WP8.1 Tips & Tricks

DAIMONDY

Jul 11, 2011
Visit site
Re: WP8.1: Tips and Tricks

Open Cortanas notebook and add things like places for example. Ask her to direct you to "name of place" and your satnav will open. Thought it was cool 😎

JLP

May 16, 2011
Visit site

Hey all...searched through some forums and I didn't see this mentioned much anywhere so I hope its not a repeat. Only thing I did see is that one person was wondering where this feature went because they thought it disappeared due to Cortana being enabled...well, I found the "Local Scout" feature, somewhat by accident.

Open the native Bing Maps, give it a sec to find your location, and the "scout" feature is available. Lower left "button" on the bottom banner.

herbertsnow

Banned
Dec 10, 2013
Visit site

I just discovered that hard resetting your phone without restoring the backup data works much better for problems with lag. I had done a hard reset before with the restored data and the lag was unbearable. Now the phone runs almost without any lag.

L Beezy

Oct 15, 2013
Visit site

Tip: In order for an app to show up in notifications+actions, the background tasks must be turned on and you must receive an alert from that app . From there, you can now have custom alert tones for apps that use action center (even the WPCentral app).

Will6371

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site

I just discovered that hard resetting your phone without restoring the backup data works much better for problems with lag. I had done a hard reset before with the restored data and the lag was unbearable. Now the phone runs almost without any lag.

I did a reset before and after I installed 8.1 and I started afresh without restoring from a backup. I have almost no problems and my battery is better now than before with 8.0

Al_2

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site

Noticed today if you have multiple notifications from the same app in the Action Centre, pressing the app name brings you to the main part of the app, rather than the individual notification. I found this useful with multiple email notifications...if you click the individual email there's no way to get back to your inbox without going back to the Start screen. Pressing 'Outlook' (or whatever your account's called) takes you to your inbox.

anon(8657436)

Mar 9, 2014
Visit site

Noticed today if you have multiple notifications from the same app in the Action Centre, pressing the app name brings you to the main part of the app, rather than the individual notification. I found this useful with multiple email notifications...if you click the individual email there's no way to get back to your inbox without going back to the Start screen. Pressing 'Outlook' (or whatever your account's called) takes you to your inbox.

Thanks a lot man! It was driving me crazy!!!

Christian Holmstedt

Aug 27, 2013
Visit site

Storing apps on the SD card is great but don't go overboard.
NOKIA Mix Radio feels laggy and slow when run from the SD card. Browsing locally stored music seems faster if the app is installed on the phone and not the SD card.

colinkiama

Oct 13, 2013
Visit site

Storing apps on the SD card is great but don't go overboard.
NOKIA Mix Radio feels laggy and slow when run from the SD card. Browsing locally stored music seems faster if the app is installed on the phone and not the SD card.
Not laggy for me at all, it's probably just your card.

mayconvert

Oct 4, 2013
Visit site

This whole thread could be 2 pages if you deleted the 85 duplicates from people too lazy to read what was already posted.

This tip is for people converting from Apple / iOS world to WP 8.1
WP will install me.com and iCloud.com emails (where iOS users store contacts, calendars etc.)
After you install the email address, go back into accounts, bring up menu and you will have an option to sync Contacts from the iCloud.
Easy contact import for switchers. Enjoy.

Tip 2: You can import Gmail contacts (if you are an android user) to outlook.com email, then it will sync all your android contacts automatically.

anon(8657436)

Mar 9, 2014
Visit site

This whole thread could be 2 pages if you deleted the 85 duplicates from people too lazy to read what was already posted.

This tip is for people converting from Apple / iOS world to WP 8.1
WP will install me.com and iCloud.com emails (where iOS users store contacts, calendars etc.)
After you install the email address, go back into accounts, bring up menu and you will have an option to sync Contacts from the iCloud.
Easy contact import for switchers. Enjoy.

Tip 2: You can import Gmail contacts (if you are an android user) to outlook.com email, then it will sync all your android contacts automatically.

Another guy on the forum wanted to know about this.
PS: Can you detail about how to add those e-mails cause I don't see them in emails + accounts.

voodoocars

Jan 21, 2013
Visit site

This is for UK (that's where I am) on a htc 8s.
If you tap search to open Bing then type Cortana settings in opens the Cortana settings in the phone which are otherwise not shown if it is not installed (like mine). The settings have a Cortana on/off toggle but it states "not available in this region" underneath it.

OberstDanjeje

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site

This is for UK (that's where I am) on a htc 8s.
If you tap search to open Bing then type Cortana settings in opens the Cortana settings in the phone which are otherwise not shown if it is not installed (like mine). The settings have a Cortana on/off toggle but it states "not available in this region" underneath it.

It work in italian phone too, I think it work the same for all the not US phone

anon(5340442)

Apr 20, 2012
Visit site

When checking a facebook notification from the action centre, if you tap the persons name/pic, it will take you to their profile in the facebook app. Didn't know that. I thought it was dumb that I couldn't navigate the app from there, but apparently you can.
If this is widely known, I don't know how how I missed it.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss