Possible battery life solution and new bug

sgraphics

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
Going to try tips such as disabling theme syncing (doesn't mean anything to me) and disabling battery saver. That latter seems like it might work, because this whole problem is beyond explanation, and I'm left to conclude that a new service in 8.1 is going rouge in terms of battery consumption, and battery saver seems as good of a candidate as any.

I'm very desperate, because I used to easily get 18+ hours of battery. Average of 20+, minimum of 12 when I was really going at it with games and such, an a maximum of a fair 25 hours (once went 44 hours without charging when I was really frugal). But now, my phone is struggling to last 12 hours, even when it standby mostly! This is unacceptable, and I'm really desperate. I used to brag about how, because Windows Phone is such an optimized OS, it got such amazing battery life. Even used to poke fun at all my iPhone and Android friends for having to be wall huggers, as they were always desperate to charge their phones.

Well, looks like I'm going to have to join them unless I find a way to restore battery consumption to its old rate. Standby times are slightly worse, but not too bad. However, whenever the screen is on (doesn't matter what I'm doing) the battery gets SLAUGHTERED. Even just casual messaging really hits the battery hard.

I love 8.1 with all my heart and soul, but the significant reduction in battery life leaves me very sad...

I feel 100% the same. Good point about "Standby times are slightly worse, but not too bad. However, whenever the screen is on (doesn't matter what I'm doing) the battery gets SLAUGHTERED".

Btw, what phone do you have?

Narathan

May 11, 2013
Visit site
I turned off 'Advertising id ' and I'm on 19% with roughly 13 hours of decent use. Maybe its a placebo, or something else but the first two days I was lucky to get around 8 hours of usage. People were shocked to see me hunting for an outlet for the first time during class. :wink:

I made some changes as some of you suggested here as well and disabled Sync Contacts on my GMail account. I remember that causing some issues back in the earlier days of 8.0 with battery drain.

I'll let it drain down to 5-10% and fully charge it overnight and see what tomorrow brings. HTC 8X.

SwimSwim

Feb 1, 2013
Visit site
I feel 100% the same. Good point about "Standby times are slightly worse, but not too bad. However, whenever the screen is on (doesn't matter what I'm doing) the battery gets SLAUGHTERED".

Btw, what phone do you have?

Black AT&T 1020. I really want to know what's causing it. I mildly suspect the Start Screen backgrounds might play a role, as parallax effects can be somewhat resource intensive.

Oliverspin

Mar 27, 2014
Visit site
Model: Lumia 928
Provider: Verizon
Battery Performance: After 8.1 Preview was downloaded, I noticed a small, but noticeable increase in my battery Discharge rate.

drufranco

Apr 17, 2014
Visit site
Here's an official answer of the Windows Phone Support Team: The first day after updating your device you can expect some battery consumption due to the reinstallation of all applications and normal restoration that may occur post update.
This makes the most sense to me and what I was thinking when I wrote on a different post that after a day or so of messing around with all the settings that it just settled down and started working again along with my changes that I would have made regardless. Coming from iOS and their stale look and boring updates I am SO pleased with the new features and "eye popping" Microsoft OS!

sban85

Mar 12, 2014
Visit site
so this is after a full charge, lumia 1020, 2 email accounts on 30 min syncs, 3 accounts on 2 hour syncs and 1 daily sync. will post as I use normally throughout the rest of the day. p.s just taking screenshots and accessing IE has dropped battery by 2% ...
wp_ss_20140417_0001.jpg
wp_ss_20140417_0002.jpg
wp_ss_20140417_0003.jpg

Derausgewanderte

Dec 18, 2011
Visit site
dang! thanks for the tip! I was wondering why my wife's L920 was doing great in batter life and mine sucked even after disabling all kinds of background tasks. Turns out my wife only has one email account and I have two gmail accounts. Made the changes and will see how that turns out. I am positive this is it.

SwimSwim

Feb 1, 2013
Visit site
Gmail does seem to perhaps be the issue. Still investigating, but this is a promising lead. Thanks for the tips guys!

Still not where it was, but at least my phone's battery is normalizing.

rdubmu

May 25, 2011
Visit site
My YAHOO! Mail doesnt have the "as item arrives" option anymore, wich is a pain cause i need that account to show me mails as soon as it arrives.
Now I must choose between "based on usage" / "15 minutes" / "30 minutes" / "1 hour" / "2 hours" / "manually".
Can someone help me?

Note: Hotmail DOES have the "as item arrives" option. still.

You will only have an as items arrive on yahoo if you subscribe to yahoo mail plus

Sent from my LG-D801 using Tapatalk

Svetoslav Enkov

Aug 10, 2013
Visit site
Finally I just turned off BATTERY SAVER and guess what, everything is working again. Even my notifications started working (coincidence or not). This may not help everyone but it worked for me on my Verizon Nokia Lumia Icon.

What do you mean with turning off Battery Saver? Turn off running the Battery Saver app in the background or in the Battery Saver settings turning of the Battery Saver mode when the battery is under 20%? What exactly you do?

Blade800

Nov 4, 2012
Visit site
I have the same problem. I charged the battery last night. The phone was in standby mode by night, in the morning i was using messenger for like 10 minutes and the battery was down to 80%. Usually by night, the battery would go down with 3% max. I tried to change that gmail stuff. Any more tips ? This is terrible.

Vindies37

Feb 26, 2014
Visit site
my battery last quite ok (I can use it for like 17hrs with internet, wi-fi calls via viber and skype) ... but this is just irritating

wp_ss_20140418_0001.png

CharlieBoy1894

Feb 18, 2014
Visit site
I think the battery saver is exaggerated. I used Internet Explorer and WPCentral app for like 3 minutes and it shows that those apps are eating a lot of battery. Maybe in the cyan update it will be accurate since it's like in the beta phase right now.

Blade800

Nov 4, 2012
Visit site
I think the battery saver is exaggerated. I used Internet Explorer and WPCentral app for like 3 minutes and it shows that those apps are eating a lot of battery. Maybe in the cyan update it will be accurate since it's like in the beta phase right now.

No its not the beta phase. This is the final build. Cyan is just a firmware which will allow support for bluetooth and usb connections etc. and few minor tweeks and fixes.

If this is beta it would be released much much earlier.

anon8773316

Apr 17, 2014
Visit site
Update 2:

My finally reached the energy saving mode. Well it looks like it worked for me. I reached 22 hours with one charge. I turned my phone off over night, so it was about 14 hours active.

My settings are:
Lumia 925

Background apps:
Whatsapp
Energy saving
WP Central
Facebook
Internet Explorer
Bing Weather
Bing News
Calendar

Two mail accounts(one of them is outlook) are set to "as items arrive".

Again, this was what I changed to reach a better battery life:
"SETTINGS" -> "sync my settings" -> "Theme" and "Passwords" disabled.

I hope this will work for you as well!

Good luck and have a nice day :)

wp_ss_20140418_0002.jpg

realwarder

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
Hi guys,
edit: ok. realised the problem was with a battery app i was using. the app was "battery" or something like that. Thanks to Talderon for showing that awesome app that I had to download it, thus solving my problem. :D

So was the problem not email but was the "Battery" app? What awesome app are you referencing?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taylormcintire