Preview for Developers same as final WP8.1 for general public ?

Lance_WPCentral

Nov 22, 2013
Visit site
After reading around I'm pretty confused. I have seen people reporting a lot of issues after installing WP8.1 developers preview. Now some say that this is the initial release and not the final one that will be released to the general public few months down the line. Bug fixes will be done and rolled out with the final release.

But I remember reading that on 27th March, WP8.1 was shipped to OEM's to be installed on new handsets that are going to be released soon. So I was wondering if Dev preview is the initial or final release ?

Arpit Mittal

Aug 8, 2013
Visit site
final release will include update from Nokia as Lumia Cyan update (confirm)
from my point of view wp8.1 OTA will start rolling out not before June as I read American summer which will start from June to August
so my guess we will get in wp8.1 official (who don't get from developer preview program, they also get but not excitement as we will be ) get in end of June & starting of July

Windows Phone 8.1 update: everything you need to know - Nokia Conversations
Best-selling Lumia is better with Windows Phone 8.1 - Nokia Conversations

After reading around I'm pretty confused. I have seen people reporting a lot of issues after installing WP8.1 developers preview. Now some say that this is the initial release and not the final one that will be released to the general public few months down the line. Bug fixes will be done and rolled out with the final release.

But I remember reading that on 27th March, WP8.1 was shipped to OEM's to be installed on new handsets that are going to be released soon. So I was wondering if Dev preview is the initial or final release ?

EchoOne30

Sep 29, 2013
Visit site
This is the final release. This was sent to OEM and developers. This is it.

That's not to say they won't release an update addressing the multitudes of issues and bricking bugs, but this was supposed to be it.

narv

Nov 24, 2012
Visit site
This makes me wonder how often core apps will be updated (I'm looking at you, XBOX Music...).

xbox music is now a separate app from the OS and can be updated independently from the OS GDR updates. Same goes for other apps that are considered "core" apps, though not all of them. As for HOW OFTEN, who knows. But they don't need to wait for a GDR to do it, but that doesn't mean they will be updating it every other week either, i'm sure.

As for the topic at hand, the dev preview program is basically a way for MS to get us the OS without carrier interruptions. So this is 8.1.. just not from the OEMs with their firmware patches and such to the OS. that being said, MS can still patch at any time with bug fixes that they deem appropriate. current rumor says that GDR 1 will be out this summer and GDR 2 in the spring.. and summer is about the time most people will be getting the firmware from various OEMs, so if that is the case then at that time if you still use the dev preview you will get the GDR 1 update.

This all of course is still in rumor as for timetables, but everything else is true.

Lance_WPCentral

Nov 22, 2013
Visit site
It would be great if these issues would be fixed and sent in the final release so that our phones would run smoothly. I'm assuming stuff like battery draining, OS lagging, app running slowly could possibly be cause of the Firmware not present.

Arpit Mittal

Aug 8, 2013
Visit site
Yup I own Lumia 720 & from India. As i will wait for official wp8.1 OTA Update, whenever it will available, may be end of June/July.
Moreover developer build is final release but there will bugs for some, that's why they will not release final update (official) now.
So all bugs which is identify by you (developers), that bugs will be removed from final official release.

Arpit Mittal

Aug 8, 2013
Visit site
I read most of threads there is some bug in wp8.1 developer preview program (it varies user to user) specially in Whatsapp notifications & battery draining (I most hate both bugs). I hope Microsoft will remove main bugs in final release & may be small update for developer preview program too.
so I will wait for official release for wp8.1 in July or may be august when they will released.

pantsaregood

Mar 25, 2012
Visit site
The developer preview IS the final release. The version of Windows Phone 8.1 that was pushed to developers is the RTM version of the software. It's the same version that OEMs are shipping to carriers. The awful Music/Video/Games apps will hopefully be updated by the general release of WP8.1, but they are not integral parts of the OS as they used to be.

Arpit Mittal

Aug 8, 2013
Visit site
if you are saying developer preview program (dpp) is final, then why Microsoft don't release wp8.1 now, In my opinion Microsoft release dpp first, then if there will minor bug then remove that in final version, as big bug was removed in developer SDK
The developer preview IS the final release. The version of Windows Phone 8.1 that was pushed to developers is the RTM version of the software. It's the same version that OEMs are shipping to carriers. The awful Music/Video/Games apps will hopefully be updated by the general release of WP8.1, but they are not integral parts of the OS as they used to be.

HomeyJay

Mar 13, 2014
Visit site
I think that what he means is that there won't be any more new features added to it, all we'll see are the bugs fixed (hopefully) and then a move to general release. At least, that's the way it used to work!

Arpit Mittal

Aug 8, 2013
Visit site
I am also saying that in dpp there would be bugs which would remove in final release
I think that what he means is that there won't be any more new features added to it, all we'll see are the bugs fixed (hopefully) and then a move to general release. At least, that's the way it used to work!

TheRotfler

Jul 31, 2013
Visit site
So Dev Prev is not a way for us to bypass carriers and get RTM, but a real MS beta tester program.
Too bad, this is my last Dev Prev. If MS want me test its products, it has to pay me.

meddyrainzo

Apr 20, 2012
Visit site
So Dev Prev is not a way for us to bypass carriers and get RTM, but a real MS beta tester program.
Too bad, this is my last Dev Prev. If MS want me test its products, it has to pay me.

They didn't specifically ask you to test it you know. They asked "developers" to download it "if they wish" so they can have a preview of what the next OS iteration would be like before they released it to the public so they can fix bugs and all before the final release. Unless of course, you were being sarcastic. If you were, just ignore everything I said

TheRotfler

Jul 31, 2013
Visit site
They asked "developers" to download it "if they wish" so they can have a preview of what the next OS iteration would be like before they released it to the public so they can fix bugs and all before the final release.

So, even you are confirming this is a BETA version, not a RTM (nor something close,) as advertised by MS and even by WPC articles.
We are not bypassing carriers, we are all beta testers. That's just what I said.

Jaskys

Banned
Jan 23, 2013
Visit site
Yes, it's a final release, however with all those problems it might get fixed or delayed
Most of stuff is up to OEMs right now

Cryio

Oct 6, 2013
Visit site
Alpha = Not feature complete yet, show stopping bugs
Beta = Feature complete, no show stopping bugs, still a lot of bugs
Release Candidate (RC) = Feature complete, maybe/some bugs, pretty much good to go, if there is nothing seriously wrong with it, it's good for release.

The 8.1 update we got in Developer Preview is a Release Candidate, if we take all in consideration. Yes, this is the final form of the update. All features are in. Things that were removed like Hubs were made for Apps to put back in and other stuff like background images for Photos are gone for good, for now, in update 8.1. For now we can hope/expect that WP8.1 GDR1/2/3 or maybe even WP 8.2 to make things right again.

But this is under no circumstance the same version normal users will get when Nokia launches their Lumia Cyan firmware update. Expect another one, two even three more updates to fix bugs and make the thing faster, smoother and more stable than W8 GDR3 has been.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb