WP 8.1 and OneDrive photos

jansuklje

Feb 26, 2014
Visit site
Hi,

I had the option to upgrade my Lumia 1020 to WP8.1 thanks to preview for developers. Loving it so far, it only seems I can't figure out the current deal with OneDrive photo syncing.

When I open my Photos and scroll right to albums, I see a Camera Roll and OneDrive folders. It makes sense that Camera Roll is the local photo storage, and OneDrive is cloud.

Opening OneDrive on my phone opens to this:
- Camera Roll
- Pictures
- Saved pictures

Opening the Pictures opens the following folders:
- Camera Roll
- Saved pictures

Now, opening Pictures folder on OneDrive opens the following folders
- Camera Roll
- Saved pictures

Camera Roll and Camera Roll in Pictures folder shows the same pictures (they are duplicated).
Opening OneDrive on the web only shows Pictures that has Camera Roll and Saved pictures folder.

I hope this is somehow understandable. Any advice would be very much appreciated.

Gorki247

Sep 6, 2011
Visit site
It can get a bit confusing, especially with the local folders and the backups on OnedDrive having the same name. My Camera Roll on OneDrive is still called 'Skydrive camera roll' which makes it a bit easier to make the distinction. The Onedrive app just has a shortcut to the these backup folders (which are really stored in the main Pictures folder - if you tap on this, you'll see these same folders again). These shortcuts are not available online so you will have to straight to the Pictures folder.

Look at it like this:
Phone : Photos hub with local albums (Camera Roll, Saved Pictures and Screenshots), plus shortcuts to your online photos (OneDrive and Facebook
Onedrive: has a Pictures album, which also contains a backup of the albums on your phone in the relevant sub-folders (Camera Roll and Saved Pictures). The idea being that you delete most of the originals on your phone. You can of course create other sub-folders in the Pictures album and move photos between them.
Onedrive app: same as above, but with two shortcuts to the two key backup folders (maybe these are a bit redundant; it depends how you use it, I guess)

Possible 'solution': Move the Camera Roll and Saved Pictures albums up a level, out of the Pictures folder. I haven't fully tested this, so make sure you backup any important pictures first.

Last edited:

jansuklje

Feb 26, 2014
Visit site
Possible 'solution': Move the Camera Roll and Saved Pictures albums up a level, out of the Pictures folder. I haven't fully tested this, so make sure you backup any important pictures first.

you, sir, are a genius. this actually worked, even more than that - my picture library now syncs as it should and it's available on my pc and my phone.

kudos!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb