Xbox music app is no good.

Liam Howley

Feb 20, 2013
Visit site
I have a desktop PC, surface pro 2 and Lumia 920. I also have an xbox music pass subscription, but a substantial amount of my music doesnt get matched by xbox music so I have to sync a lot of playlists with a different program or by drag/dropping onto the lumia (I have been using JRiver media center for syncing which works great.)

Xbox music for the most part works just fine across surface and PC (and web player). Before WP8.1 Dev Preview I would just sync across certain playlists that I wanted onto my lumia 920 using Jriver Media Centre (before that I used mediamonkey which also worked fine) and had no issues there either. For music that I didnt own on my PC I could just download the playlists/albums in the music&video hub using the xbox music pass, which worked no problem.

Working with playlists on surface, pc and web player worked fine, the changes would sync across all devices just as it should (sometimes it would be a little slow, but it always worked eventually)

With the loss of the music&video hub, xbox music is now the built-in music app for WP8.1. I synced across a handful of playlists just as before, but now xbox music automatically brings over all of the cloud playlists and then on top of that it syncs the playlists that the unmatched music from JRiver/mediamonker/whatever are part of back into the cloud, creating duplicates of the same playlist (example playlist, example playlist (1), example playlist (2), etc.)

I have since turned off the cloud collection on the lumia and deleted the duplicate playlists off the cloud collection which has correctly synced across the surface and PC xbox music apps, where the duplicate playlists are no longer there. But all the duplicate playlists still exist on the lumia, only when you try and delete them, the app crashes... amongst other crashes swiping between artist/album etc. which i cannot be 100% sure are related to this.

Now my lumia's xbox music app is full of duplicated playlists that cannot be deleted and there is no way to clear the lumias music database save a factory reset which I am not willing to do.

Xbox music on WP8.1 seems to be a big step backwards from WP8's music&video hub, which was itself a big step backwards from the zune ecosystem. This is before even taking into account the slow performance of the WP8.1 app :(

I hope this gets sorted by the time it's released to the public / lumia cyan.

Xbox music is totally unusable for me. If xbox music could sync unmatched tracks by wifi or usb then this wouldnt be an issue. I wouldnt need to use workarounds to get unmatched music (which integrates perfectly happily with xbox music on pc/surface) onto the device. Or if xbox music allowed me to wipe the lumia's music/playlist database so I can at least have a half functional music player. As it stands xbox music on my phone is now useless for playing music.

Zacharyw70

Sep 3, 2013
Visit site
Bear in mind the reason that app isn't working out well is because this app hasn't been update to WP8.1 the app included in the developer preview is the exact same one that was previously on the market, except it runs worse now because it isn't optimized for 8.1

agd87

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
Did you delete your playlists off the cloud from this website? Browser Requirements - Xbox Music

When you delete the playlists from this website, open the Music App on your Lumia and leave it open for a few minutes (until it stops saying 'looking for music') it should then sync and remove the duplicate playlists even though the sync to cloud option is turned off. If the playlist have a (2) at the end just rename it.

Rodrigo Mendes

Jul 9, 2013
Visit site
No good at all!!!! 8.1 is really great, but Xbox Music is tottaly garbage!

I have a Lumia 925 and even with no memory card Xbox Music is very slow. And keep looking for music all the time. Artists and music take years to show in menu.

Horrible, just horrible! Hope Microsoft fix it!

bayanii

Mar 3, 2014
Visit site
No good at all!!!! 8.1 is really great, but Xbox Music is tottaly garbage!

I have a Lumia 925 and even with no memory card Xbox Music is very slow. And keep looking for music all the time. Artists and music take years to show in menu.

Horrible, just horrible! Hope Microsoft fix it!

This was discussed in an article. The version is a beta. They are sending out an update soon. That's why its garbage.

Liam Howley

Feb 20, 2013
Visit site
I deleted them on the xbox music app on my pc then watched as it cleared the dupes off the surface and the web player too. Ive left the lumia app open a good few times since but no luck. Trying to delete them off the app makes it crash but I can rename them (about 25% of the time it wont actually crash!) so ive named all the dupes zzzdelete1,2,3 etc so they sit at the bottom of the playlists list. Not that it really matters as it crashes almost every time I try and use it now!

The rest of the 8.1 update seems great so I'm fairly hopeful theyll sort it out in an update at some point.

Until then I'll just use Mixradio which does a nice job with my offline playlists and just make do without my more recent, cloud based ones.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon