Moving Apps and Data to SD Card

Randorf001

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
I've completed my upgrade to Windows 8.1 on my two week old 1520. Everything went fine, although it had to do a small update to Windows Phone 8.0 before it did the Windows Phone 8.1 Upgrade. But nothing difficult in that process.

I've also moved all of my apps to the SD card and with only the OS on the phone storage only 3.3 GB is used. That's pretty good, I think, all things considered since all apps and app data will go to the SD card unless blocked by the publisher. No lag that I can perceive in loading apps or getting data from them when running from SD.

The one thing I haven't figured out yet is moving map data to the SD card even though my settings say to put all downloaded files on the SD card. I do know about Storage Check Beta but was hoping to do it without the pre-release software. There is an update for HERE Maps available and I will install and test that. If anyone knows anything different, I'd be glad to hear about it.

webguy05

Dec 15, 2011
Visit site
The one thing I haven't figured out yet is moving map data to the SD card even though my settings say to put all downloaded files on the SD card. I do know about Storage Check Beta but was hoping to do it without the pre-release software. There is an update for HERE Maps available and I will install and test that. If anyone knows anything different, I'd be glad to hear about it.

I'm not 100% sure, but I believe that if you delete the map data you currently have installed on the phone and re-download it, you have the option to store it on the sd card then.

typaulo

Jan 25, 2014
Visit site
How do you move the apps? I cant find that option and Im dying to use it so I can install Asphalt 8 :3

edit: nvm, found the option

Zacharyw70

Sep 3, 2013
Visit site
In case anyone is wondering for future reference. The option is located in Settings>System>Storage Sense>Switch the various options to "Save on SD Card".

hemanlive

Apr 17, 2013
Visit site
Hey Guys: I am aware of Lumia Storage check and have manually changed the setting to store offline maps on the sd card. Following that I deleted the maps from my device and downloaded new ones. Still my phone memory shows ~850MB for Maps. The card memory also shows the same size of maps on my card. I went into HERE maps and tried to delete the maps on my phone memory. However, I could not locate separate Maps file there. I could only see one offline Map. Deleting it deletes the offline Map.
Please guide me on how to store the offline maps ONLY on the card and not on phone memory.

Randorf001

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
I still have not been able to put maps on the SD card without Storage Check Beta. Not that I'm totally opposed to it, but still trying to figure out if it can be done with "stock" Windows Phone 8.1. HAs anyone else done any further testing of this? Saving 3-4 GB of data space on a 16GB phone device would be a huge advantage. I'm not sure if this is a Windows Phone issue or with Here Maps preventing storage to the SD card. I'm beginning to think that wherever the maps are stored on the phone, it's hard coded in the app and more updates may be needed.

randy_c

Apr 15, 2014
Visit site
Hey Guys: I am aware of Lumia Storage check and have manually changed the setting to store offline maps on the sd card. Following that I deleted the maps from my device and downloaded new ones. Still my phone memory shows ~850MB for Maps. The card memory also shows the same size of maps on my card. I went into HERE maps and tried to delete the maps on my phone memory. However, I could not locate separate Maps file there. I could only see one offline Map. Deleting it deletes the offline Map.
Please guide me on how to store the offline maps ONLY on the card and not on phone memory.

Can you tell us how you move map to SD card? Setting>storage sense to all SD card and I deleted the map and re-download but still appear on the phone and NOT SD card

randy_c

Apr 15, 2014
Visit site
Just don't get why I still get it download to the phone. I just download "Lumia storage check beta" so I can move maps to SD card. :(

hemanlive

Apr 17, 2013
Visit site
Same is the case with me Randy. I have tried it multiple times. It shows me that new maps will be stored on the SD card, but everytime I download the map it gets stored on the phone only.
I saw in a 625 of a friend that he got an option of something like 'storage apps' in the App Store. I never got that on my phone. Does anyone has any idea on how to do it? I am seriously struggling with internal storage and any help would be welcome

hemanlive

Apr 17, 2013
Visit site
I was able to do it finally. here is what I did (I am pasting my reply from another forum here):

Go to Lumia Storage Check. It will show you option of maps. Once you tap it, it will show you that you have (in case of US) 3.65 gigs of maps in phone and same amount on the sd card. Change the settings to store maps on phone (NO it is not a typo. Change the storage to phone and NOT the SD card) Now delete the maps. This way the map on the phone will get deleted. It may also get deleted from SD card. But NOW change the setting to store maps on sd card.
Next step: uninstall Here Maps (if it was NOT installed via the SD card). Save the .xap file of HERE Maps on the sd card. In my case I had to save the XAP on a PC and then move it to the SD card.
Next Step: restart the phone. go to Store and you should see an option of 'SD Card' in there. Install the app from the SD card.
Now download the maps again (just ensure that default location for maps is now SD card). the maps will be stored on the SD card only and your phone memory will be free

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
priya8923