WP8.1 Tips & Tricks

matt8044

May 20, 2013
Visit site
Re: WP8.1: Tips and Tricks

Quote Originally Posted by abuhurairah13 View Post

The ability to turn ON Wi-Fi automatically..
1. Turn Off Wi-Fi.
2. You will see the new menu called "turn Wi-Fi back on"
3. Set your favorite place in default map (NOT Here map).
4. Select "near my favorite place" in the menu.
Tadaa.. You will have your Wi-Fi turn on automatically when you're near your home, office or any favorite places you choose.

I don`t have this setting on my 1020

Last edited:

The Skizzle

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site

Something I discovered on my HTC 8XT, and I'm assuming work similarly on other devices. With headsets and Bluetooth devices that have a function to use a voice dialer, you can use this option to bring up Cortana (Cortana replaces the voice dialer in Windows Phone 8.1.) For example, on the earbuds that came with the HTC 8XT, it has a button that you use to answer/hang-up calls and play/pause/skip tracks (similar to the ControlTalk feature on Beats headphones.) Press and hold and you have Cortana! You speak to her through the microphone on the headset, so you can use it while your phone is in your pocket. This works great with the voice commands for Xbox Music, which is adding playlist support in the next update. If Xbox Music becomes even more integrated Cortana, it will likely make the whole experience almost completely hands free!

colinkiama

Oct 13, 2013
Visit site

When playing a game you have to press the search button twice to launch Cortana/Bing. No more accidental button presses.

Paolo Cardelli

Jan 22, 2014
Visit site

L920: to bring back the older "Cobalt" color scheme and aspect:

Go to Settings -> Display -> Set the first bar to the extreme left (Cold), and the second bar to the extreme right (Vivid).

Enjoy your new calibrated display :)

Kol Frakusha

Apr 15, 2014
Visit site

If you are in a game when you press once the search button nothing happens. yay 😊
You should press the button twice to go to the search page.

matthoms

Aug 14, 2012
Visit site

The ability to turn ON Wi-Fi automatically..
1. Turn Off Wi-Fi.
2. You will see the new menu called "turn Wi-Fi back on"
3. Set your favorite place in default map (NOT Here map).
4. Select "near my favorite place" in the menu.
Tadaa.. You will have your Wi-Fi turn on automatically when you're near your home, office or any favorite places you choose.

* typing this using word flow keyboard.. So awesome!!
Does this automatically turn off your Wi-Fi when you're not around your favorite places?

ThePumisher

Jan 8, 2014
Visit site

Ok so wow, so now you can send your songs via Email. In the now playing section of Xbox music bring of the menu, and hit share. It'll send song info and a full .wma of the song you're listening to.

Can anyone confirm this? Doesn't work here (germany). If i bring up the menu i'll only get the ablity to put in into playlists or open the settings for the music app itself.

James8561

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site

When going to bing.com it just says launching bing and gimme a black tile. I'm inside US
ah you have to go into settings and change website preference from mobile to desktop.
even then it just gives me a static tile not one where the duckie is floating.

Guytronic

Ambassador Team Leader
Nov 4, 2013
Visit site

Just noticed today that when in the photos app if I tapped the gallery date I got this:
wp_ss_20140420_0004.png
Kind of nice for not having to scroll thru all the photos.

Muessig

Moderator Team Leader
Sep 30, 2012
Visit site

[tip]The thread has now been thoroughly cleaned of idle chit chat and the OP has been updated with a relevant list of the posted Tips and Tricks so far.[/tip]

honeyrapper

Feb 19, 2014
Visit site

While playing videos on YouTube, double tap on video to go to full screen and exit. No need to tap on a button.

anon(7900571)

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site

When in a call , to quickly go back to call history , swipe down from top (the same you do for notification centre ) and it will take you back to phone history.

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site

Choosing a completely black image for your start screen background will turn the live tiles white.

It's also an efficient way to separate categories. :grin:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss