Can I downgrade back to WP8?

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
I haven't tried it, but I thought you could flash 8.0 with the Nokia support tool. Can anyone confirm or deny?

gumblecosby

Sep 23, 2013
Visit site
Currently restoring RM-914 VAR EU FR CV rom to my 520. Its about halfway done. Im using nokia care suite and the guide from XDA forums. Looking good so far.

EDIT: Nokia Care Suite said flash was successful but the phone won't boot. Just shows a blinking battery symbol. Will update when I know more.

EDIT 2: Ok. A few scary minutes later and a with few soft reset attempts (hold volume down and the Power button) the phone finally booted up and reached the setup screen. It was stuck at the nokia logo for a couple of minutes.

So yeah, its definitely possible to downgrade back to WP 8.0

Last edited:

HomeyJay

Mar 13, 2014
Visit site
Any particular reason that you used the Care Suite rather than the newer Software Recovery Tool?
And you sir, must have balls of steel and soiled underpants!
Congrats!

gumblecosby

Sep 23, 2013
Visit site
Thanks. I had that sinking "ah ****e" feeling for a minute.

I was doing all of this from a virtual machine since I was using os x. I couldn't get the Software Recovery Tool to recognise the phone. I had already set up Care Suite a few months ago on it so I didn't bother spending the time to troubleshoot Software Recovery Tool. Apparently it is the same as Care Suite so it should work.

gumblecosby

Sep 23, 2013
Visit site
So just to make sure, you updated to 8.1 via the Preview for Developers, but have now successfully downgraded back to 8.0?

Yes. I went from 8.0 to 8.1 via the Preview for Developers app. I downgraded back to current retail firmware (8.0 Black) using the guide here: [XDA News] [How To] Download and flash all WP8 Nokia Lumia Stock ROM - xda-developers (not sure if I can post a link but how and ever)

I assume anyone who doesn't have a Nokia is in trouble since the tools used are Nokia only.

chenhogi

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site

OK, so I remembered that my brother has a 920 that he ditched in favour of an iPhone. I upgraded it to 8.1, then using the Software Recovery Tool, successfully re-installed 8.0. So it can definitely be done, and it is actually quite quick and straightforward.

Seriously considering doing it on my 920, but have decided to give 8.1 a chance for a few days. Thing is I am loath to lose all my data and start afresh.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos