How to get S/MIME encryption working?

RIMperator

Mar 26, 2014
Visit site
Did anyone find out how to get S/MIME enctyption working? Importing a certificate and turning on S/MIME encryption in the settings doesn't seem to work ...

Last edited:

frostieDE

Jan 26, 2013
Visit site
It isn't working for me, neither :(

I want to use S/MIME to sign my mails, but they don't get singed. I already imported the certificate as a .pfx-file.

RIMperator

Mar 26, 2014
Visit site
It appears that WP 8.1 is very sensitive to what kind of certificate is imported. With a second certificate we got the very basic functionality working. However this raises the next issue: the email app doesn't seem to check the corporate directory for certificates and that would mean that you would have to manage the public key manually on the device. You even need to install it manually before you can use it. If that is the way it's intended to work, then it's not very helpful and certainly not at all suitable for Enterprise use.

Did anyone make any different experience?

Pidri

May 5, 2014
Visit site
none of this helped. i couldnt make it work at all. reading encrypted mails would be enough for me :-/
anyone got it working?

Disinto

Dec 24, 2010
Visit site
Facing the same problem here too :( I successfully imported my organization's root and sub-CA certs and my own certificate but I still can't send encrypted emails nor receive them (signing works though). I'm a bit hopeless.

Disinto

Dec 24, 2010
Visit site
It appears that WP 8.1 is very sensitive to what kind of certificate is imported. With a second certificate we got the very basic functionality working. However this raises the next issue: the email app doesn't seem to check the corporate directory for certificates and that would mean that you would have to manage the public key manually on the device. You even need to install it manually before you can use it. If that is the way it's intended to work, then it's not very helpful and certainly not at all suitable for Enterprise use.

Did anyone make any different experience?

I find it surprising that the mail app doesn't query the AD for the recipients public certificates. Or you enrolling your phone manually or via an MDM solution?

richard rives

Jun 6, 2014
Visit site
We have 2 users running the new Windows 8.1 phone as well and have not been able to get S/Mime to work. Certificate installs just fine, but can't send or receive encrypted mail.

Disinto

Dec 24, 2010
Visit site
Yep, I managed to get both signing and encryption working with the following steps:

1. Install your company's PKI certificates and CRL. You could either send the certificates by email using your PC or directly access the relevant intranet page using WP8.1's VPN
2.Use your corporate laptop to export your private certificate alongside your private key. You *must* use your corporate laptop connected to the AD to do so; any personal device won't work for that task.
3.Send the resulting certificate by email
4.Read the email containing the certificate, tap on the attached file then tap again on the icon representing a shield. You'll be requested to enter the strong password that you created during Step 2 before installing the certificate. Make sure the certificate installs properly
5.Delete the email
6.Reboot the phone (not necessary in theory, but you never know)
7.You should now be good to go.

Known problems:

It seems the client has some problems initially working with the AD infrastructure to automatically gather other recipient's certificates The client would typically show "Your digital ID name cannot be found by the underlying security system".

I don't have any specific steps to resolve that problem. In my case, the problem solved by itself after a few days. Make sure you configure your email account synchronization (Download new content item) to "As items arrive"

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon