Preview 8.1 Change List

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
List changes that you've found here.

1. Cortana - let's get that one out of the way immediately, and send all further comments about Cortana features to the Cortana Forum.
2. WiFi Sense - can now connect automatically to public wifi, share wifi security with others using wifi sense
3. Notification Center
4. Separate volume for apps/media and notifications/ringtones
5. Backgrounds for tiles
6. App Data now backs up to the cloud (makes me wonder if that will use up OneDrive storage for those who only have the standard 7GB)

Add things that you've found different below! :cool:

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
Social Notifications are no longer in the Me tile. They're in the notification center.
Here Drive+ doesn't work until you update the app (and unfortunately, I can't update the app because of the same store error everyone else is getting).
Same with Here Maps
IE menu items have been reordered.
IE Tabs offers you the ability to open tabs open on other devices (I haven't tested it yet)

ShreyansShah

Aug 12, 2013
Visit site
IE supports flash videos in the browser itself.
few apps not required anymore such as Battery monitor, quick shortcuts as the Notification Menu and Action Center is arrived.

imbasaurus

Sep 14, 2013
Visit site
I do not know if anyone noticed but there's this swipe down to close apps now a good alternative for closing apps instead of pressing the X

simzzdev

Aug 2, 2011
Visit site
Searching text message history, apps on SD cards, data/battery/storage sense apps. Also some new animations throughout the OS.

MerlotC

Sep 19, 2011
Visit site
Social Notifications are no longer in the Me tile. They're in the notification center.
Here Drive+ doesn't work until you update the app (and unfortunately, I can't update the app because of the same store error everyone else is getting).
Same with Here Maps
IE menu items have been reordered.
IE Tabs offers you the ability to open tabs open on other devices (I haven't tested it yet)

Both Here Drive and Maps work fine for me and did not require any updates. Im in Calif. btw.

sdreamer

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
Not trying to add more to the "seems faster" stuff, but I think the animations have definitely been sped up. I know one of the past complaints from reviewers was the amount of animations between interactions slowing down the experience. I just noticed how fast it flipped. Not sure if this was tweaked in WP8, but on my L900 compared to my L920, it is faster.

gohilurvish

Sep 6, 2013
Visit site
In my other post as well

To All.
Well, this is not final WP8.1. It is dev preview so many features will still be missing.

Now, Tips and Tricks.
I just saw a post on Allowing Apps to run in Background. Good.
But the real thing is "Menu" -> "Battery Saver" -> "usage" (tab on top) -> [Scroll to End] -> "show all apps" -> There will be many other apps which may have Background permission.

"Menu" -> "Store" -> "..." -> "My Apps" -> Shows all apps you downloaded (and may be removed now). You can re-install them from here.

HaibaneReki

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
  • Positioning the cursor while typing works differently
  • IE backs all the way down to the empty tab
  • messenger and fb chat gone from messaging, the messenger especially sucks, because in Rooms it still works but otherwise You can't ping a single user unless you install the annoying Skype
  • in calendar swiping doesn't change views, but goes to next day/week etc.
  • in calendar separate calendars for FB "attending" and "invited" (which also holds "maybe")
and many more already mentioned in WPCentral articles ;)

hyderaly

Dec 15, 2012
Visit site
Was surprised to see the choice between "save"and "open" when clicking on a PDF link. IE confirmed the file was saved in the downloads folder. Just don't know where to find the download folder though.

Ankit Nawlakha

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site
Anyone noticed this?
Apps like Calendar and Battery Saver Keeps on running in the background even if you press Back!
But this doesn't happen with Other in-Built apps like Messaging or E-mail!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb