WP8.1 Maps vs HERE Maps

anon(5445874)

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site
Oh yeah, didn't think of that. On a side note, I also just found another reason to use the built in maps. In View Options, you can add 'show nearby Wi-Fi'. It puts nice little Wi-Fi logos across your map. Of course you can also get to viewing Wi-Fi through local scout in the same spot where you showed me how to pin it.

Manikanta Reddy

Sep 13, 2013
Visit site
Actually HERE maps and Bing maps are the same...
Try downloading new maps in HERE maps or HERE drive+....
Also try downloading from local inbuilt client "maps"....
You can see that you are directed to same settings page and also you should be able to see same set of "installed maps"

And a tip: Use the lumia storage check app to change the location where maps are stored to SD card, that should be of some help.

AndrewL920

Dec 7, 2013
Visit site
Can anyone tell me if Satellite view will only works if there are data connection or WiFi? I opened my Here Maps and set it to "Satellite View". With WiFi On, the satellite view works fine in my location and other places but when I turned Off my WiFi, the satellite view shows only Blurry images.

andrelamont

Jul 27, 2012
Visit site
Actually HERE maps and Bing maps are the same...
Try downloading new maps in HERE maps or HERE drive+....

Also try downloading from local inbuilt client "maps"....
You can see that you are directed to same settings page and also you should be able to see same set of "installed maps"

And a tip: Use the lumia storage check app to change the location where maps are stored to SD card, that should be of some help.

This not true

If you type in this address you will see TWO different locations

7595 Walton Rd Walton Hills, OH 44146 USA

Bing Maps has the incorrect address
HERE maps has the accurate address. I performed this test on WP 8.1 using the 2 separate apps. I have downloaded the state map (ohio)

ALSO:
If you use the web-browser you will see the exact same IN-ACCURACY.

here are the links for verification

HERE: 7595 Walton Rd Walton Hills, OH 44146 USA
HERE - City and Country Maps - Driving Directions - Satellite Views - Routes

BING: 7595 Walton Rd Walton Hills, OH 44146 USA
Bing Maps - Driving Directions, Traffic and Road Conditions

Chris_Germany

Banned
Mar 24, 2014
Visit site
i want to get rid of MS MAPS.
My App list is so much longer now, i hate it. Extra Video, Music (plus nokia music!), Gameshub, every single Game in the list...what the hell!?!?!?!?!? I hope they change it in the final version. And i hope the preview IS NOT THE FINAL VERSION

Ebuka Allison

Feb 19, 2013
Visit site
i want to get rid of MS MAPS.
My App list is so much longer now, i hate it. Extra Video, Music (plus nokia music!), Gameshub, every single Game in the list...what the hell!?!?!?!?!? I hope they change it in the final version. And i hope the preview IS NOT THE FINAL VERSION
That's a bloody non-issue

Byrese

Dec 14, 2012
Visit site
I like the new Bing/Microsoft maps better in terms of design and function. Today however Bing maps combined with copilot lead me directly into an ally. When I tried Here maps and Drive it got me to my destination just fine. Still I'll probably keep giving the default Bing a change but copilot is gone.

crav4speed

Sep 20, 2012
Visit site
I deleted Here Maps from my phone after the 8.1 update. I really only kept Here Maps because of the indoor navigation in malls and other places. Bing maps in 8.1 was updated to include indoor navigation so I have no need for Here Maps anymore. The Here Maps UI was also a bit terrible.

Bing maps along with Waze (even though I hate that they were bought by Elgoog) makes my mapping and navigation complete. I still have Drive+ on my phone for longer road trips when I need to download maps to the phone but for around town navigation with traffic support, Waze takes the cake.

MBY

Mar 5, 2014
Visit site
Does the new Maps on 8.1 have favorites and/or link to your Bing account? My #1 gripe with Maps on my WP8 is the lack of favorites. HERE has decent collection support which is why I use it. But I'd much rather be able to favorite stuff on Maps and also to do so while logged into my Bing account.

Byrese

Dec 14, 2012
Visit site
Yeah I before they have that feature now.

Question: Died Waze now have voice navigation?

Sent from my RM-940_nam_att_200 using Tapatalk

Byrese

Dec 14, 2012
Visit site
This not true

It's true, Bing Maps is not as reliable it seems. This puts me in a bind as I "like" Bing Maps better but it seems that Here is just far more advanced in mapping technology.

7595 Walton Rd Walton Hills, OH 44146 USA

Bing Maps has the incorrect address
HERE maps has the accurate address. I performed this test on WP 8.1 using the 2 separate apps. I have downloaded the state map (ohio)

ALSO:
If you use the web-browser you will see the exact same IN-ACCURACY.

here are the links for verification

HERE: 7595 Walton Rd Walton Hills, OH 44146 USA
HERE - City and Country Maps - Driving Directions - Satellite Views - Routes

BING: 7595 Walton Rd Walton Hills, OH 44146 USA
Bing Maps - Driving Directions, Traffic and Road Conditions

slyronit

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site
I am using the maps that come with WP 8.1 I don't even have Here maps installed. The native maps integrate really well with Cortana and the rest of the OS. For navigation, the stock maps app can launch Here drive, which suits me fine.

I have manually migrated most of the favourites to the stock Maps app

ohgood

Aug 20, 2011
Visit site
Do any of you do offline gps functions with your phones like routing, tracking, waypoints etc and have applications to recommend?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs