Is it now possible to assign static IP address to Windows Phone 8.1 to connect to Wi-Fi?

wpgeek820

Jul 16, 2013
Visit site
Hello all,

To me this has been the most important and needed feature. With WP8, it was not possible to connect to Wi-Fi by assigning static IP (my office uses this procedure to provide Wi-Fi access in addition to the password). But I thought this feature would surely come with WP8.1. I fiddled around with the Wi-Fi settings but I'm still not able to find out how to assign static IP to my phone. Without this I wont be getting Wi-Fi at office and it sucks to use mobile data when everyone else is happily using the Wi-Fi. Please someone let me know if its possible to assign an IP now. If yes, I will speak to my System Administrator and get free internet right now ! :) Thanks!

gagmani

Mar 7, 2014
Visit site
Hello all,

To me this has been the most important and needed feature. With WP8, it was not possible to connect to Wi-Fi by assigning static IP (my office uses this procedure to provide Wi-Fi access in addition to the password). But I thought this feature would surely come with WP8.1. I fiddled around with the Wi-Fi settings but I'm still not able to find out how to assign static IP to my phone. Without this I wont be getting Wi-Fi at office and it sucks to use mobile data when everyone else is happily using the Wi-Fi. Please someone let me know if its possible to assign an IP now. If yes, I will speak to my System Administrator and get free internet right now ! :) Thanks!

Sorry not in current preview. May be in a future update or Final update, because settings are there,but not enabled in this preview.

wpgeek820

Jul 16, 2013
Visit site
Sorry not in current preview. May be in a future update or Final update, because settings are there,but not enabled in this preview.

Yes. I see IP addresses assigned automatically with no option to edit them. This really really sucks for me. Seriously.

andrewames

Apr 14, 2012
Visit site
Maybe I'm confused but are you not looking for the static ip setting at the bottom of the Wi-Fi page? I think that setting was there prior to 8.1

Doesn't look like they can be configured on an individual network basis though.

wpgeek820

Jul 16, 2013
Visit site
Maybe I'm confused but are you not looking for the static ip setting at the bottom of the Wi-Fi page? I think that setting was there prior to 8.1

Doesn't look like they can be configured on an individual network basis though.

My system admin could configure it on Android phones. It has something to do with DHCS or something. I don't know much about all this but apparently he cannot configure Wi-Fi on my phone without specifying the IP manually.

andrewames

Apr 14, 2012
Visit site
If you could find out a little more about what the system admin needs, might be able to help. But need a little more to go on.

wpgeek820

Jul 16, 2013
Visit site
Alright. Apparantly its called a DHCP connection and he needs to match the IP specified in the router to the one on the phone. Here's a video on how its done on Android.

Is it possible to do the same on WP? IF not, are there any other ways my System Admin can configure WiFi on my phone?

Glavata

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site
Configure your router to reserve and only assign your Windows Phone device to the IP you want? You can set your router to assign a local IP based on a MAC address.

BaritoneGuy

Jun 20, 2012
Visit site
This is possible on WP 8.1. although you appear to be looking at it from the wrong end. If your system admin wants you to use a certain address they would create a DHCP reservation on the DHCP server based on the MAC address of your phone. You can get this info from the about section in phone settings.

If you wish to manually set the phone to use a static IP then this can be configured in the WiFi settings for the particular network that you are connecting to. I just looked and it is there on 8.1

wpgeek820

Jul 16, 2013
Visit site
This is possible on WP 8.1. although you appear to be looking at it from the wrong end. If your system admin wants you to use a certain address they would create a DHCP reservation on the DHCP server based on the MAC address of your phone. You can get this info from the about section in phone settings.

If you wish to manually set the phone to use a static IP then this can be configured in the WiFi settings for the particular network that you are connecting to. I just looked and it is there on 8.1

Thanks I'll get back with more details once I reach office. In the mean time, I am fiddling around with a router in my house and there's an IP address specified on my phone. My sys admin told me yesterday that he needs to edit that IP address. Do you mean to say there is a way to edit it in 8.1? I've attached a screenshot.WP_20140416 1.png

andrewames

Apr 14, 2012
Visit site
That's an automatically assigned IP address. You can edit it, yes (go back a page) on both WP8 and WP8.1 if I recall correctly, but doing so would break connectivity on other wireless networks, so you wouldn't usually want to. It will change depending on the network you're connected to.

Yaw Agyei

Oct 15, 2013
Visit site
It looks like certain features are present on some windows phone handsets whilst it's missing on others.

1.My friend owns a Lumia 620 and he's had the static IP setting since WP8. I own a Lumia 820 and static IP setting is not on my phone and I'm on WP8.1 developer preview.

2. My uncle owns a Lumia 520 he's had "call forwarding" option on his phone since WP 8.0. This same feature hasn't been on my Lumia 820 since WP 8.1

Microsoft and Nokia should look into this issue cos I don't understand why the same OS has missing features across devices.

My phone is an international version and so is the friend who owns the Lumia 620

Sent from my RM-825_im_mea3_341 using Tapatalk

hprvez

Aug 7, 2013
Visit site
Wp never had static ip configuration. Coupling an ip to a mac address is not secure since always, on the other hands it complicates the configuration and gives users a hard time, so it's always to avoid. Your administrator needs to aknowledge the basics of IT security

dkediger

Aug 29, 2013
Visit site
For entry level WiFi APs, its a poor man's way to restrict access though - limit DHCP addressing to "whitelisted" MACs. It works well enough and if you run across someone capable of spoofing MAC, well, they'll find other routes to penetrate as well.

The phone's MAC address is listed in Settings/About. You'll have to tap More Info to display it. From there, depending on what your sysadmin is doing, he'll make a DHCP Reservation in the AP, or on the main network DHCP server if he has one. Frankly though, he should know how to get all this info, or at least Bing it.

On my networks, I always make DHCP reservations for my printers, and a few other types of devices. It keeps the main pool of dynamic leases cleaner, and you get a better picture of actual addresses in use if you truly need to make a static assignment. The reservation will show in a report against the DHCP scope leases. If a static device is turned off, its invisible unless you have some historical reports to reference.

Yaw Agyei

Oct 15, 2013
Visit site
@hprvez why do you find it so hard to believe some WP8 devices had static IP option. I have screenshots to prove that. Daniel Rubino can confirm my claim since I sent him those screenshots when I discovered my friend's Lumia 620 had it and my 820 didn't. I've attached those screenshots to help remove doubt.

Sent from my RM-825_im_mea3_341 using Tapatalk

wpgeek820

Jul 16, 2013
Visit site
For entry level WiFi APs, its a poor man's way to restrict access though - limit DHCP addressing to "whitelisted" MACs. It works well enough and if you run across someone capable of spoofing MAC, well, they'll find other routes to penetrate as well.

The phone's MAC address is listed in Settings/About. You'll have to tap More Info to display it. From there, depending on what your sysadmin is doing, he'll make a DHCP Reservation in the AP, or on the main network DHCP server if he has one. Frankly though, he should know how to get all this info, or at least Bing it.

On my networks, I always make DHCP reservations for my printers, and a few other types of devices. It keeps the main pool of dynamic leases cleaner, and you get a better picture of actual addresses in use if you truly need to make a static assignment. The reservation will show in a report against the DHCP scope leases. If a static device is turned off, its invisible unless you have some historical reports to reference.

Thank you! Will take this argument to my system admin and lets see what he thinks.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb