8.1 positivity thread

MikeSo

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
Re: Positives on WP8.1

pretty cool feature with multitasking....when you hold the left arrow down and you get the list of running apps, instead of having to touch the x at the top right corner of the app, you can just swipe it down and it closes the app. Sort of like you do on an Iphone.

You mean, sort of how you do in Windows 8. ;) I like that we have both the X and the swipe down now.

david90531

Aug 29, 2011
Visit site

Of course there are more good things than bad, I love the 3rd column of tiles, transparant wallpaper tiles, notification center (missing a few things though), CORTANA, better GMail, etc.

But I really wonder what's their reason for adding the games to the app list- -

Posted with WPCentral for Android on Asus Transformer Pad

david90531

Aug 29, 2011
Visit site

pretty cool feature with multitasking....when you hold the left arrow down and you get the list of running apps, instead of having to touch the x at the top right corner of the app, you can just swipe it down and it closes the app. Sort of like you do on an Iphone.

of which iPhone copied our multitasking view in the first place

MikeSo

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site

Of course there are more good things than bad, I love the 3rd column of tiles, transparant wallpaper tiles, notification center (missing a few things though), CORTANA, better GMail, etc.

Seriously, keep the complaints out of this thread, shall we. There are plenty of threads here for that. :)

meddyrainzo

Apr 20, 2012
Visit site

IE11 finally having a "navigate forward" function! It only took a couple of years. ;)
The option to have 6 columns of tiles.
The new more accurate text selection tool.
The quick settings toggles.
VPN
Separate volume controls
The swipe keyboard - I now understand everyone who has an Android phone why they were reluctant to give it up just based on that one feature (when iOS 8 is announced in a couple of months they will surely have it too and it will probably be magical and everyone will then act as if it always existed on iOS). The WP8.1 keyboard is overall an amazing feat.

Really, so many things! It was quicker and simpler to list the things I didn't like, for sure. Which is great. :)

Haha, so true(your last statement). I can't even list anything I dislike.
So far, the music app has been working perfectly for me

meddyrainzo

Apr 20, 2012
Visit site

Like MikeSo said, this is for the positives. Regardless, adding games to the app list doesn't make the OS experience any "worse" does it. I helps newbies that are completely clueless about WP to get used to the OS faster by not having to search for the games hub and then search for the game they want to play (this is what I think their reason behind it is)

DreadVenom

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site

Swype, notification centre, CORTANA, start screen backgrounds, WiFi sense, battery sense and absolutely love storage sense. For me though I'm really liking embedded vids in the new internet explorer, the change has taken the weave app to another level. Cant wait for wpcentral to follow. Also love the new start up screen, the wp8 one was very bright and blue. This new one puts it in line with Windows desktop.

Zacharyw70

Sep 3, 2013
Visit site

I like everything that I've played with so far, the only exception being the Music App which sucks bad. Using Nokia Music as a workaround but I hope Microsoft updates it soon.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site

Nice find! I didn't know this, but I like this feature.

anon(5445874)

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site
+920 working great. Had issues with the store and xbox music at first. During the first few hours, xbox music refused to show any music on my device. But now it all works fine. I'm loving the more tiles thing! I also love how you can use cortana to search text messages.

meddyrainzo

Apr 20, 2012
Visit site

I just facepalmed! Can't believe I missed that. Thanks a lot!
This update is getting critically praised by almost every site out there. Finally, WP is beginning to get people's attention in a very positive way

ajb1965

Feb 15, 2014
Visit site

I am very pleased with the update. Sadly, I expected pages and pages of negative posts today so thank you for starting this one!

I really like Cortana, I see myself using her a lot. Notification center is pretty cool, and I like the updates to the calendar.

meddyrainzo

Apr 20, 2012
Visit site

It's a background picture not an accent.
Go to Settings>Start+theme>Choose Background>Backgrounds>And it should be the 2nd option.

Yeah, I already know how to do that. My question here is that in this picture, HERE apps also have the background color. On my phone, the here apps are just purple. They aren't skinned along with the tiles

Kram Sacul

Mar 4, 2013
Visit site

In the Windows Store you can now see that you have an app INSTALLED.

I've been so busy thinking about the things that have been broken or changed for the worse that this escaped me. Also auto-updating apps! No more doing the 8/1/2011 trick to get updates to show on the store tile.

BenTR

Feb 14, 2013
Visit site
There is a lot to be positive about in the update. One thing I did not expect is that I finally have Data Sense. ATT disabled it in whichever GDR update, but now, thanks to the magic of developer preview, it is back.

Read View is nice in IE11. Surprisingly fast, too. I was on the ugly-on-the-phone WPCentral site, hit the read view icon and instantly had a beautiful article.

Swipe to go back in IE11 is a feature I am happy they transferred from Windows 8.

Also happy I can put the cursor in the middle of a word with one touch. Cursor control is much easier.

Inline video.

I like the update.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss