windows phone 8.1 experience on lumia 520

Harris Aleem

Aug 10, 2013
Visit site
OK guys i have a lumia 520 (windows phone 8 for now).. i just want to know if any of u have installed 8.1 on your 520s??how is the overall performance.. i was going through the 8.1 threads and a number of people stated that they were facing lag or their phones have now become noticeably slower....is there any lag on your 520??

I'm aware that the preview is actually a beta and most probably gonna have a number of bugs but i have an OCD and cant bear lag. I'm just curious hows the overall performance on a 520..thanks:smile:

Jobook1

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Hi!

Well i just installed the windows 8.1 update on my 520! Warning, storage was a big issue for me when updating since I had 3.2 GB of "OTHER"! Anyhow, after a complete wipe of the device and installing two different updates, it finally got going! As I play around with the device, it seems a little bit slower, there is some lag. Noticeably while entering a password at the lock screen as well as the notification centre. The update is nice, but if you aren't a fan of lag, I would pass for a while!

Have a great week!:winktongue:

Zacharyw70

Sep 3, 2013
Visit site
I feel my 520 is slower, I'm getting the "Loading" Dots a lot more now, or "Resume" dots. That's only for navigating the UI/Browser/Settings, app wise things like Twitter, and Facebook seem to load just the same.

FCone

May 31, 2013
Visit site
My 520 upgraded faster than my 1020 but it does feel slower on 8.1. Going to try a reboot. It all works though and I think the save to SD for apps is pretty amazing.

gumblecosby

Sep 23, 2013
Visit site
Installed it earlier on my 520:

-Internet Explorer no longer has the scrolling lag it had in WP8. There is no delay between moving the finger and scrolling the window. Its a great little fix for the 520. Tabs view lags a bit though. The address entry box is way better. It now has autocomplete suggestions within the text field and the suggestions menu above it appear much faster now.
-Xbox music has problems resuming when you tap the song name in the volume control drop down menu. It seems buggy on all devices. It still usable though. One nice feature now is I can finally access my music library after tapping the shortcut in the phone volume drop down menu. Just swipe to the left. In wp8 there was no way of getting to your library without re-opening the app from a fresh state.
-Not sure about battery life but be wary, after the update background tasks for all eligible apps were re-enabled. Check the new battery sense app to disable the ones you don't want.
-The swype keyboard works as advertised. Has no lag at all. I was surprised at how accurate it is. It automatically adds in a space between words.
-Keyboard is still responsive. Long pressing a key such as "." will pop up the character options faster than in WP8
-Enabling an extra row of tiles along with a black wallpaper looks great. There are some nice possibilities with the new wallpaper feature.
-Podcast app is decent for my basic use: can set it to either stream or download episodes
-not a fan of some of the new animations such as in xbox music, messaging and when hitting the home button. The home button animation has a weird sliding out effect along with tiles falling into the screen from the feet. Its too busy and seems to lag a bit
-There is a slight change to cursor navigation (i.e.. when you tap and hold over a typed word). It activates faster. Not sure if it improves usability yet. Need to try it out more
-Cortana has no perceived lag and the microphone of the 520 could parse my non US accent surprisingly well.

In summary:
It feels as responsive as WP8. My only concern is whether the battery life is shorter. Its hard to tell since Im using it more and it may need calibration too. I think a hard reset would be the best thing to do if you have the time so to eliminate any doubts over the update process(not recommended whilst the store is down).

ShaneRay

Sep 3, 2013
Visit site
Upgraded this morning and the process went smooth.

However, after some reboots and a couple soft resets, the performance is disappointing. A fair amount of lag and sluggishness.

I haven't tried a hard reset yet, but will sometime over the next few days.

Love the features of 8.1, but my 520 doesn't appear to love 8.1.

adam220891

Sep 20, 2013
Visit site
521 was slow for me, then it 'warmed up' after some time and a reboot. Cortana was not working right so I did a hard reset and things seem better now.

Saksham Sharma

Feb 18, 2014
Visit site
Why is it that someone says faster, someone says same, and someone says slower ? ;)
What i can perceive from this thread is that if you update, a hard reset is in line if you want full performance. Am i right ?

fonix232

Apr 6, 2014
Visit site
Updated, update took about an hour (lots of data to be migrated, duh...).
Phone got slower than before, and I had some small issues (keyboard started jumping off once I tapped an input field, etc.). Did a hard reset, removed all the Nokia apps I don't use, and now it's running better than 8.0 ever did.
Some apps indeed do Resume more often, but that depends on the apps themselves. I also noticed that some apps run better than before (e.g. Foursquare).

Saksham Sharma

Feb 18, 2014
Visit site
Updated, update took about an hour (lots of data to be migrated, duh...).
Phone got slower than before, and I had some small issues (keyboard started jumping off once I tapped an input field, etc.). Did a hard reset, removed all the Nokia apps I don't use, and now it's running better than 8.0 ever did.
Some apps indeed do Resume more often, but that depends on the apps themselves. I also noticed that some apps run better than before (e.g. Foursquare).

I'm wondering since when did apps start affecting wp, 8 never ever got affected by the number of apps installed. This should mean that now wp would also become like android if you load too many apps ?
Oh btw, how's Xbox music working for you ? I've read its pretty pathetic right now, with the resuming and the loading in the song lists, no swiping etc.

waqqas31

Jun 29, 2012
Visit site
I feel my 520 is slower, I'm getting the "Loading" Dots a lot more now, or "Resume" dots. That's only for navigating the UI/Browser/Settings, app wise things like Twitter, and Facebook seem to load just the same.

This will happen with the Dev Preview, but should improve when you install Nokia's official 8.1 update (Lumia Cyan) as that is optimized for the hardware.

Saksham Sharma

Feb 18, 2014
Visit site
This will happen with the Dev Preview, but should improve when you install Nokia's official 8.1 update (Lumia Cyan) as that is optimized for the hardware.

lets hope ! ;) or else wp would become lagdows like lagdroid. I love the fluidity of the os, and no amount of features are a good bargain against loss of fluidity.

Maurice Alexander

Mar 5, 2014
Visit site
I've updated my 521 to the 8.1 version. It's quite buggy (as per tiles not updating quickly (1-2 sec delay), however, I haven't experienced any lag. I've 1GB left of storage on my device and about 4GB left to spear on my SD Card. I'm very impressed with Cortana's response time, it's quite fast considering it's only a 512MB of RAM device. If you don't mind bug every once and a while, I'd say to update your device (only if you're comfortable of course and tech savvy)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs