Has anyone reset their 1520 after the WP 8.1 update?

JPDVM2014

Sep 11, 2011
Visit site
The issue I ran into with my 1520 this morning (and I've got that 128GB Sandisk in there...) was the upgrade seemed to go smoothly but any App that was accessing the SD-Card (Camera App, Photo App, Video App, Storage Sense App, etc... etc...) wouldn't launch at all when invoked. A simple power-down and power up wouldn't fix the problem, and the soft-reset resulted in the BSOD. After that I pulled the SD-Card, did a power-up-hard-reset and other than having a wiped phone, all seems to be well.

That the problem is related to the SD-Card is pure speculation on my part but historically this is not the first time that the combination of the two (MS Dev/Test O/S plus SD Card) has caused me grief as I had similar issues with the upgrade from 7.0 to 7.5 on a Samsung Focus and then again with an early version of Nokia Amber on a Lumia 822.

You'd think I would learn....

I'm up and running though, just plugged the card back in and have copied my Music library over. One thing I like about the new Music app is that you can now tell it to look at "just" the Music on the SD Card, xBox Music Cloud, or Both. Much happier about that. Album Art recognition seems to be better as well but it still missed a few when moving my music over.

Any chance the 128GB card is the issue?Doesn't the 1520 only officially support a 64GB? Also, I wish I would have researched into whether or not a 128GB card would have worked in my 1520 before I went and ordered a 64GB one yesterday. :smile:

NoRomBasic

Apr 5, 2012
Visit site
Any chance the 128GB card is the issue?Doesn't the 1520 only officially support a 64GB? Also, I wish I would have researched into whether or not a 128GB card would have worked in my 1520 before I went and ordered a 64GB one yesterday. :smile:

I don't think so and as time goes on I don't think the SD Card is the cause (or sole cause at least). I talked a 520 user (which had no SD Card either) through a stuck-in-BSOD situation last night and there are several postings about 1520 "weirdness" on the MS forum that seems to get resolved by a Hard Reset/Wipe.

FWIW, my Wife's 1020 upgraded just fine. The difference (if you could call it one) is that her phone is less "dirty" than my 1520. She tends to just install a few apps and games and doesn't play around with the settings like a, uh, hobbyist like myself tends to do.

air2liquid

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
I was playing Nokia Mix Radio offline (app on SD card) and then loaded up Beats Music (also on SD card), phone rebooted and asked me to scan and fix the SD card. After that it's been fine (that was this morning.) There may be some sensitiveness to the SD card transfer rate and such.

cadaov

Sep 30, 2012
Visit site
What's the difference between the factory reset found on settings and a hard reset?

After you did any, did your battery life improved?

NoRomBasic

Apr 5, 2012
Visit site
What's the difference between the factory reset found on settings and a hard reset?

After you did any, did your battery life improved?

Same thing. Both will wipe everything off the phone's internal memory and reinitialize a "clean O/S". With the factory reset in the settings menu it looks like there is now an option to wipe the SD Card as well. I don't think that is possible from the power-up-hard-reset, but I haven't tried either.

Certainly doing it from the Menu is easier than the super-secret-press-key-combination-on-power-up method but if you are stuck with a phone that won't boot at least that method is there.

Last edited:

HomeyJay

Mar 13, 2014
Visit site
Have any of you guys been able to play music from the sd card using Nokia Mix Radio?
I just can't get it to find all my music!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ailanamargarett