Having issues after updating to Windows Phone 8.1? Don't reboot...

Cormango

Jul 19, 2012
Visit site
I'm not sure if this trick is well known or not. When I first bought my Nokia Lumia 920 I was having all kinds of issues with live tiles and background tasks not updating or running. I could never figure it out. Since WP8GDR2 the issue no longer happens while my phone is running BUT the issue returns if I perform a soft reset...

After a few weeks I noticed that if I let the device battery completely drain and then charge it everything would start working again. I later confirmed that simply powering off the device (hold the power button, swipe to power off). And then powering it back on again would resolve the issue.

To this day I still have this problem. After applying the 8.1 update the phone rebooted a few times. Live tiles and background tasks stopped working. Rebooting, re-pinning, re-installing did not resolve the issue. However, once again, powering the device off and then back on again resolved the issue.

I have no idea what the difference is between rebooting and powering off. But for me, it resolves my problems with live tiles and background tasks.

I rarely have to reboot my device, but there is the odd time a bad app will freeze and I have no choice but to perform a soft reset (POWER + VOLUME DOWN). After the phone reboots, I have to power it off and then back on again for background tasks to operate again.

I've had two different Lumia 920's with the exact same issue. I also have a Lumia 625 that does NOT have this issue.

Just thought I'd mention it.

Leandro Souza

Apr 15, 2014
Visit site
I have samsung ativ s and after update 8.1 it is rebooting of one to one minutes.

All app are installed in internal memory, I don't use memory card.
I did many things, but nothing resolved my problem.

I wait that the Microsoft is looking to solve this, because I can't come back to GDR3 and need my phone for my job everyday.

seeme11

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Did you try resetting the phone to factory default? I have had problems after updating a lumia 920 to 8.1 and resetting the phone to factory default solved those problems.

WxGuesser

Apr 16, 2014
Visit site
After updating to Windows phone 8.1, my Nokia Lumia started having problems waking up. Several times a day, when raising the lock screen, a dashed line from left to right with the word "loading" in it does not go away and the top half of the phone is overheating. The only way around this is a soft reboot. I called AT&T and they sent me a replacement. The same problem continues with the replacement. I hope update one will fix this.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss