03-19-2015 03:20 PM
53 123
tools
    Want to see the most of your background? Here are the list of the transparent tiles that we can think of! Hope everyone can pitch in and make a list :)

1a. All default Windows Phone 8.1 apps, except for Xbox Music and Video, Games, Office, OneNote, OneDrive
    1b. Bing Translator?
    2. WhatsApp
    3. Kik Messenger
    4. Cortana
    5. Data Sense, Storage Sense, Battery Saver
    6. Stop The Music
    7. MetroTube (somewhat because there's a little transparent box in the middle)
    8. Wallpaper HD
    9. WPCentral (with the right settings, can someone clarify this?)
    10. reddit
    11. Facebook Messenger
    12. All Rudy Huyn apps(?)
    13. Nextgen Reader
    14. Flashlight XT
    15. SCORCH

Calculator²
    Cross Court Tennis 2 ( an excellent Tennis Game on WP )
    The Nokia App Folders
    FlashLite
    Jack of Tools
    Facebook Messenger
    Facebook ( if you disable the Live Tile refresh )
    MPATool
    MusicTube
    Store Deals
    SysApp Pusher
    toib
    bing translator
    uc browser
    wikipedia ( rudy huyn / Only if you set Live Tiles to accent color , you can enable this in the app settings ).
    The Pinned Facebook Pages / Groups if they don't have a cover picture.

That's it for now. Will tell you if i find more.
    Last edited by abel920; 04-14-2014 at 07:51 PM.
    Raghav94 and liam-ward like this.
    04-14-2014 07:12 PM
    This could easily be a sticky post. The HERE apps are not transparent.
    04-14-2014 07:16 PM
    Thank you! I've been on a roll these past few days. I am drunk with Windows love.
    Dadstar0410 likes this.
    04-14-2014 07:19 PM
    This could easily be a sticky post. The HERE apps are not transparent.
    I wonder why that is? As well as Facebook. Since Messenger is.
    04-14-2014 07:19 PM
    My Nokia Mix Radio+ tile is not transparent.

http://
    04-14-2014 07:20 PM
    Thanks!
    04-14-2014 07:29 PM
    Calculator²
    The Nokia App Folders
    FlashLite
    Jack of Tools
    Facebook Messenger
    MPATool
    MusicTube
    Store Deals
    SysApp Pusher
    toib
    bing translator
    uc browser
    wikipedia ( rudy huyn / Only if you set Live Tiles to accent color , you can enable this in the app settings ).

04-14-2014 07:33 PM
    Calculator²
    The Nokia App Folders
    FlashLite
    Jack of Tools
    Facebook Messenger
    MPATool
    MusicTube
    Store Deals
    SysApp Pusher
    toib
    bing translator
    uc browser

Thank you, I'll add you to the OP!
    04-14-2014 07:51 PM
    How's the wpcentral tile made transparent?
    04-14-2014 08:27 PM
    How's the wpcentral tile made transparent?
    Direct quote from Daniel R's very thorough review-great tutorial Dan!

"How it works is if an app uses the ‘Iconic design’ for its Live Tile, it will show the image behind it. If the tile uses a ‘Flip layout’, any area of the background that is transparent will show the background image. As a result, some apps will have a ‘see through’ ability with the new background images, while others will remain a solid, preselected color e.g. Facebook. The effect can be seen within our own WPCentral app, where we let the user choose between an Iconic or Flip design for their Live Tile. If the user chooses Iconic and it’s pinned, within a few minutes the Tile will update with the transparent background effect. That may cause some confusion amongst users, at least initially, but I think developers will adjust their apps going forward."

@Laura,

The ss you show above....the new icon------->next to Wifi icon---->is this the 'action center' icon??

Thanks
    Laura Knotek, cbreze and liam-ward like this.
    04-14-2014 08:57 PM
    The WPCentral app icon isn't always transparent for now... I guess they need to update the app. It's transparent until you get a notification, then it becomes opaque for a couple of minutes, then goes back to transparent...
    04-14-2014 09:28 PM

"How it works is if an app uses the ‘Iconic design’ for its Live Tile, it will show the image behind it. If the tile uses a ‘Flip layout’, any area of the background that is transparent will show the background image. As a result, some apps will have a ‘see through’ ability with the new background images, while others will remain a solid, preselected color e.g. Facebook. The effect can be seen within our own WPCentral app, where we let the user choose between an Iconic or Flip design for their Live Tile. If the user chooses Iconic and it’s pinned, within a few minutes the Tile will update with the transparent background effect. That may cause some confusion amongst users, at least initially, but I think developers will adjust their apps going forward."

@Laura,

The ss you show above....the new icon------->next to Wifi icon---->is this the 'action center' icon??

Thanks
    What color for the tile would be best?
    04-14-2014 09:52 PM

"How it works is if an app uses the ‘Iconic design’ for its Live Tile, it will show the image behind it. If the tile uses a ‘Flip layout’, any area of the background that is transparent will show the background image. As a result, some apps will have a ‘see through’ ability with the new background images, while others will remain a solid, preselected color e.g. Facebook. The effect can be seen within our own WPCentral app, where we let the user choose between an Iconic or Flip design for their Live Tile. If the user chooses Iconic and it’s pinned, within a few minutes the Tile will update with the transparent background effect. That may cause some confusion amongst users, at least initially, but I think developers will adjust their apps going forward
    Followed these instructions and it doesn't want to work, but thanks anyway.
    04-14-2014 10:03 PM

@Laura,

Thanks
    Yes, the action center icon is the one to the right of the WiFi icon.
    04-14-2014 10:37 PM
    The Facebook app isn't transparent, either, even without the live tile refresh.
    b23h likes this.
    04-14-2014 10:43 PM

@Laura,

Thanks
    doesn't work
    04-14-2014 10:50 PM
    doesn't work
    It does actually. Mine is transparent right now. You need the iconic live tile pinned, not the flipped one. Give it a few minutes, then it changes to transparent.
    04-14-2014 10:53 PM
    WPCENTRAL has no transparent tiles too or only mine? I've seen Daniel showing 8.1 with transparent tiles on wpcetral. I paid on the app btw!
    04-14-2014 10:56 PM
    WPCENTRAL has no transparent tiles too or only mine? I've seen Daniel showing 8.1 with transparent tiles on wpcetral. I paid on the app btw!
    https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resi...t=photo%2c.png
    04-14-2014 11:09 PM
    There's a bunch on mine that works, don't have time to double check if ppl posted already so here they are:
    Music Wall
    UC Browser
    Nokia Car App
    Blue Skies
    6snap (change the tile to match system tile)
    Listen
    Fast4sq (great quick checkin app for Foursquare)
    effectual
    Today's Word
    Tweet It!
    WeChat
    App Social
    App Folder
    Newser
    Package Tracker
    (Bing)Translator
    Hot Music
    MetroMail
    04-14-2014 11:27 PM
    The WPCentral app icon isn't always transparent for now... I guess they need to update the app. It's transparent until you get a notification, then it becomes opaque for a couple of minutes, then goes back to transparent...
    This is what I've observed as well.

Has anyone found a transparent weather app?
    04-14-2014 11:31 PM
    This is what I have observed as well.

Has anyone found a weather app that's transparent?
    Using the new app Blue Skies and it works just fine, looks great with transparent live tile. Also a very clean and functional app, great for initial release.
    04-14-2014 11:31 PM
    What did you do to make it live? It does not work on me? Any tips? Though not big deal to me with transparent tiles but having that just a bonus. Just look my start screen look more beautiful!
    04-14-2014 11:33 PM
    Using the new app Blue Skies and it works just fine, looks great with transparent live tile. Also a very clean and functional app, great for initial release.
    Blue Skies is indeed transparent. Anyone seen any others? Blue Skies is clean and functional but I'd like a little more information on the live tile like highs/lows and maybe a quicker live tile update rate than every three hours.

Thanks!
    04-14-2014 11:40 PM
    Blue Skies does not properly work everywhere unfortunately.. Not working at all in France (don't know for the rest of the Europe)... Any other weather app with transparent tile ?
    04-15-2014 04:42 AM
53 123