Start screen is lagging with Windows Phone 8.1 and the Lumia 520

bills pies

Mar 19, 2014
Visit site
I have just got Windows Phone 8.1 (as everyone else here has) and I'm loving it as a McDonald's employee would say, but there is one bug that's quite annoying
Whenever I hit the start button to take me back to my 3 column start screen with a start background, there is a little bit of lag and the tiles take a second or two to fully load. Is this just because of the hardware, and is there a way to stop the lag?

Philipp Wiesler

Apr 15, 2014
Visit site
I notice this too since the Update --> Lumia 720 --> hard reset changes nothing and it happens both with all apps on the SD Card or internal memory --> Live tiles take a second or so to update --> and the number of tiles has no influence

cbreze

Mar 11, 2010
Visit site
Some have noticed that lag goes away when WiFi is shut off. Helped my icon, just gotta remember to toggle WiFi as needed.

herbertsnow

Banned
Dec 10, 2013
Visit site
I have just got Windows Phone 8.1 (as everyone else here has) and I'm loving it as a McDonald's employee would say, but there is one bug that's quite annoying
Whenever I hit the start button to take me back to my 3 column start screen with a start background, there is a little bit of lag and the tiles take a second or two to fully load. Is this just because of the hardware, and is there a way to stop the lag?

Phone seem for laggy when using 3 columns. Works better with just 2.

Vladimir Hidalgo

Dec 12, 2013
Visit site
Yeah it lags on L520 but only the first 1 or 2 times, after that it's like it's cached or something. Also (as expected I must say) it's worst when you have several Live Tiles that pull images from internet.

fonix232

Apr 6, 2014
Visit site
I'm not sure what you're experiencing, I had no problem whatsoever so far with live tiles. Except if you mean that some of them need some time to turn to the live content - in that case, yes, indeed, that happens. It might be that they just extended the turn time to let the tiles update first. It is most definitely not a lag in my case, but more like a timing issue (someone maybe misplaced a comma? :D )

Jun 13, 2013
Visit site
I own a NL720 with wp 8.1 running. Tried hard reset, but it didn't help. Recently I am facing this issue quite more frequently. Is there any way to stop this lag as it's very much annoying and gives u an android feel..

piyushvora

Aug 15, 2013
Visit site
Guys I am also facing this issue on my Lumia 520. I updated my 520 to cyan last week, I m facing lots of issue with 8.1 like start screen lag, IE crashes, IE old tabs refreshes when I open a new tab, setting sub details takes time to load. This is very annoying when I press start button and the start screen take time to load tiles. I just managed to get a screen shot of the start screen lag, have a look.

Attachments

• wp_ss_20140821_0002.png
    wp_ss_20140821_0002.png
    49.8 KB · Views: 6

apoc111

Nov 13, 2013
Visit site
Facing this issue on Lumia 720 especially when exiting from contacts. First appeared on WP8.1DP, then on Update1DP, on Cyan, on Cyan+UpdateDP... This is the most annoying lag ive ever seen on WP, it feels like the OS would be totally instable and could crash/restart any time, driving me crazy. What the heck is wrong? I tried everything basicly what a WP "expert" can try at home: soft, hard reset, nokia recovery tool, back to original software, original firmaware, then back to newest DP update. Removing all the tiles put them back one by one, watching them how they act. Conclusion: IF THERE IS MORE THAN 3*5 MEDIUM SIZED TILES, TILE LOADING STARTS TO LAG AFTER PRESSING WIN BUTTON OR BACK. And it cant be the amount of ram, cuz the guys with the 1520 moster face it too, nor the wifi (why would it be?).

IS THERE A REMEDY? HELP US OUT PLEASE! :)

Leonardo Acquisti

Nov 23, 2012
Visit site
Hi, my 920 was lagging on start screen since 8.1 update.
I tried an hard reset with backup restore and an hard reset without backup restore.
The second one was working fine art first becoming lagging again after some changes.
Yesterday I changed my background, that usually download from zedge, with one of the stock wallpaper.
Everything is back to normal or at least a lot better.
I'll check the difference between those images but to me it definitely affect the start screen performance.
It must be something like resolution, compression, dpi or else that make difference.

apoc111

Nov 13, 2013
Visit site
It seems that I've found a solution. It is Cortana... BUT not only her live tile. Switch to US english language and set the region to United States if you are outside the us. You can still keep your local currency, format and keyboard. Then restart the phone, go to battery saver and forbid Cortana to run in the background. And there you go: no lag when quiting from people hub, no lag, less not-loading tiles. Phone only lags when quiting "Storage Sense" - but you can use Lumia Storage Check Beta instead... Yes, no Cortana, no native language (if i switch back it starts to lag again)
Any opinions or experiences?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3