(UPDATED) Condensed List to Fix and Better Windows Phone 8.1 (Feel Free Post and I will Add More)

EricMarsi

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
I put together a list of other users and my Personal Problems with WP8.1 so far. Please Microsoft Read this post because a lot of die hard WP Fans don't like some of your changes. Please if anyone doesn't agree with anything below, post about it, also if you want more to be added, post about it. Thanks

People/Me
? Bring back the original Facebook integration, but add an option to tag people in posts and upload photos
? Contacts don?t sync anymore with fb so no more photos (ugly)
? Bring back the quick access to your albums on one drive w/o the app
? NOTE: (I can see why they added this because some people don?t store photos all In one folder, but at least add the option)
Photo hub
? Give users an option of what they want to see first (list or folders)
? Auto Upload screenshots and re add the option to manually do so
? Let users have a wallpaper if they desire
? way to quickly get to one drive folders and upload to them
? Bring back the ability to upload selected (one or many) pictures or videos to OneDrive from pictues hub
Music Hub
? Just PLEASE get rid of this crap and update the other one to have synced radios and playlists
? Add in a history section with resizable tiles
? Let now playing have its own screen like on wp8 where you can swipe left to right and the buttons are on top
? Don?t show me a add page , but make it so that if I want the music store I have ONE button
? Add a link to the video hub in the app
? Add a Quick Pin Feature to Pin your favorite songs or albums to the app, but below that make a list of apps that can be used for music such as last.fm or pandora
? Get Rid of the 5 second loading screen because if I?m in some other app and I hit the music I?m listening to in quick settings, I have to wait for the app to load, not instant like on wp8
? In one sentence TRASH THIS APP or I am going to dump Xbox music because this is NOT a $100/yr. service, maybe a 5 dollar service because of how crappy it is now
? I do however like that there is not a separate page for downloading a song
? Bring back the live tile that was in wp8, not some cheezy crappy one
? Delete songs from just the phone, you have to delete from phone and Cloud Collection
? Add a quick setting for FM radio
Video Hub
? Where in the world is my local videos
? Looks great, but add a link to the music hub in the app
Notification Center
? Add an option for a flashlight
? Make the wifi button an on/off or give people the preference
? Allow me to delete emails from notification center
? Add a cellular data button
? Add NFC on/off Button
Games Hub
? Make games only show up here or only the app list (give us the choice)
? Make it faster like on wp8, too slow here
? Bring back the live tile with my avatar
? Setting to allow us to stop or enable auto update
Calendar
? Add in the agenda page
? Re-add Facebook integration
? Tile doesn?t show more than one appointment
Cortana
? Add more responses as it is very limited on what she responds to
? Add an option to email people
? Re-add the option for scanning QR codes without having to go to lenses like to the top right hand corner
? Have Cortana Read Out the Results that She Finds
? Need to Have Offline Commands
? Option for having the Bing Wallpaper or black Screen
Battery sense
? Add a live tile with current percentage
? Notification when battery is low
Lockscreen
? Ability to have Quiet Hours Notifications for when someone tried to break through
Additional items
? Cannot share a photo anymore to twitter fb etc.
? Add in a dedicated file manager
? Add in Bing Rewards Like on Android
? Add a Remote Desktop app like on Android
? Add a notification to the notification center when you are approaching your data limit
? Bring back "share to social" at the same time to Facebook Twitter and LinkedIn..
? Swipe Left on a Tile to Clear its Notification (Such as Skype)
? Interactive Notifications Such as Messaging
? Fix the Battery Drain Issue
Notes
? If Microsoft WANTS to open integration with developers let them, but don?t destroy what you already had
? Bing news Microsoft account login not working
? Data sense limit on my 928 not working
? NOTE TO ALL: The Preview for developers is the FINAL RTM of wp81 and these problems will be released to the public in the summer and cannot be fixed till the next update. Cortana ONLY Says beta because it isn?t released worldwide, but she is finished for now in the US.
?

Last edited:

iosub

Dec 27, 2012
Visit site
Re: Condensed List to Fix and Better Windows Phone 8.1 (Feel Free Post and I will Add More)

Brick back the ability to upload selected (one r many) pictures or video to OneDrive from picture hub

iosub

Dec 27, 2012
Visit site
Re: Condensed List to Fix and Better Windows Phone 8.1 (Feel Free Post and I will Add More)

Brick back "share to social" at the same time to Facebook Twitter and LinkedIn..

Jonathan Cable

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site

I still have Facebook in my People Hub on my 8XT, just not in messages. My photos are showing up fine with the linked accounts. I can also still share a photo to Facebook. My calendar still shows Facebook items.

EricMarsi

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site

I still have Facebook in my People Hub on my 8XT, just not in messages. My photos are showing up fine with the linked accounts. I can also still share a photo to Facebook. My calendar still shows Facebook items.
Yes you do, but there is not the pictures folder functionality. also photos do show up, but only when you click on the user and wait 15 seconds.

CJ Thunder

Feb 16, 2011
Visit site

When clicking on your phone book from the phone tile you can only call people, you can't long press to edit, delete, etc.

XBOX MUSIC you can't delete songs from just the phone, you have to delete from phone and Cloud Collection. WTF!!!

Action center can't toggle NFC as a quick action.

dbooth2

May 8, 2008
Visit site

When you ask Cortana to translate something and she finds a good match, she should read out the answer.

svenhassel

Apr 8, 2013
Visit site

Calendar: give option to show to-dos like on Wp 8. Pin to-dos to start screen, as an app, and individually.

EricMarsi

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site

Calendar: give option to show to-dos like on Wp 8. Pin to-dos to start screen, as an app, and individually.

I Believe that todos was dumped because Cortana gives reminders

svenhassel

Apr 8, 2013
Visit site

I Believe that todos was dumped because Cortana gives reminders

I don't like using Cortana, as there are many situations in which I feel as an ***** talking to my phone.

Also, my to-dos are synced with exchange to outlook, and are vital to my workflow.

They seem to be ver different things IMHO.

I would only use a Cortana reminder like "pick the milk if near supermarket", that doesn't need to be on a list that I have to check constantly to see what I have to do next.

mikeycl

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
I put together a list of other users and my Personal Problems with WP8.1 so far. Please Microsoft Read this post because a lot of die hard WP Fans don't like some of your changes. Please if anyone doesn't agree with anything below, post about it, also if you want more to be added, post about it. Thanks

People/Me
• Bring back the original Facebook integration, but add an option to tag people in posts and upload photos
• Contacts don’t sync anymore with fb so no more photos (ugly)
• Bring back the quick access to your albums on one drive w/o the app
• NOTE: (I can see why they added this because some people don’t store photos all In one folder, but at least add the option)
Photo hub
• Give users an option of what they want to see first (list or folders)
• Auto Upload screenshots and re add the option to manually do so
• Let users have a wallpaper if they desire
• way to quickly get to one drive folders and upload to them
• Bring back the ability to upload selected (one or many) pictures or videos to OneDrive from pictues hub
Music Hub
• Just PLEASE get rid of this crap and update the other one to have synced radios and playlists
• Add in a history section with resizable tiles
• Let now playing have its own screen like on wp8 where you can swipe left to right and the buttons are on top
• Don’t show me a add page , but make it so that if I want the music store I have ONE button
• Add a link to the video hub in the app
• Add a Quick Pin Feature to Pin your favorite songs or albums to the app, but below that make a list of apps that can be used for music such as last.fm or pandora
• Get Rid of the 5 second loading screen because if I’m in some other app and I hit the music I’m listening to in quick settings, I have to wait for the app to load, not instant like on wp8
• In one sentence TRASH THIS APP or I am going to dump Xbox music because this is NOT a $100/yr. service, maybe a 5 dollar service because of how crappy it is now
• I do however like that there is not a separate page for downloading a song
• Bring back the live tile that was in wp8, not some cheezy crappy one
• Delete songs from just the phone, you have to delete from phone and Cloud Collection
• Add a quick setting for FM radio
Video Hub
• Where in the world is my local videos
• Looks great, but add a link to the music hub in the app
Notification Center
• Add an option for a flashlight
• Make the wifi button an on/off or give people the preference
• Allow me to delete emails from notification center
• Add a cellular data button
• Add NFC on/off Button
Games Hub
• Make games only show up here or only the app list (give us the choice)
• Make it faster like on wp8, too slow here
• Bring back the live tile with my avatar
• Setting to allow us to stop or enable auto update
Calendar
• Add in the agenda page
• Re-add Facebook integration
• Tile doesn’t show more than one appointment
Cortana
• Add more responses as it is very limited on what she responds to
• Add an option to email people
• Re-add the option for scanning QR codes without having to go to lenses like to the top right hand corner
• Have Cortana Read Out the Results that She Finds
• Need to Have Offline Commands
• Option for having the Bing Wallpaper or black Screen
Battery sense
• Add a live tile with current percentage
• Notification when battery is low
Lockscreen
• Ability to have Quiet Hours Notifications for when someone tried to break through
Additional items
• Cannot share a photo anymore to twitter fb etc.
• Add in a dedicated file manager
• Add in Bing Rewards Like on Android
• Add a Remote Desktop app like on Android
• Add a notification to the notification center when you are approaching your data limit
• Bring back "share to social" at the same time to Facebook Twitter and LinkedIn..
• Swipe Left on a Tile to Clear its Notification (Such as Skype)
• Interactive Notifications Such as Messaging
• Fix the Battery Drain Issue
Notes
• If Microsoft WANTS to open integration with developers let them, but don’t destroy what you already had
• Bing news Microsoft account login not working
• Data sense limit on my 928 not working
• NOTE TO ALL: The Preview for developers is the FINAL RTM of wp81 and these problems will be released to the public in the summer and cannot be fixed till the next update. Cortana ONLY Says beta because it isn’t released worldwide, but she is finished for now in the US.

It's great to have a nice concise list like this. while there are some points i agree on and others i am dubious about or think aren't necessary. Your last point annoys me.

This isn't the final RTM. Granted the features in place are frozen and won't necessarily be changed (which is where lists like yours come into play) but there will be fixes issued before the general public sees this both to the core OS and apps. Cortana i will agree is a Beta but not for the reasons you have stated and she certainly isn't finished in the US either.

Could you possibly remove it as that is misleading and isn't correct?

Im_Q

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site
Here are my comments on what you listed. Please note that I've only listed things that I have comments on. Also understand that I'm a dev since WP7 and I've spent much more time than I'd like to getting to know the nitty-gritty of this OS.

People/Me
• Bring back the original Facebook integration, but add an option to tag people in posts and upload photos
Unless Microsoft acquires Facebook or Facebook acquires Microsoft, this is a nightmare to maintain from both a business and technical standpoint. Some of the biggest complaints were due to FB integration (messaging and lack of features in the people hub) and that Microsoft had to maintain it.​

They do but I don't know if the frequency in which they update the pictures are the same as before. A couple of people I had to go relink their account since they names didn't quite match up properly but that's nothing new from the days of WP7/8. The facebook app does need to be opened once to set up the integration and set up of user data though. If it doesn't work for you, you might have a different issue.​

Not sure what you mean by this. If you can elaborate, that'd be helpful but I only needed to open up the OneDrive app once to sign in and for it to set up the integrated albums. Once there, the albums appear as if they're native albums in the Photos app. If you really want quick access, pin the albums to start.​

Photo hub
Reasonable request, but a workaround today is just upload it with through the OneDrive app.​

Another fair request, but with the grid of images in the new layout, a background image would be potentially too busy (same argument as background image behind live tiles).​

• Bring back the ability to upload selected (one or many) pictures or videos to OneDrive from pictues hub
A OneDrive app update using the new share contract api (like FB and Twitter Beta) might allow this but we'll see.​

Music Hub
I'm going to only comment on this section as a whole. I have a feeling that they're eventually going to share the Windows 8.1 app code with new views to work with phone form factors. At least that's what I'm hoping. I wouldn't be surprised that it's going to perform and function a lot like the Windows 8.1 version and for me, that's a fantastic thing.​

Video Hub
I don't particularly agree with the idea of linking apps but I don't have a real argument against it. I just don't see a real use case for it.​

Notification Center
I like the cleanliness of how the notification center works today, but if you can accomplish this by just tap the email in the notification center and then tapping delete. I know there's an extra step but it works for now and it's not that bad.​

Calendar
It's there in a new fashion.​

Cortana
The service is still a beta. Server side responses are expected to improve.​

She does have offline commands but they're more limited (similar to how TellMe was). The accuracy of her natural voice recognition is server-based though so until they figure out a way to handle that kind of processing or make it more efficient, don't hold your breath for this. Google has done it but they've worked on that for android a bit longer.​

Battery sense
Why? From anywhere, just pull down the Action Center. The live tile doesn't even update in real time, it's only updated periodically with a background task.​

My phone yells at me when my battery is low... It even makes a chirp like sound. Yes, it only does it when it's critically low because you NEED to know about it and plug it in. When it's only a little low, it's not smart to wake up your phone and play a sound and drain the battery more when it doesn't need to.​

Lockscreen
• Ability to have Quiet Hours Notifications for when someone tried to break through
This should be under notifications. And if you mean silent notifications, then yes. Otherwise, it'd defeat the purpose of quiet hours.​

Additional items
Yes you can. I did it the first day of getting 8.1 to show off Cortana on Facebook. Someone with Twitter Beta will have to check if that version supports the share contract.​

Most users shouldn't have to deal with this and probably wouldn't want to deal with this. The general philosophy behind this seems to be make it optional for power users. This is the way to go so that people who need/want it can get it and people who don't care won't accidently screw things up by messing around with one out of curiosity. You can download two good ones from the store today.​

There's one in the store by Microsoft.​

• Add a notification to the notification center when you are approaching your data limit
Pretty sure data sense does this already. Just set up the limit and reset day correctly.​

• Bring back "share to social" at the same time to Facebook Twitter and LinkedIn.
Not gonna happen in this release due to technical limitation of the app model and share contracts. One can write an app that does multiple social network updates that hooks into the social share api but then it's up to that dev to do the maintenance. This is what Microsoft is trying to get away from.​

This is up to the dev on how to handle the badge and count. With new 8.1 apps, the preferred way is when you clear the notification in the notification center, it also clears the number. This is how messaging and mail does it. But to prevent limiting the devs causing weird issues, it's totally up to them to implement that. One such issue that can arise is that some tiles do not use the Iconic template (email/Skype) or the normal badge count (facebook/twitter). They render the count and information on an image. For these, the OS is never aware of those values so it can never clear it.​

Notes
Your notes seem like they're app/user specific issues. Try to provide feed back within the app or support email.​

• NOTE TO ALL: The Preview for developers is the FINAL RTM of wp81 and these problems will be released to the public in the summer and cannot be fixed till the next update. Cortana ONLY Says beta because it isn’t released worldwide, but she is finished for now in the US.
Cortana is not finished in the US. You don't call a product beta because of its availability. It's called a beta because it's a server side service that requires training and a lot of contextual learning. It's only in the US because they need more time to get more languages and accents working correctly. Also, a phased rollout is always safer.​

Last edited:

vormison

Nov 28, 2012
Visit site
It doesn't sound like much and sorry if it's been mentioned. However, I wish they'd bring back the option to uninstall games from within the Games hub.

wuiyang

Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
People/Me
• Bring back the original Facebook integration, but add an option to tag people in posts and upload photo
DOWNLOAD THE FACEBOOK APPS (not beta) and link to phone...
see above
they use app because it store all memory to app now, so it wont save to phone memory (if setting is set to SD card)
Photo hub
• Give users an option of what they want to see first (list or folders)
you mean timeline and folders?
???
• way to quickly get to one drive folders and upload to them
Music Hub
• Just PLEASE get rid of this crap and update the other one to have synced radios and playlists
they use update on store so you dont need to update your OS everyday
• Add in a history section with resizable tiles
• Let now playing have its own screen like on wp8 where you can swipe left to right and the buttons are on top
??
• Don’t show me a add page , but make it so that if I want the music store I have ONE button
??
• Add a link to the video hub in the app
they are separated because they are different things
• Add a Quick Pin Feature to Pin your favorite songs or albums to the app, but below that make a list of apps that can be used for music such as last.fm or pandora
• Get Rid of the 5 second loading screen because if I’m in some other app and I hit the music I’m listening to in quick settings, I have to wait for the app to load, not instant like on wp8
• In one sentence TRASH THIS APP or I am going to dump Xbox music because this is NOT a $100/yr. service, maybe a 5 dollar service because of how crappy it is now
wp8.1 are still in dev preview!
• I do however like that there is not a separate page for downloading a song
• Bring back the live tile that was in wp8, not some cheezy crappy one
• Delete songs from just the phone, you have to delete from phone and Cloud Collection
• Add a quick setting for FM radio
Video Hub
• Where in the world is my local videos
at your photo hubs...
above..
Notification Center
• Add an option for a flashlight
*slide down* *accidentally tap flashlight option* *other people think im taking a picture* *get punched*
• Make the wifi button an on/off or give people the preference
*want to change wifi* *slide down > all settings > wifi > select*
*someone using my phone* *slide down* *press delete* *all mail has been deleted*
• Add a cellular data button
• Add NFC on/off Button
*hacker stole my phone* *slide down* *open NFC* *use NFC to do trade* *success*
Games Hub
• Make games only show up here or only the app list (give us the choice)
• Make it faster like on wp8, too slow here
• Bring back the live tile with my avatar
• Setting to allow us to stop or enable auto update
go to store >settings
Calendar
• Add in the agenda page
Download facebook apps (not beta), link to phone...
• Tile doesn’t show more than one appointment
Cortana
this is why she is on beta
• Add an option to email people
this is why she is on beta
• Re-add the option for scanning QR codes without having to go to lenses like to the top right hand corner
go to camera, change lense > bing
• Have Cortana Read Out the Results that She Finds
searching XXXXXXXXX, i have found some results you may like *awkward*
more like without location
• Option for having the Bing Wallpaper or black Screen
Battery sense
more battery usage
it does, but it is using message box
Lockscreen
DEV PREVIEW MAN
Additional items
DOWNLOAD APPS
• Add in Bing Rewards Like on Android
WHAT?
WHAT?
it will show something on the top of the screen when it does
• Bring back "share to social" at the same time to Facebook Twitter and LinkedIn..
• Interactive Notifications Such as Messaging
windows phone 8.2
• Fix the Battery Drain Issue
DEV PREVIEW MAN
Notes
• If Microsoft WANTS to open integration with developers let them, but don’t destroy what you already had
they dont want to store things to phone storage, due to the settings, no, they cant change to save at SD cards, it will be able to read it
• Bing news Microsoft account login not working
soft reset/hard reset
• Data sense limit on my 928 not working
soft reset/hard reset
• NOTE TO ALL: blablablalbalbalabalabal NOTE TO YOU: god, they wont publish if there is common bug, they will fix it and publish to dev view first, when all common bugs fixed, they will publish to public!@#$%^&*(

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
EyeTea