Preview for Developers same as final WP8.1 for general public ?

coolraoul

Jul 11, 2013
Visit site
Dev preview is the same release that was sent to manufacturers. It is the official RTM 8.1, same as you will find next month on the Lumia 635 shipping with the official 8.1.

It is not a beta. A phone with 8.1 preview will not re-download 8.1 once the carrier will officially release 8.1.

However MS might issue an update to fix some issues that were revealed due to the feedback of users having dev preview.

meddyrainzo

Apr 20, 2012
Visit site
So, even you are confirming this is a BETA version, not a RTM (nor something close,) as advertised by MS and even by WPC articles.
We are not bypassing carriers, we are all beta testers. That's just what I said.

Nope this is not a Beta version, this is an RC version(read Cryio's post for more on that). No new features would be added, no serious bugs are present just a few minor bugs present in some devices and absent in others(Some people are complaining about battery drain on their 1520. I'm not experiencing any of that).
Normally, when a product is still at beta stage, beta testers test different incarnations of the product. Here we have one version of the 8.1 released in the dev preview. This is not a beta version.
Furthermore, you said MS should pay you to test their product (although I take it you were joking when you said this) and I'm telling you that this preview is not for everyone but for developers only. But MS was kind enough to make it available to all those who want to have it.

meddyrainzo

Apr 20, 2012
Visit site
Dev preview is the same release that was sent to manufacturers. It is the official RTM 8.1, same as you will find next month on the Lumia 635 shipping with the official 8.1.

It is not a beta. A phone with 8.1 preview will not re-download 8.1 once the carrier will officially release 8.1.

However MS might issue an update to fix some issues that were revealed due to the feedback of users having dev preview.

Exactly

TheRotfler

Jul 31, 2013
Visit site
Nope this is not a Beta version, this is an RC version
So still not an RTM.

Furthermore, you said MS should pay you to test their product (although I take it you were joking when you said this) and I'm telling you that this preview is not for everyone but for developers only. But MS was kind enough to make it available to all those who want to have it.

Yaaawn... You, as an MS ******, can think anything you want, I don't care.
I think, instead, that hiding on words is not kind.
Writing in title "Developers" and, at the same time, advertising it as a way to bypass carriers and get new OS version (which is supposed to be stable and reliable), is not kind.

However, I think you can't (don't want) understand this, as any other MS ******, so it's totally useless going on with replying.
Bye.

meddyrainzo

Apr 20, 2012
Visit site
So still not an RTM.

Yaaawn... You, as an MS ******, can think anything you want, I don't care.
I think, instead, that hiding on words is not kind.
Writing in title "Developers" and, at the same time, advertising it as a way to bypass carriers and get new OS version (which is supposed to be stable and reliable), is not kind.

However, I think you can't (don't want) understand this, as any other MS ******, so it's totally useless going on with replying.
Bye.

I like how you go the "MS ******" route instead of admitting you were off.
This was never advertised as "a way to bypass carriers" by MS and until you can show me proof of where "Microsoft" said this, you're off.
And to suggest MS should pay you for what they didn't specifically ask you to do...in fact, what you aren't supposed to do(since you are no developer) is *insert facepalm here*.

Yes, I'm a fan of what MS is doing, but also a fan of Android(the note series at least) so labelling me a MS ****** is another area where you're off at.
People go into name calling once they realize they've lost an argument :).

TheRotfler

Jul 31, 2013
Visit site
I like how you go the "MS ******" route instead of admitting you were off.
I like how you talk only about a word (******, and judging your reaction I was well right) and ignore my first reply: RC != RTM.
You're off, dude, not me.

So, now you can go on playing with words, just as MS did.

pat pat

meddyrainzo

Apr 20, 2012
Visit site
I like how you talk only about a word (******, and judging your reaction I was well right) and ignore my first reply: RC != RTM.
You're off, dude, not me.

So, now you can go on playing with words, just as MS did.

pat pat

Yet you provide no proof as to where MS said this was the RTM version and the preview is a way to bypass carriers.
Nothing to support your "play with words" argument you've been saying over and over.
Sigh. Pointless

TheRotfler

Jul 31, 2013
Visit site
Yet you provide no proof as to where MS said this was the RTM version and the preview is a way to bypass carriers.
Nothing to support your "play with words" argument you've been saying over and over.
Sigh. Pointless

Dude, did you expect me searching through WPC articles only because of you? ROTFL
I don't care if you think you're right or not.

What's your point? Can't you deal with people that doesn't like what you like? Do you want to force me to install next Dev Prev?
This is NOT a RTM. Call it wahtever you want, it isn't a stable and reliable OS update.
No software has no bugs, I didn't expect such a thing. Surely, WPC and MS didn't explain enough what we was going to installing, so I will never install a Dev Prev again.

That's what I think. Aren't you agree? Ok, you've said to me.
Now stop your stupid war.

Kaushik Dash

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site
This could be the final release (in a sense they won't add any new features) but I highly doubt that they will not update the dev preview anymore. The amount of bugs is more than there ever was in WP8(.1). I am sure they will soon get some updates through to optimise WP8.1 for low memory devices (I am talking about lag, battery life and OS in general.)

mikeycl

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
I think some perspective is needed here.

RC = Release Canididate. This is a final build prior to RTM that normally contains a full feature freeze and is tested to see if there are any Show stopping bugs prior to RTM. If any are found then they are fixed and a new RC is released until the major bugs are squashed

RTM = Release to Manufacturers. this is a version that has passed RC and is pushed out to the manufacturers so they can begin building devices and create driver and software packages etc.

When the handsets and the firmware updates are released that Version is known as the GA or General Availability Release. This is the final build which include any fixes for found bugs and driver updates from manutfacturers which should technically be bug free (but what software is?)

there is a lot of confusion over what would be a final release and RTM. And this is causing the Flame wars and general insulting of other users.

the dev preview version we have volunteered to use is the RTM build. This is in no way the final or GA release. There are bugs admittedly but this is the period where they are found by people like us and the hardware manufacturers and they are then resolved and cleared up before the GA release.

Microsoft have never officially touted this as a way of bypassing both handset manufacturers and network operators to get the OS early. it is however clearly stated that this should be used by developers and "enthusiasts" who know what they are doing and realise things can go wrong and it they do they are effectively on their own (with the exception of public forums like this).

Sabre Wulf

Jun 13, 2013
Visit site
Microsoft will do whatever is necessary to get rid of important bugs that can harm the success of Windows phone, at any point in time. Right now, the one thing that spells failure with 8.1 is the battery drain problem. I fully expect that to be addressed when the update is available to the public at large. But they need to collect the bugs, with repros, from all us beta testers, triage them and get the important ones fixed before release. I just don't know where they are doing that.

Lance_WPCentral

Nov 22, 2013
Visit site
I think some perspective is needed here.

RC = Release Canididate. This is a final build prior to RTM that normally contains a full feature freeze and is tested to see if there are any Show stopping bugs prior to RTM. If any are found then they are fixed and a new RC is released until the major bugs are squashed

RTM = Release to Manufacturers. this is a version that has passed RC and is pushed out to the manufacturers so they can begin building devices and create driver and software packages etc.

When the handsets and the firmware updates are released that Version is known as the GA or General Availability Release. This is the final build which include any fixes for found bugs and driver updates from manutfacturers which should technically be bug free (but what software is?)

there is a lot of confusion over what would be a final release and RTM. And this is causing the Flame wars and general insulting of other users.

the dev preview version we have volunteered to use is the RTM build. This is in no way the final or GA release. There are bugs admittedly but this is the period where they are found by people like us and the hardware manufacturers and they are then resolved and cleared up before the GA release.

Microsoft have never officially touted this as a way of bypassing both handset manufacturers and network operators to get the OS early. it is however clearly stated that this should be used by developers and "enthusiasts" who know what they are doing and realise things can go wrong and it they do they are effectively on their own (with the exception of public forums like this).
This is an excellent insight you have provided on the various terms and process flow. Now I have got a clearer picture of things. Thanks mate !

This could be the final release (in a sense they won't add any new features) but I highly doubt that they will not update the dev preview anymore. The amount of bugs is more than there ever was in WP8(.1). I am sure they will soon get some updates through to optimise WP8.1 for low memory devices (I am talking about lag, battery life and OS in general.)
I think the battery life would get solved by the firmware released by the OEM's for eg : Nokia Cyan firmware (in case of Lumia phones)

slyronit

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site
I think this is the final version because new phones with 8.1 are scheduled to ship in 15 days. That doesn't mean there won't be bug fixes down the line

AshBak

Apr 17, 2014
Visit site
Installed WP8.1 DP as soon as it released and found it wonderful for a while. However, the more I use it, the more problems I find. Some of them are listed below:

1. Phone restarts itself, several times a day, without any apparent reason. I had this problem earlier, but GDR3 corrected it. Now it's back again. (My app list is the same as what it was before 8.1, so none of the apps are causing this)
2. Proximity sensor stops working frequently, and I have to restart the device to make it start working again. As in point 1, I had this problem earlier too, but GDR3 corrected it. Now it's back again.
3. I do some heavy work for like a minute, and then I go back to the start screen to find that the icons on the tiles are missing. It 2-3 seconds for them to appear again (as if they are refreshing).
4. Icons on the app list disappear frequently and take a second or two to reappear.
5. Photo hub is slow now. It always takes a second or two to load my albums (feels like I'm using a website, that takes a moment to download a page - doesn't feel like I'm accessing a local gallery). This was never an issue before WP8.1.
6. Updated XBox music is poor. It keeps on loading my collection endlessly. The experience seems so .. "restless". It feels as if I'm accessing music on the internet and not my locally stored collection. 3rd party apps no more show up in the music app. This music experience is way poorer that what we had on WP8. Video app isn't good either.
7. Phone hangs up a lot.
8. Cortana has suddenly started crashing. It now crashes, every single time, within a few seconds of starting.
9. My phone lies with a blank black screen as I write this. It's unresponsive and only a soft reset will get it to restart. I've already done a soft reset at least 5 times and a hard reset twice, since April 14, 2014.
10. Phone takes forever to restart.
11. Whatsapp works fine when I open it by tapping on the app icon, but it ALWAYS crashes when I open it from a toast notification.

I'm an avid fan of WP, and I know this is only a developer's preview, but what scares me is that it's the "almost final" release of WP8.1. I just hope Microsoft realizes these issues and irons all glitches out, and MS and Nokia bring out the remaining portion of the update soon. But it'll seem to be a long long wait, even longer and more tiring that my initial wait for WP8.1, 'coz for now, I'm stuck with this piece of BS.

jhoff80

Apr 27, 2003
Visit site

prasath1234

Oct 28, 2013
Visit site
Except lack of notification nd little battery drain due to cortana I think I have no problem with wp8.1 .turn of all background task in battery saver app.

Sent from my C2305 using WPCentral Forums mobile app

Xpider_MX

Aug 4, 2012
Visit site
I think this is a preview and Microsoft made it easily available in order to gauge the reaction and feedback of its users.

No, the reason of the preview is for developers (it is called "Preview for develoepers") can test their apps in a real phone. It is not for final user.

But some people (I don't know why) was thinking that they were getting the same experience than the version that will be released with next firmware update.

Lance_WPCentral

Nov 22, 2013
Visit site
I remember telling all my friends at work the day WP8.1 dev preview released, now you guys can take your Android phones and throw them out cause they would be no match to my WP. Then as I kept browsing WPCentral and saw the number of bugs being reported I said to my self I'm gonna get beaten up badly now for issuing that statement. I myself didn't install the dev preview and told my friends who have a WP not to install it too as it isn't stable at the moment. I hope fixing the bugs doesn't take long or else we are heading in for a seriously delay for the final or GA release.

MikeSo

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
I feel like screaming reading this thread. THIS IS THE RELEASE VERSION OF WINDOWS PHONE 8.1!!!!

Update 3 was the same when it came out as Developer Preview was.
This is not a beta.
This is not a test version.

THIS IS THE VERSION OF WINDOWS PHONE 8.1 THAT IS INTENDED FOR THE PUBLIC AND THAT WILL BE ON THE FIRST 630/635/930 PHONES THAT COME OUT SHORTLY.
It is the version sent out to reviewers, it is what Microsoft is releasing.

The reason it's a "Developer Preview" is so 1) MS can do its "enthusiast program" and allow the biggest "fans" to bypass the carriers and 2) get developers to write apps for the OS so they are available when it comes out.

This is not a beta version. It is the real thing.

Will there be bug fixes? Of course, every OS gets them. There might even be some bug fixes right away when it comes out, and of course there will be fixes and changes down the road. But nothing major will change before the OS comes out from the carriers.

Why is this such a tough concept to grasp?

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chuffster