WP8.1 Maps vs HERE Maps

TechAbstract

Apr 20, 2012
Visit site
All my favorites are currently in HERE maps. I am still deciding which maps app to use. The new default maps for WP8.1 seems very good. What do you guys think?

ven07

Jan 27, 2014
Visit site
I would use both... the more we use cortana and her features the faster we can work out the bugs and get her ready for the world :D

david90531

Aug 29, 2011
Visit site
Both works pretty well imo. I would go with the new Maps app just because it's refreshed and pretty accurate on even traffics and wifi spots, etc.

matro

Mar 5, 2002
Visit site
the Maps app that comes with WP8.1 and its new perspective map view is pretty awesome, specially if compared with the Nokia LiveSight which I gently hate. anyway, having two similar apps from the "same" vendor is quite confusing.

mozman68

Dec 29, 2013
Visit site
Am I correct in stating that the only reason I even have the "Maps" app on my 1520 is because I have 8.1 early...if I was to do the standard upgrade in a couple of months, I don't believe Nokia would include it and would just update Here Maps and Drive+. Right?

jhoff80

Apr 27, 2003
Visit site
I prefer the built-in Microsoft Maps app in 8.1. It shows POIs on the map, actually works with 3D buildings, uses the compass by default, and has direct access to Local Scout.

The only thing that I find that Here Maps does better is walking directions, as it follows along with you while you walk (similar to driving directions but without the voice).

Plus, Cortana uses the stock 8.1 Maps for questions like "Where am I" and I hate the redundancy of having both. (Of course, for questions that say "navigate to" or "drive to" it sends you to whichever choice you've made as default which for me is Here Drive.)

mozman68

Dec 29, 2013
Visit site
And when I look at Maps and Here Maps, they seem to use the same exact 3d graphics...are they truly different? I've only ever had Here up until yesterday when 8.1 added Maps, so I really don't know.

jhoff80

Apr 27, 2003
Visit site
And when I look at Maps and Here Maps, they seem to use the same exact 3d graphics...are they truly different? I've only ever had Here up until yesterday when 8.1 added Maps, so I really don't know.

The map data itself is all the same. The two apps render some of that differently though.

Moiz Mian

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
I really despise the fact that there are two maps apps on WP. It's extremely disjointed. If Nokia really cares that much about having their maps front and center, then they should have Microsoft integrate it in to the whole operating system. Otherwise let Microsoft use their app which uses Nokia data anyway. In any case, so far I'm liking the built in Microsoft maps better, aside from integration, it's faster and lags less when swiping around, and it's got the 3D mode and everything, so I don't think I'll be using Here Maps for the time being.

Adretheon

Sep 28, 2011
Visit site
Yea I've always used Bing maps, and now it's pinned to my home screen to have quick access to Local Scout but I also love the new 8.1 additions.

TechAbstract

Apr 20, 2012
Visit site
I prefer the built-in Microsoft Maps app in 8.1. It shows POIs on the map, actually works with 3D buildings, uses the compass by default, and has direct access to Local Scout.

The only thing that I find that Here Maps does better is walking directions, as it follows along with you while you walk (similar to driving directions but without the voice).

Plus, Cortana uses the stock 8.1 Maps for questions like "Where am I" and I hate the redundancy of having both. (Of course, for questions that say "navigate to" or "drive to" it sends you to whichever choice you've made as default which for me is Here Drive.)
Stock maps loads faster too. I think I am going to transfer all my favorites to the stock app.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb