I'm worried about all the changes and complaints

crystal_planet

Jul 6, 2012
Visit site
Re: Windows Phone 8.1 is going to suck a long time

This is RTM version, it's already getting shafted on the new phones... Dev preview just lets you get it earlier than OEMS prepares it for you devices or carriers decides to give it to you
It isn't an actual beta, but with that many issues i can see RTM getting delayed and fixed properly, because now it's ridiculous

R.I.P - WP It was good while it lasted

Oh my God. I'm so sorry. Are you going to be okay?

Listen, if you need some therapy or a shoulder to cry on, I'm here my friend.

I can't help but think Microsoft screwed up 8.1 on purpose because it hates everyone but Americans. It simply does not care about anyone else.[/sarcasm]

Okay. I'm kidding. I think you are being a touch dramatic - and by "touch" I actually mean "a boatload". I like the update - I'm not a sunshine pumper, but the features many were screaming for since the dawn of time are here. Yes, there are flaws - but if you don't like them you can either wait or go somewhere else.

It's pretty simple.

Soumyasish D

Jan 30, 2014
Visit site
hello can anyone confirm with the issue I'm facing with my lumia 720 the bluetooth icon not showing up at top while switched on.... Im not whining about the issue just want to know if anyone facing the same ... :)

somebody please confirm if its a issue or not.. :(

Last edited:

fiveaces01

Jul 24, 2013
Visit site
First off let me say I am glad that Facebook is not so deeply rooted in the os. I don't use it. If I want to talk to my friends or associates I call or text. What I do use my phone for is internet access (usually information related), checking email, GPS navigation, personal assistant and day planner (love Cortana!) and MUSIC. The only problem I have had with the update is the inability to see IE in the desktop mode, even when it is set to display that way. Hopefully this is something MS intends to fix. Can't imagine they would have left the option there if it was not intended to be functional. I have been a vocal and frequent critic of the Xbox Music App at this site. I loved all the steady improvements they had made to the Music Hub and the ability to have the Live Tile showing the artist now playing. I even had the ability to use the MPATool app to choose pics of the artist I liked as the background art for that tile. Everyone that saw my phone marveled at how cool it looked. All of that is gone. For what reason? I have read long and hard and the only response I have seen is that it was so they could send out updates easier. I am not buying that as the reason...especially considering how many updates we saw in the last 18 months. I love my WP..still a big supporter of the os, I just want some reasonably attractive and functional local music file player.

jomarr

Sep 12, 2012
Visit site
I am disappointed with the outing of the Facebook integration with Messaging just because it circumvents the filter of the firewall in my office. Facebook is banned from the office and that's the only way I could use chat.

Another thing is Xbox Music is crap.

But overall, I am pretty satisfied with the update. Initial releases of software updates are always buggy. We couldn't really expect WP 8.1 to be running flawlessly 100%. We know this is the full version and basically not a preview but as a WPCentral member you should know that this will be buggy and that's why Microsoft still isn't rolling it out. They want people who truly follow Microsoft to have a taste of Windows Phone 8.1 and to know what they like and dislike. Of course this is the real deal but we shouldn't really expect it to run perfectly. Hell, even KitKat and iOS 7 suffered from major bugs when it was initially released, why the exception for Windows Phone?

All I'm saying is that Microsoft gave us the privilege to actually test it out first. Again this is the full version and these types of queries are minor and will be addressed shortly before the release of Windows Phone 8.1 devices. I'm not sure about Facebook integration going back just because Facebook Messenger runs perfectly. There are things that we should complain like glitches and bugs and there are some things we need to deal with like Facebook integration.

If you didn't like the update then you should've known better not to install it in the first place or at least let the others install first then get feedback from WPCentral.

StevoPhilo

Oct 7, 2013
Visit site
THe thing is, it is just that. It's a preview. What do you expect? If they did any fixes I would think that they would apply it to the final build rather than the preview and the final build. These bugs will get kinked out by the time 8.1 arrives

anon(5969054)

May 7, 2013
Visit site
THe thing is, it is just that. It's a preview. What do you expect? If they did any fixes I would think that they would apply it to the final build rather than the preview and the final build. These bugs will get kinked out by the time 8.1 arrives
Must we repeat ourselves a million times? This is FINAL. This is on the 630 next month.

stephen_az

Banned
Aug 2, 2012
Visit site

How is that rude? Seriously? That argument of you is mentioned all over the place but it's not valid!

Actually your statement was extremely rude and if you don't get it that is pretty sad. Leaving that aside, the fact that WP 8.1 is being released in NEW devices does not make the "preview" go away from the thing people are down loading. It is a preview that will be subject to adjustment and customization by both Microsoft and the OEMs over the next few months. People who do not understand this really should not play with previews. BTW, I have had one problem with the preview on my Lumia 928 - a nuisance when testing the narrator. Once I backed out of it, the preview has performed flawlessly.

BobLobIaw

Feb 22, 2013
Visit site
These threads serve a useful purpose, no doubt, but the title does remind me of one of my favorite slogans: worrying is like a rocking chair--it gives you something to do but doesn't get you anywhere.

anon(123856)

Feb 9, 2013
Visit site

This is RTM version, it's already getting shafted on the new phones... Dev preview just lets you get it earlier than OEMS prepares it for you devices or carriers decides to give it to you
It isn't an actual beta, but with that many issues i can see RTM getting delayed and fixed properly, because now it's ridiculous

R.I.P - WP It was good while it lasted
RIP? Really?

Darkgift

Oct 29, 2011
Visit site

This is a preview version. We install this knowing there will be bugs. The whole point of the pre-release is to get it out to sufficient numbers of people that Microsoft gets real world data on how WP8.1 performs. If you expected it to be perfect out of the box, you didn't read the Terms and Conditions when you downloaded Preview for Developers.

Bugs I can handle. The total omission of superior features is just outright unforgivable.

Darkgift

Oct 29, 2011
Visit site

Thank You Broose, I couldn't agree more. People need to stop whining about what's missing this is a "Preview" after all. The only part that is actually finalised is the core OS. The apps still need to be worked on. You'll probably find that in less than a month when the new handsets featuring WP8.1 are released the majority if not all of these issues will have been dealt with.

If you do have a problem with something be constructive about it don't Whine. Make a comment somewhere that microsoft is going to pay attention (Like HERE) and clearly state what the issue is and how you feel it should work best.

This then serves everyones best interests and makes for Happy users that use a platform which works for them.

This is not a preview in the sense that you mean. This is actually on new phones being manufactured now. This is the real deal, and it's an utter fail.

Darkgift

Oct 29, 2011
Visit site

I think if the removal of Facebook integration was necessary if it indeed will allow feature parity with the actual PC client and other mobile apps. While it might have been sufficient for some, it really wasn't for a serious user. Now, that's not to say what we have now is perfect. It's actually quite strange in function. I think in time, MS will figure out how to fine tune it.

Dude..I am a serious user, and it was an integral part of my device. The fact that its gone is abysmal. This is not WP. WP is dead. This WPAndroid. All any of us really wanted was to make some of the features better (and not remove them), give us a notification center, and cortana. Not this abomination.

Darkgift

Oct 29, 2011
Visit site

As far as communicating with my friends is concerned Yes. While having the one location for all messages (I loved it back in the days of WP7 etc) was convenient if i ever received Rich content (ie images or other things) then i couldn't view that in the built in message centre. All i would get was a URL which when touched would open up ie and never load the link properly for a variety of reasons.

The only way around that originally was to open the facebook app and check in there which was slow to load as i had to wait for the feeds to update before i could get to messaging. Now the facebook messenger app is available i get best of both worlds a quick loading app that gets to the point and allow me to properly view any content sent to me in chat by my friends.

The bug bear that came from that was having 3 different things notify me all at once. Granted I was able to turn of message notifications on the Facebook app but the messaging centre ties into the phone settings and as i want to keep my contacts facebook details i was stuck with that service being left on and driving me crazy every time i got a message.

Now with WP8.1 only one application tells me i have messages and i get properly informed of them via the "Action centre"

So tell me how is that not "better"???

It's just not. At least you could turn off notifications. and only be notified once. The convenience of inlene messenging was key. I could text someone, then fb msg them, and if they were on Skype/msgr, I could see them all in one thread. now I have to open 3 different apps and guess as to which one they are on. maybe they can't get a text at work. and if I wanted to do some serious fb messenging I had the CHOICE (that's the opporative word) togo and use the fb msgr app. now it's my only choice. utter bull shhiiitttttt.

Darkgift

Oct 29, 2011
Visit site

I saw this in another thread to do with Whatsapp. The workarounds are to try either disabling wifi sense or data sense.

I don't pay for work arounds. I pay for things I like, I want, and that work.

Darkgift

Oct 29, 2011
Visit site

I have a 625 on 8.1 and a 620 on 8.0. I have no reason to use the 8.0 phone sine the 8.1 one works better. I'm not an android fan or anything. I just like the increased customisability. Spent all night setting up custom alerts. So far I've had no problems at all. Try uninstalling/reinstalling
Hate to tell ya this, but with 8.1 you are now an Android fan. A watered down version of Android fan, but an Android fan none the less. I can't wait to upgrade my phone to the Icon next week, and leave at 8.0 and never update it.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BevitalGlucoPremium