HTC 8XT Rebooting/Crashing

Suspekt

Apr 15, 2014
Visit site
Since updating to 8.1 yesterday my 8XT has been rebooting randomly. I did multiple hard resets including starting completely from scratch with no apps. Sometimes pressing the power button will not wake the phone up and I have to restart the phone by holding the power button down.

Several people dismissed another 8XT user's complaints in this thread, but they may have merit.
http://forums.windowscentral.com/wi...constant-rebooting-do-not-update-wp8-1-a.html

Please only post if you have an 8XT.

dorelse

Mar 25, 2011
Visit site
I have an 8XT, and, I'm sure you saw my post that Weather seems to have caused my instability issues. I've since uninstalled that, and my 8XT has been back to its old self.

However, this morning, when I went to work, it locked up again. I think we're still plagued by wifi issues. I'm fortunate in that I have 4G around town, so I'm going to turn wifi off for today and see how it does.

Gotta love how the mods are closing every thread they don't deem worthy. Such heavy handedness ruins the value of these forums.

starsoccer9

Jul 7, 2011
Visit site
hi, Im in the same boat as you. Having lots of problems. Specfically waking my phone up seems to rarely work and it does randomly reboot some times. Besides for that I have had no issues tho.

I have unistalled weather and disabled wifi. I will let you know what happens.

RickSaysMeh

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
After turning off WiFi and setting it to turn back on manually, my 8XT hasn't locked up or rebooted itself. It has been about 3 hours now.

The problem I'm having is that my SD card isn't even acknowledged as being inserted...

Suspekt

Apr 15, 2014
Visit site
I had Weather installed initially, but didn't install it after the last hard reset. I'll try turning wifi off to see if that helps.

Suspekt

Apr 15, 2014
Visit site
The problem I'm having is that my SD card isn't even acknowledged as being inserted...

I'm not having that problem on my 8XT. It recognizes my class 10 ADATA 32GB card fine and lets me transfer things to it. Sometime after it reboots it says it has to scan the card for errors though.

dorelse

Mar 25, 2011
Visit site
After turning off WiFi and setting it to turn back on manually, my 8XT hasn't locked up or rebooted itself. It has been about 3 hours now.

Interesting...I've had the phone try to fix 'errors' on the SD card a couple times now...hasn't happened since I let it fix the errors the 2nd time. I'm using a Sandisk 32GB Class 10 card.

dorelse

Mar 25, 2011
Visit site
BTW...my phone did get quite hot when I had the Weather app installed...I've noticed a much cooler phone, and greatly improved battery life since removing it.

I've also switched off of the HTC Camera app in favor of the new Microsoft delivered one. (Doubt that matters...just an FYI.)

grizzlyaddams

Aug 1, 2013
Visit site
I'm the guy from the other thread. Multiple hard resets later (a few of which resulted in no carrier settings) and my phone does not seem to have restarted itself since I finally decided to go to sleep a few hours ago. I can't say for sure though since I was sleeping and it was definitely rebooting by itself while display was off.

I still have the wi-fi issue though. And for what it's worth, I never had the Bing Weather app installed. I used HTC app instead, which now doesnt work at all, especially the tile.

I am going to try the manual Wi-Fi thing because Sprint service in my area is completely atrocious and without Wi-Fi the phone is basically unusable as an internet device.

As an aside, the primary uses for my phone were the Music and Photo hubs and I am very VERY disappointed with the update in those regards. I honestly could not have cared less about notification center or separate volume controls, take away my beautiful hubs and I don't even want the damn phone any more.

Edit: Oh, and regarding the SD Card, after the initial 8.1 update, many photos were not recognized but after one of the hard resets it picked them all up. May have been a cache issue. But since I had to do multiple hard resets there was a time when it did NOT recognize the card. It's just a 16gb class 4.

RickSaysMeh

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
When I initially installed the update the SD card worked fine. It wasn't until I performed a hard reset that it stopped working. The phone just says "not found" in Storage Sense.

SanDisk microSDXC UHS-1 64 GB. I've tried two microSDXC cards. Same thing. If I remove the formatting or format them as NTFS, the phone recognizes that an SD card has been inserted and offers to format it, but it fails to format the card and says it is not useable. Both cards work perfectly fine in Windows 8.1.

Edit: I have performed at least 4 hard resets without getting my SD card back how it should be...

Last edited:

Ditronics

Feb 15, 2014
Visit site
Hi guys.

Extract the SIM card from the device turned off, clean the slot carefully with a peace of paper with alcohol impregned. Then use dry air to dry it (not warm air). Cleaning the SIM card contacts with alcohol is a good idea too, don't forget to dry it.

Insert the card in the slot (once again be sure it is completly DRY), and check it out!!!

Good luck. :smile:

dorelse

Mar 25, 2011
Visit site
grizzlyaddams - let us know how it goes. since disabling wifi at work this morning, I haven't had 1 lockup or delay since. I can live w/o wifi, but you obviously need it.

Let's hope Microsoft or (HTC & Sprint) don't take too long to sort all of this out! Its such a nice upgrade.

I'm assuming you weren't able to get it back to 8.0 then...wonder if Sprint is able to flash it back?

grizzlyaddams

Aug 1, 2013
Visit site
I sent an email to HTC hoping they'd give me the RUU for the device. I doubt it though. Taking it to sprint for a downgrade was also an option I was considering.

Suspekt

Apr 15, 2014
Visit site
Phone feels a lot more responsive since I disabled wifi. No issues waking it up or rebooting for the last 40 minutes.

Do you guys have wifi sense enabled? I had both wifi sense options turned on. Going to try turning them off and turning wifi back on to see if I get reboots again.

grizzlyaddams

Aug 1, 2013
Visit site
I just noticed they closed my other thread. I honestly think it served as a fair warning because the vast majority of threads/posts regarding the HTC 8XT show that the developer preview is causing serious issues with this specific hardware. Caveat emptor, Cest la vie, etc, I suppose.

dorelse

Mar 25, 2011
Visit site
Turned wifi back on, locked up...so...that appears to be the issue with my phone. Rebooting now and will keep wifi off.

I wonder if Microsoft is monitoring these threads looking for common issues.

dorelse

Mar 25, 2011
Visit site
I just uninstalled the HTC apps...HTC app doesn't work, so removed, HTC Camera (doesn't tie into Bing Vision) so removed, HTC Burst...same as camera, so removed.

I figure the fewer questionable apps the better at this point.

grizzlyaddams

Aug 1, 2013
Visit site
Come to think of it, my phone did not crash all night while I was sleeping, but that's because the wifi radio had already crashed and I just said screw it and left it alone. I did not restart the phone until I got to work where there is no wifi available anyway. I have a feeling the reboot issue is not solved.

Suspekt

Apr 15, 2014
Visit site
My phone rebooted 10 minutes after enabling wifi. Going to turn off the wifi button in the notification area and see how long I can go without a reboot. I only have one optional app installed on the phone (Whatsapp), the rest I removed.

dorelse

Mar 25, 2011
Visit site
My phone rebooted 10 minutes after enabling wifi. Going to turn off the wifi button in the notification area and see how long I can go without a reboot. I only have one optional app installed on the phone (Whatsapp), the rest I removed.

Honestly...I would turn off wifi, then reboot the phone...just in case the wifi code is still hung out there trashing memory internally or something. It obviously is causing us all some problems.

On the apps, I still have quite a few installed, all running on my memory card.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
powerupgo