04-29-2015 12:25 AM
112 12345
tools
    What happens if background task of battery saver is disabled?
    04-17-2014 08:16 AM
    What happens if background task of battery saver is disabled?
    At first it helped but last night battery drain was terrible again.
    04-17-2014 09:55 AM
    I just managed to burn down half of one of my 1520's battery in about 2 hours of continuous typing use.

Can't decide if that's new higher drain, or just to be expected, since I rarely use my phone that much all at once.
    04-17-2014 10:59 AM
    Fast battery drain happened to me for the first time last night on my 1520. I noticed the phone getting really hot so I soft reset. Still was getting hot. It stopped getting hot after the third soft reset. It has to be a hung background process that just refused to quit. So far this morning, the phone has been off the charger for 2 hours and I'm already at 88% but it doesn't get hot. I have used the phone but only a few phone calls and some texting so I'll keep an eye out throughout the day.
    04-17-2014 11:07 AM
    Yeah my 1520 is still not doing good on the battery front...
    04-17-2014 11:08 AM
    Top tip - check your email account settings! I had several email accounts, all set to check for email only every 30 minutes - but after I updated to 8.1, it default to a new 'based on my usage' option. That -in turn- defaults to 'as items arrive' - basically push email. Push email is more battery intensive, and when I set my email back to check every 30 minutes my battery life improved dramatically!
    04-17-2014 11:22 AM
    I created an account here only because this issue! I've been looking for a solution for this all over the net!

Thanks for the suggestions, it seems the soft reset really helps.

My Lumia 820 started draining the battery up to 7%/hour after the WP8.1 update. Yes, the phone was overheating in the camera area, and still draining the battery even 2 days after the update (with location and Cortana turned off).

I turned off background tasks (via Battery saver) > didn't help
    I turned off Battery saver > didn't help

But it seems that the soft reset did the trick. Thank you!
    04-17-2014 01:21 PM
    My Nokia Lumia Icon was suffering catastrophic battery drain and I've tried the following things:
    1- Turned off battery saver. Seems to help a fair bit. Battery Saver lists itself as the largest power consumer.
    2- Turned off location service
    3- Turned off Wifi
    4- Turned off NFC
    5- Turned off Synchronization settings
    6- Set email to refresh every 30 minutes and only pull email for the last 7 days (as opposed to all of it)
    7- Turned off Cortana

Right now the phone is holding steady, but last night with normal settings on (wifi, location service, Bluetooth) I trained from 50% to dead phone before I could finish dinner and a movie with my wife.
    04-17-2014 01:49 PM
    Just an FYI for you guys:

They definitely re-worked something in Internet Explorer. It was the top battery-draining app for me and I figured out why: I had 31 tabs open. On WP8, I think when I clicked a link from the search, it opened in whatever tab was already open. In the new version, it opens another tab. Can't believe I had that many open!

​-Collin-
    04-17-2014 02:12 PM
    My Nokia Lumia Icon was suffering catastrophic battery drain and I've tried the following things:
    1- Turned off battery saver. Seems to help a fair bit. Battery Saver lists itself as the largest power consumer.
    2- Turned off location service
    3- Turned off Wifi
    4- Turned off NFC
    5- Turned off Synchronization settings
    6- Set email to refresh every 30 minutes and only pull email for the last 7 days (as opposed to all of it)
    7- Turned off Cortana

Right now the phone is holding steady, but last night with normal settings on (wifi, location service, Bluetooth) I trained from 50% to dead phone before I could finish dinner and a movie with my wife.
    I did all of those as well (also turned off battery saver in the background apps) along with a soft reset and mine is back to normal. Maybe it just takes a few days for the phone to settle but anyways I am back to the same battery life as before and the phone no longer gets hot for no apparent reason.
    04-17-2014 02:16 PM
    Here's something I found, I apologize if it's a repost:

When you go into Battery Saver the default view is the usage. I went through all of the displayed apps disabled background on all of the ones I saw. A day later and my battery was still draining way too fast. Well, I went back into Battery Saver and at the bottom of the list I noticed the 'show all apps' link. I clicked that and voila, I had a dozen apps with background activity still enabled, a few that I knew were power guzzlers. I turned them all off about 15 minutes ago and my phone doesn't feel like a mini-space heater any more. I have it plugged in so Battery Sense hasn't updated to show what my per-hour drain is yet, but I will post an update soon.
    04-17-2014 02:26 PM
    Here's something I found, I apologize if it's a repost:

When you go into Battery Saver the default view is the usage. I went through all of the displayed apps disabled background on all of the ones I saw. A day later and my battery was still draining way too fast. Well, I went back into Battery Saver and at the bottom of the list I noticed the 'show all apps' link. I clicked that and voila, I had a dozen apps with background activity still enabled, a few that I knew were power guzzlers. I turned them all off about 15 minutes ago and my phone doesn't feel like a mini-space heater any more. I have it plugged in so Battery Sense hasn't updated to show what my per-hour drain is yet, but I will post an update soon.
    Where's the per-hour drain found?
    04-17-2014 03:06 PM
    I just checked and it's 4.8%, which is higher than normal but way less than the 15%+ I have running at a lot since I installed the developer preview. I can actually charge my phone via USB now. A few times it seemed like it was draining as fast as I could charge it. I'll post back in a few hours after I get a better range of data, but the fact that there were a dozen apps I wasn't even being shown at first with background usage turned on seemed to be the problem.
    04-17-2014 03:12 PM
    My Lumia 820's battery is draining very fast after updating to windows 8.1... Or gets discharged within 5-6 hours, after a normal use
    04-17-2014 08:14 PM
    Hello to all, first sorry for my english. I have the same problems in my 620. I turned off all background apps except messenger and whatsapp, even the battery saver app. Nothing works, the battery goes from almost 90% to 10% in 8 hours whitout use over the night. So checking some configurations I noticed that the facebook app have an option to sync whit the phone that works even when is disabled from the battery saver app because it sync whit the whole phone, not just whit the notification center. To check it truthfully i unistalled the facebook app and put the phone to charge, when i have result after testing i will post it here
    04-18-2014 10:16 AM
    high battery drain after updating to WP 8.1 is not an isolated problem its all over the fourums

im pretty sure this is the problem with geofencing.

geofencing is a new feature in windows phone 8.1 the phone keeps on checking your location continuously even though the app doesn't require it example IE , whats app etc pretty much any app. this is just like using nokia drive for 4 hours and your battery dies. constant use of gps reduces battery life and heats up the phone for no reason.

when ever this feature is accessed the phone does this in the background( the location icon on the top bar is not displayed how i know this is because it says so in settings-location )

How do i know its the problem with geofencing

heres a little experiment you guys can try out ( please don't mock this post if you haven't tried this out)

turn off location and use your phone normally for a day and you'll notice the battery performance is like pre update. and phone doesnt heat too.
    04-18-2014 11:57 AM
    yes more than a couple of times I look my phone had full charge and like 30 mins later dead I was like WTF .....
    04-19-2014 06:32 AM
    Email accounts syncing is the culprit. I had the massive battery drain you guys are talking about but after reading on the forum about changing the syncing from based on my usage (as items arrive) to every 15 min, the battery drain is now gone. The phone was fully charged and I left it overnight and only 2% drained which is the same as before WP8.1 and it's great. Also, I disabled syncing of theme in sync my settings.
    04-19-2014 06:53 AM
    Option to automatically turn off WiFi when your screen turns off, which was major battery saving feature in WP8, is now GONE in WP8.1. WiFi is now by default always turned ON and that's the biggest battery drain believe it or not. You can't always remember to manually turn off WiFi when you don't use your phone. So much for WiFi Sense. No sense at all.
    04-19-2014 06:58 AM
    Ok already try unistalling facebook app and the difference in battery life is noticeable but not significant
    04-19-2014 12:22 PM
    I have looked at the subject long and hard. In order to improve battery life what you need to do is delete all email accounts. Once they are deleted them re-add them.

When the developer preview installs something happens to the email accounts that are already setup on the phone which causes the battery to drain. By doing this you will notice a tremendous battery improvement and no more battery overheating.

In 7.5 hours from a full charge, my 928 has 52% battery life left with moderate usage since doing this. Probably spent an hour and a half to nearly 2 hrs on the web, 4 10 min phone calls, and recvd 35 emails during this time. So I would so that this has worked for me. I hope it helps you.
    04-19-2014 06:01 PM
    hey i have the L520 and when i installed the wp8.1 last monday it's drained my battery like hell(i'm talking about 3-4 hours of meduim activity until battery goes flat) but as my system "digested" the new os things got better each and every day.
    now after almost a week i'm having 10-20 hours of battery with meduim use(GPS on,data on/wifi on/wifi sense and hour or 2 of music)
    i think the system actually learnning to control the battery usage day by day and if it does happening it's an awesome feature by microsoft!
    04-19-2014 08:37 PM
    Top tip - check your email account settings! I had several email accounts, all set to check for email only every 30 minutes - but after I updated to 8.1, it default to a new 'based on my usage' option. That -in turn- defaults to 'as items arrive' - basically push email. Push email is more battery intensive, and when I set my email back to check every 30 minutes my battery life improved dramatically!

Bot sure that stopping push notification is an acceptable solution to stop battery drainage.
    04-20-2014 12:14 AM
    Yesterday I noticed that, with no background tasks at all, Messaging drained my battery from ~80% to ~30% in 6.5 hours. What's the reason for this? I don't have any of the messaging settings enabled except for group text (VZW).
    04-20-2014 09:07 AM
    after installing dev preview i start having worse battery life. but after 4 days i saw much better battery life and didn't make any hard reset... the only thing diferent i made was charging the phone all night putting it off. and i am ok now, having facebbok, amazing weather, insider, simple calendar, awesome locker, my app free,running in the background... i unplluged the phone before yesterday at 10,30 am and put it charging again today at 1,00 am having 7% left. i think its ok. and doing a medium usage of applications and net and some calls...
    04-20-2014 09:17 AM
112 12345