 10, 2014
Visit site

Try attaching a doc file to an existing email thread and report back. Because when someone asks me to send them a document I don't reply with a totally separate email, does any business work that way? Complete and utter disgrace this functionality is not there in the 4th year of this platforms existence. Again they have concentrated on fluff like Cortana instead of addressing real problems with this OS.

You are right about it. I agree with you. But it is a small step. Now the only needs is to replace the function of the attach button from going to gallery to go to a menu where it asks what do you want to attach.

SSK the Gr8

Dec 24, 2011
Visit site

Another thing I was hoping to get rid of was easy access tiles and how could Msoft miss the data toggle in the action centre ! they have it for wifi but not for Mobile data! :angry:

nevena11

Apr 15, 2014
Visit site

hello i have a question, hope someone can help
to become a registered developer i need to developer unlock my phone, but to do so i need to download the SDK. but SDK wont download to pc windows 7, i guess it only works on windows 8? i dont know if im correct, but it wont download on my pc w7. so my question is, is there a way to get a preview for developers and become a registered developer if i have pc with windows 7 or do i need windows 8?

Mattman86

Mar 24, 2014
Visit site

to become a registered developer i need to developer unlock my phone, but to do so i need to download the SDK. but SDK wont download to pc windows 7, i guess it only works on windows 8? i dont know if im correct, but it wont download on my pc w7. so my question is, is there a way to get a preview for developers and become a registered developer if i have pc with windows 7 or do i need windows 8?

Just go to appstudio.windowsphone.com and sign up. Then download the Preview For Developers app from the store. No unlocking needed.

supping

Jul 6, 2013
Visit site

Disappointing update, just another "we ran out of time" one.
Too little, too late (and too much bugs) to be on par with other OS.
And worst thing is even WP now lags sometimes (games hub, start screen, etc).
That's only just after updating. It gets faster with use.

SpaceyO

Feb 23, 2014
Visit site

You just need the Windows 8 phone, no PC necessary, and no SDK necessary either.

Kaushik Dash

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site
My judgement - It's awesome! New features are worth the jump to windows phone.

There's lag on 512 MB devices as it seems, changing tabs in IE lags, closing IE to start screen animation lags, some apps lag, closing some apps lag, general animation/transition lag. So in a nutshell, there's a a bit of lag throughout the OS. No issues with games however, (asphalt 8's graphics seems to have downgraded, maybe just me.)

I actually think the battery life of my 620 has greatly improved. Resuming times has decreased a lot for some apps, decrease by a bit for some apps, but in general has decreased.

Initially I hated the parallax background, but with good pictures, its brilliant. Call me different, but after some getting used to, using 3 tile layout on my 620 really is good. I have no problem reading, extra small tiles are really small but I have no problem choosing them even though my hand is pretty big.

Cortana manages to understand almost everything I say (I have to fake my accent a bit ofcourse, but you get the point). MS's years of experience in speech recognition has paid off! Almost everytime when I ask something, it does it. A few exceptions, but that's expected. It's in beta

When I first updated, general OS lagged more. Pulling down action centre lagged, scrolling through OS lagged but a hard reset fixed it (Above mentioned lag issues still remain).

Word flow keyboard is very good. I kinda liked the old store but I will get used to the new one.

General bugs I have noticed so far - lag, kids corner still asks for password, geofencing doesn't work properly - gave me reminder after I was 800 metres away from the place set in reminder.
Don't know if it was there before, but only six apps remain in multitasking view. Opening another app closes the first app in the multi tasking view.

thatotherdude24

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
Maybe it's just me but I cannot get Wi-Fi to turn on and off from action center. I read where you're supposed to hold it but even after holding it I still end up at the Wi-Fi screen. Holding Bluetooth though turns it off.

What am I doing wrong?

Sent from my Lumia 928

Keith Wallace

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
Good:

1. Extra tiles is nice.
2. Coloring of tiles is a bit better.
3. Background tiles are neat.
4. Notification Center is well-done.
5. Separate volume controls are a great idea.

Bad:

1. Music hub is horrid.
2. Games hub no longer serves a function (can't uninstall/pin from it, and the games are in the app list, so what's it there for?)
3. App list is a cluttered mess with the games mixed in.
4. System app tiles (hubs, etc.) don't change with the background photo, meaning the background photo idea's ruined because the solid tiles cut a bunch of the image out.
5. Can't open Bing from the lockscreen.

T1Cybernetic

Dec 14, 2013
Visit site
Seems my Lumia 1020 Battery life has improved :D Not a clue how but general use today and I am still at 50% which is usually well below by this time and most days needing a charge :D

JoFoUK

Apr 15, 2014
Visit site
Re: message hub now only a SMS app?

No Skype messenger integration anymore either. Which is very odd, this this is MS biggest bite at iMessage/FaceTime

laracroftonline

Apr 18, 2013
Visit site
i'm going for a downgrade tomorrow can't get used to the fact we need to install apps just to chat on facebook and using messenger on that floppy skype app.

mprice86

Dec 12, 2011
Visit site
Everything works perfectly for me on my 925, but my girlfriend's 620 is failing to play a sound when she plugs the phone in to charge it. Not a major issue, but a little strange none the less. Anyone else had this?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss