Who has updated their 1020 to 8.1?

masshuu

Apr 16, 2014
Visit site
I did and I love it a lot. The swipe keyboard is a breath of fresh air since I moved to WP a year ago I missed it a lot.
Notifications are fantastic to finally be here, the background images makes it look great. Having the extra rows of tiles I love. I like how the store now installs apps in the background and even auto-updates apps.

It definitely seems to run faster.
The new volume controls are great.

There's a bit of learning on the updated apps, but it keeps me busy.

I'm pissed that the ? has moved further away when holding down the . key.
I don't like how in notifications you can't swipe away a single notification, or am I missing something. But you can only swipe away a whole app's notifications.

There is probably more, but It's a great improvement that feels like windows phone is no longer a disappointment. I got my first Lumia as it was cheap 520, and the 1020 for the camera. Now WP can really be recommended.

Marlon Bu

Oct 18, 2013
Visit site
Can anyone please share if it is possible to download PDF from IE11 and use it for later usage, instead of opening the Adobe reader that don't even allow sharing to email? I really hope to see that this is now do-able. I don't want to share link on One drive via email. Thanks!
You can download now PDF-Files. But then they are not in the List of the PDF-Reader. And no, you can't send PDF-Files with E-Mail-Program.

EduLM1020

Feb 16, 2014
Visit site
In my case I notice it's more fluid and faster. For example when going to multitasking, and want to close an app/screen, it's quite faster than before.

The only issue I found, it's the "mute" function, on WP video you can notice the "vibration" mode mute everything, in my case this doesn't work, ony activates on switch off the vibration on the phone, anything else.

Also on the volume menu it doesn't appear on the right the "configuration" direct access as WP video.

matthoms

Aug 14, 2012
Visit site
My battery life had improved since the first day. I am currently at 84% after 7 hours of light use. This is better than before. I'm pleased with 8.1 overall. If you're battery is poor I'd suggest letting your phone for completely then charge it fully. It should improve after that. I did it two nights in a row and mine is better.

Nabiscuit

Sep 23, 2012
Visit site
Okay... 8.1 ruined my camera. All the photos are super hazy. Battery life is a lot worse than 8. But I've got a lot of background apps running. Still loving 8.1, but I need my camera fixed, pronto. Here's hoping the patch on the 22nd jolts it back.

Blacklac

Nov 10, 2011
Visit site
Okay... 8.1 ruined my camera. All the photos are super hazy. Battery life is a lot worse than 8. But I've got a lot of background apps running. Still loving 8.1, but I need my camera fixed, pronto. Here's hoping the patch on the 22nd jolts it back.

Have you done any troubleshooting? Cause this isn't normal. Firstly, wipe the lens? Haha. Reinstall the camera software?

mjb3367

Apr 18, 2014
Visit site
I have a 1020 on ATT, I saw the update go thru and it rebooted but it appears that I have no new features at all...any help would be great

nerdyniko

Apr 19, 2014
Visit site
I updated on Sunday and these are the issues I have with my 1020.
* I lose data connection frequently! It's annoying. Especially when I have full bars/LTE(4g).
* no live tile app notifications, they seemed to stop working. Messaging and email work fine.
* my phone has froze 3 times since the update. Had to do the hard reset.
* phone gets really hot.
*Cortana doesn't say my name! LOL
*app takes a long time to open and especially load. This is apparent in my instagram apps, in fact pictures don't even load, you have to keep refreshing. I've tried other IG apps and see no difference. All apps seem to be lagging in loading data.

That's about it for my experience.

Blacklac

Nov 10, 2011
Visit site
I updated on Sunday and these are the issues I have with my 1020.
* I lose data connection frequently! It's annoying. Especially when I have full bars/LTE(4g).
* no live tile app notifications, they seemed to stop working. Messaging and email work fine.
* my phone has froze 3 times since the update. Had to do the hard reset.
* phone gets really hot.
*Cortana doesn't say my name! LOL
*app takes a long time to open and especially load. This is apparent in my instagram apps, in fact pictures don't even load, you have to keep refreshing. I've tried other IG apps and see no difference. All apps seem to be lagging in loading data.

That's about it for my experience.

Sounds like a good candidate for a reset. ;)

Keep in mind, all Apps may not have been updated for 8.1 yet. But it sounds like you have legit issues beyond Apps not updated, as far as your App data issue.

TLRtheory

Nov 16, 2013
Visit site
Updated my 1020, it's been almost completely lovely.

...only problem's that it's become even more apparent how idiotic it was to release this phone without an SD card slot. This means my heavy filesize games, DNG images and music are still fighting for the same space when storage sense should've been the answer to all my problems... making me almost revert to my far-inferior Lumia 520 on many occasions.

Oh, and my battery life initially took a heavy hit. Strangely enough, it's been getting better regardless of the fact there's been no updates since.

EvoLuTioNHeaVy

Apr 1, 2013
Visit site
Cortana doesn't say my name. Weird because even though my name is not common it is well known. "Darwin". You asked me if it sounded right and I replied with "sounds good" but not once have you said it which is starting to bug me. Other than that my 1020 works fine... Every once in awhile Cortana will say "sorry that contact doesn't have a mobile number" when I'm asking questions like "how old are you?"

TLRtheory

Nov 16, 2013
Visit site
Check your background apps, and mail sync settings.
Oh my God! I know this post was directed at another, but thank you for this!!! I've been going this whole time thinking Cortana was killing my battery when it was the "based on usage" email sync setting.

Changed it to refresh all my accounts per every two hours and like freakin' magic, my battery drain went back to normal.

Been since 2pm yesterday since I juiced up, and we're just now getting to the 47% mark.

deansmilk

Feb 1, 2012
Visit site
I updated and really like it so far. There are a few things that I don't like. I wish the little status bar up top would auto hide again. I also miss the pictures hub having a back ground image. On the other hand I do like the pic hub lay out. Other then small things like that, the phone is great.

Zuka_WPC

Apr 21, 2014
Visit site
Updated mine. It's pretty great, no issues so far. I did a hard reset after the update just to be sure I had a clean slate before moving forward. Always best practice for me on any device I have when doing a major update, especially when it's not an official "stable" version.

matthoms

Aug 14, 2012
Visit site
I'm curious to how everyone's phones are keeping up with the update? My 1020 seems to still fluctuate from day to day with battery life and speed of the software. One day, I'll get 18 hours of battery no problem, then other days I'll get 10. Today my phone was very laggy and unresponsive at times. This has only happened once or twice.

Has anyone else had these problems or noticed these? Did you do a hard reset after the update? I didn't. Should I?

Let me know what you think. Thanks!!

Will6371

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site
I'm curious to how everyone's phones are keeping up with the update? My 1020 seems to still fluctuate from day to day with battery life and speed of the software. One day, I'll get 18 hours of battery no problem, then other days I'll get 10. Today my phone was very laggy and unresponsive at times. This has only happened once or twice.

Has anyone else had these problems or noticed these? Did you do a hard reset after the update? I didn't. Should I?

Let me know what you think. Thanks!!

No problems with my 1020 and yes I did reset it and no I didn't restore.

I would strongly advise doing the same, battery is 20-25% better on 8.1

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kuyhaa