Bug with WP 8.1 sounds?

pengfoong

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
Before upgrading, the message tone is set to Song-A.
Song-A will obviously be used for
a) SMS
b) USSD messages (messages that you get when you dial some magic codes using phone app. eg : *123#)
c) Some other special messages that operators/banks sent (messages that won't appear in message threads).

After upgrading, I've noticed the following:
1. The entire Song-A will be played in FULL for USSD and special messages.
2. There's no way to change the tone for USSD and special messages. Changing the tone for messaging app does not change the tone for USSD and special messages. Changing Phone app tone does not change the tone for USSD and special messages as well.
3. SMS tone can be changed via action center but now it only plays like 5 seconds? IIRC, it plays for like 10 seconds previously?

Anyone experiencing the same problem? I've tried it on two phones (both Lumia 820) and the results are the same.

EDIT: I've even tried changing the tone for every single app in the action center. Still cant change the tone for USSD and special messages

Last edited:

thekeeblerelf

Jan 26, 2011
Visit site
I have noticed random popping sounds in 8.1 as well. If you have the volume turned all the way down, and fast forward a video, the popping sound will occur.

teckris

Aug 7, 2013
Visit site
I got this issue.. and i deleted that tone and now it is Blank!!
i too feel there should be option to change Message Tones in settings... Will try to add a new ringtone with same name and lesser length :)

pengfoong

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
I got this issue.. and i deleted that tone and now it is Blank!!
i too feel there should be option to change Message Tones in settings... Will try to add a new ringtone with same name and lesser length :)

What I did was I put another mp3 with the same name(overwrite) to replace the message tone (that was set prior to the upgrade 8.1). At least the whole mp3 does not play now.

teckris

Aug 7, 2013
Visit site
What I did was I put another mp3 with the same name(overwrite) to replace the message tone (that was set prior to the upgrade 8.1). At least the whole mp3 does not play now.

My badluck... I had set a Ringtone downloaded from Mobile9 app and i dont know where that tone is saved

Steve Bliss

Nov 11, 2013
Visit site
I'm getting the original problem of SMS tones only playing for less than 5 seconds or sometimes only a popping sound instead. Soft reset doesn't work although I've noticed that in settings all my ring tones were set to default which is odd ASD the phone still rang with the correct song. Changed all the tones to correct ones but still only get 5 seconds on SMS & email. Could be Cortana is getting in the way maybe? - just a thought...

djgavias

Oct 7, 2013
Visit site
Before upgrading, the message tone is set to Song-A.
Song-A will obviously be used for
a) SMS
b) USSD messages (messages that you get when you dial some magic codes using phone app. eg : *123#)
c) Some other special messages that operators/banks sent (messages that won't appear in message threads).

After upgrading, I've noticed the following:
1. The entire Song-A will be played in FULL for USSD and special messages.
2. There's no way to change the tone for USSD and special messages. Changing the tone for messaging app does not change the tone for USSD and special messages. Changing Phone app tone does not change the tone for USSD and special messages as well.
3. SMS tone can be changed via action center but now it only plays like 5 seconds? IIRC, it plays for like 10 seconds previously?

Anyone experiencing the same problem? I've tried it on two phones (both Lumia 820) and the results are the same.

EDIT: I've even tried changing the tone for every single app in the action center. Still cant change the tone for USSD and special messages

I have the same problem, you find USSD and special messages in sim apps ringtones but only play 5 seconds too

hajimson

Aug 11, 2014
Visit site
I have the same problem.
Unfortunately, the only option to change USSD message sound is possible only if you have Nokia Lumia smartphone. You need to revert back to WP 8, then change message tone, then update do WP 8.1. (and remember to backup everything because reverting to WP 8 will erase everything from the memory of your phone)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb