04-29-2015 12:25 AM
112 1234 ...
tools
    Please turn off all the background tasks.
    Battery saver shows that no app is consuming battery a lot in the ackground, so no need to disable them and doesnt make sense to disable them all. also I don't have many apps running in the background.
    04-15-2014 05:44 AM
    Turned off most of my apps that are running in the background. My largest battery consumer is whatsapp then cortana phone gets really hot when using cortana
    04-15-2014 09:56 PM
    I had my battery drained from 90% to 30% in half an hour today. I thought it was odd so I restarted my phone and my battery went back up to 85%.
    I'm thinking Battery Sense is buggy or it's not calibrate properly with my phone L925. Maybe Nokia update is needed for it to work properly?
    eepyaich and Curtieson like this.
    04-15-2014 10:30 PM
    Turning off Wifi Sence helped for me.. With wifi sence on, it constanly is looking for free hotspots.. its also the wifi attena that is running hot i think..
    04-15-2014 10:34 PM
    After install on my Lumia 1520 the battery drains rapidly and the phone gets hot even when it's locked. The battery saver tells IE is in top and the drain is NOT in suspended mode. That doesn't say anything because IE is the app I use 98% of the active time, so of course it is in top. Is there a way to see what app/process that is using current CPU like task manager in windows?
    04-16-2014 03:09 AM
    do any of your camera apps work? is the phone hot around the camera lens?

i discovered that my camera apps (default and nokia cam) weren't working and the back of the phone was really hot around the camera. the battery would last 2-3 hours at most and the phone was always consistently hot even though i wasn't using it.

I eventually had to give up on wp8.1 and go back to wp8.

this solved my problems with the battery/heat and camera issues
    04-16-2014 03:28 AM
    Have you tried to do a soft reset? worked for me. L820. idle 1% in 5 hours , checking email and morning routine another 1/2%. yesterday only with unlock 2-4% gone and the phone was hotter then normally...
    04-16-2014 03:43 AM
    do any of your camera apps work? is the phone hot around the camera lens?

i discovered that my camera apps (default and nokia cam) weren't working and the back of the phone was really hot around the camera. the battery would last 2-3 hours at most and the phone was always consistently hot even though i wasn't using it.

I eventually had to give up on wp8.1 and go back to wp8.

this solved my problems with the battery/heat and camera issues
    Yeah, mine also gets hot around the camera, but both the built in and Nokia camera app seems to work OK on my 1520.
    04-16-2014 03:50 AM
    Im using NL720. Had the same battery drain issue.
    On WP8, my daily usage was 2-3% with WiFi/Location on all the time. Now it was rocketing around 10% under same usage settings.
    I tried all by turning every relevant app off in battery saver. But nothing stopped the drain.
    At last, when I turned the Battery Saver itself off, everything went back to the way it was with WP8
    WP8.1 rules the day now!!
    04-16-2014 07:53 AM
    At last, when I turned the Battery Saver itself off, everything went back to the way it was with WP8
    Me too. I wrote it in another topic, also. *Disabling Battery Saver just stop any unusual battery draining*.
    04-16-2014 08:23 AM
    Yeah, I noticed battery drain on my 1520 as well. Ironically, the first app showing the battery drain is the battery saver app itself!
    On my Battery Saver app WhatsApp tops that list!
    04-16-2014 08:27 AM
    The battery saver app showed estimated time remaining as 10 hours! Even after full charge! WTF!? Earlier it was 17 to 18 hours! DAMN!
    04-16-2014 08:29 AM
    At first my l620 battery drained very quickly
    I did a reset and battery life improved drastically .
    04-16-2014 08:35 AM
    My battery life is gradually improving. Now that Cortana knows me better than she did before, all app data is transferred and apps are installed, my phone is starting to relax a little, in a good way.
    04-16-2014 10:43 AM
    Huge battery drain over here too on my 1520. For the first time since I've owned the phone, it died halfway through my workday yesterday. I've never, ever had the phone die the same day, let alone at 2pm in the afternoon. Granted, I play with it a bit more now with the 8.1 preview installed, but not so much screen time that it would make a big difference.

Biggest offenders for me in the battery saver app were Internet Explorer, Facebook, WeChat and Cortana. None of which I will be willing to disable! Oh well, hoping things improve.

Today, I'm going to try killing off LTE and staying on 3G (since I'm usually on WiFi anyhow). We'll see if that helps at all. That's something I could actually live with. But disabling Cortana?! No way! She's been telling me jokes all morning :-)

-Collin-
    04-16-2014 10:57 AM
    I have Lumia 1520 and the battery is draining very fast in few hours (3-6)
    Is there a way to switch back to WM 8 for now until they can fix this major problem
    Or should I use my old phone and forget about it.
    04-16-2014 01:55 PM
    I have a 920 and this morning a couple hours after unplugging my phone it said I had just 11% battery left and was running battery saver. I shut the phone off and restarted about an hour later and had 95% battery life. Clearly the earlier reading was off. Then this afternoon I used the phone with screen on for a good 30 minutes and it shows a 100% full battery, which can't be true. This suggests to me that 8.1 or battery sense are somehow having difficulty reading battery charge levels. Is this maybe something that others are experiencing, i.e., false readings rather than rapid battery drains?
    04-16-2014 02:04 PM
    On my 1520/RM-938, I initially had "so hot I could barely touch it" drain. So, I disabled all but the bare minimum background tasks and rebooted. Since then, it's been running fine; maybe a little higher battery drain than before, but nothing to write home about.

On my 1520/RM-940, I just let the stupid thing cook itself on the charger overnight. It ran all day yesterday and so far today cool to the touch with about the same discharge rate as the RM-938.

I was thinking that maybe it's just Cortana growing pains or something.

I did notice in GDR2, on my Lumia 925, that often, Visual Voice Mail would drain the battery in about an hour (with expected overheating behavior), so I've been in the habit of leaving VVM turned off ever since. I don't know if it's still an issue, but frankly, I don't want to find out. No one ever calls me anyway, so I have little use for voice mail.
    04-16-2014 02:13 PM
    Mine is draining faster indeed, but that's because I'm glued to my phone all day and using it much more after the update.
    04-16-2014 03:31 PM
    Battery life has been a little erratic since GDR 8.1. Right now its showing up as 7.7% per hour drain under Battery Sense. I will try a hard reset to see if it helps. Now if I can figure out how to do the hard reset on a 1520.

I had been having a battery issue prior to the GDR 8.1 update and it persists. After I disconnect the 1520 from the charger, it still shows as charging and it seems thereafter to begin discharging ​more rapidly.
    04-16-2014 04:07 PM
    I too can confirm that turning off battery saver indeed saves more battery.... Lol! I've been using my phone now transferring files via Bluetooth and recording 1080p videos as well as music playback for at least an hour now and currently at 100%

Sent from my RM-820_nam_att_100 using Tapatalk
    04-16-2014 10:32 PM
    Guys the drain not happening all the time, there is something that suddenly drain the battery so fast and even if it is not used at all, it looks like a stuck process or so.. when you feel the phone is hot Just restart and everything will be Ok again. If someone knows the app that causes the drain it will be useful to uninstall it, and if it is a system app at least to avoid using it.
    04-17-2014 03:05 AM
    I posted this on another thread and might be useful -

OK, this is what I have done on my 1520.

When I installed 8.1 first I had sluggish performance and really poor battery life. Later that same day I did a hard reset and after setting up everything same as before, disabled unnecessary apps from background tasks. Now two days later, my battery is well settled and I am seeing the same battery life as before even with Cortana running. Last night I went to bed with 53% battery left and battery saver showed me 6 hours left. This morning I woke up with 48% battery left and now it's showing me 15 hours still left.

So, I believe people just to disable unnecessary apps from background tasks and need to be patient and allow the battery to settle down.
    04-17-2014 03:09 AM
    With 8.1 when 1520 is locked it gets very hot time to time and battery drains quickly. I disabled glance and everything is fine. Probably a firmware update compatible with 8.1 update will cure all issues. Firmware with OS update is sent OTA in normal update cycle, but what we did here is to update only OS, so those issues are expected.
    04-17-2014 03:37 AM
    Last night I turned off all background tasks, turned off location and turned off Cortana. 30% drain overnight! Have already done a hard reset without improvement re:battery. I am really enjoying 8.1 but this is a huge issue for me. Prior to update could go well over 24 hours without charging.
    04-17-2014 08:04 AM
112 1234 ...